Thread: Cheek piercing bump?

Default Cheek piercing bump?

Hello, I'm new here but I really need some help. I have read the bump thread, but I am confused as to what sort of bump this may be.
    I've had my cheeks pierced for a little under two months now, and a bump has developed over a two week period on my right hand piercing. I've been doing sea salt and chamomile soaks, but I'm not sure if it's time to get on a course of antibiotics - the bump is hard but when pushed down, white fluid comes out. I'm really worried about this, as I love my dimple piercings and I am very worried that if I do have to take them out, they will scar terribly. Of course, taking them out would only be a last option and only if it is completely necessary.

I am not sure what the bump is - whether it's a fluid pocket, a trapped salivary gland (god forbid), or just HP scarring. It's terribly swollen and bumpy on the inside of my mouth too, and the hardness spreads around the right side of the piercing - there almost seems to be a circular ball of hardness around the piercing. All I know is that it is not going away. Here is a photo of it, and an added link if that does not work.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sd15cjqt3t...11113329-1.jpg

Does anybody know what it is, and how I can get rid of it? My other side is healing quite nicely. I'd like to know if something like this ever will go away, otherwise I may aswell just retire them (so shortlived but hey ho).

Thanks for any input!
    Last edited by Cheshire; 04-11-2014 at 03:35 PM.
    Current: Angel bites, central labret, two cheek piercings, dermal in sternum, 2x stretched ears (18mm / 14mm), nostril
    Retired: Anti-eyebrow surface bar

Hi, I get smaller versions of these above my cheek piercings, haven't got them that big or below the piercing... I use sea salt soaks on them, they're called hypertropic scars. I've had my piercings for about 2 years, and for the most part, very few problems, but these do appear occasionally.

I'm trying out a new product that's a clear disc from a company called NoPullPiercings, I don't know if they're helping yet, though. I love my cheek piercings, I'd say if they're only 2 months and you like them try treating them first, do a search for hypertropic scars and see what people suggest? good luck! x

Quote Originally Posted by Cheshire View Post
    Hello, I'm new here but I really need some help. I have read the bump thread, but I am confused as to what sort of bump this may be.
    I've had my cheeks pierced for a little under two months now, and a bump has developed over a two week period on my right hand piercing. I've been doing sea salt and chamomile soaks, but I'm not sure if it's time to get on a course of antibiotics - the bump is hard but when pushed down, white fluid comes out. I'm really worried about this, as I love my dimple piercings and I am very worried that if I do have to take them out, they will scar terribly. Of course, taking them out would only be a last option and only if it is completely necessary.

I am not sure what the bump is - whether it's a fluid pocket, a trapped salivary gland (god forbid), or just HP scarring. It's terribly swollen and bumpy on the inside of my mouth too, and the hardness spreads around the right side of the piercing - there almost seems to be a circular ball of hardness around the piercing. All I know is that it is not going away. Here is a photo of it, and an added link if that does not work.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sd15cjqt3t...11113329-1.jpg

Does anybody know what it is, and how I can get rid of it? My other side is healing quite nicely. I'd like to know if something like this ever will go away, otherwise I may aswell just retire them (so shortlived but hey ho).

Thanks for any input!
    Ah, didn't see this for some reason! There's 2 extremely informative diaries in the experiences section and I think both go over these kinds of bumps which can be common with cheek piercings. I'll see if I can find them for you.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x6, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 91 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

This is one of them, it's very long but very informative and spans 2 years, she's not a member anymore but I'm sure she covers them, they can be or turn into abscesses which you seriously need to keep a very close eye out for and seek medical attention for.

Try hot compresses and light massage to see if you can draw anything out.

Thing is with cheeks is you can have this kind of thing going on for years on end, they can take an eternity to settle for some people and for some they never settle at all.

White fluid is likely to be lymph so you may have a build up going on. Antibiotics would be needed for a bacterial infection signs of which would be extreme swelling (above what you'll already have), lots of pain/throbbing, redness, oozing brown/green/dark yellow smelly pus, bleeding, hot to touch, general feeling of being unwell.

If you get some/all of those then seek medical attention. I'd go see a piercer if it's just the lump, did they not go over what may/can happen with cheeks? They're a mahooooooooooosive commitment.
    Last edited by Boo; 04-15-2014 at 12:50 AM.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x6, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

dpack_1

Quote Originally Posted by Hazel View Post
    This is one of them, it's very long but very informative and spans 2 years, she's not a member anymore but I'm sure she covers them, they can be or turn into abscesses which you seriously need to keep a very close eye out for and seek medical attention for.
    It's a shame that the most experienced and informative member we had regarding cheek piercings got banned for giving advice on... cheek piercings...

Either way, given the size and description of what you have going on here, there is no amount of home remedy that is going to help you, it's looking and sounding a lot like an abscess and seeing a doctor is an absolute must in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by dpack_1 View Post
    It's a shame that the most experienced and informative member we had regarding cheek piercings got banned for giving advice on... cheek piercings...
    Incorrect and not up for discussion. Please keep the thread on topic.

Thank you.

I had cheek piercings for almost 3 years. I retired them. That, my dear, looks like an abscess. The reason I say that is the signature "white" flaky line around the bump, if that makes sense. I had fluid pockets CONSTANTLY and they never looked like that, and were never that big. I also had what I call "internal" lumps that would pop up frequently, but with warm SS compresses, they would go away within a few days.

Fluid filled pockets look more like: http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/7162/bumpone.jpg

That is what mine looked like. However, abscesses look more like what you have going on. I would definitely go see a piercer, and probably a doctor for antibiotics. It is for that very reason (the notorious bumps) that I finally had to retire my cheek piercings. They remain (to this day) my favorite piercing, but the upkeep was just awful. Good luck!
    current piercings- ears: scalpelled 3/4", left ear: conch, triple forward helix. right ear: just the stretch. navel, venoms (double tongue), tongue web, left and right nostril, cheeks, VCH, septum, vertical labret

retired: 'monroe' x3, tragus, 2nd lobes, navel x1, center tongue ring, snake bites

tattoos: almost complete left sleeve, nape, ankle, stars on ribs and each hip, puzzle piece behind left ear, alice in wonderland thigh piece, "stay gold" right above feet

Any update on these? I got mine pierced two days ago and im searching the forum for as much info as I can get so im prepared should anything bad happen!

Quote Originally Posted by Danielle_Danielle View Post
    Any update on these? I got mine pierced two days ago and im searching the forum for as much info as I can get so im prepared should anything bad happen!
    Click on the link in my post above, it's a good diary.