Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My First Piercing (Lip)

Default My First Piercing (Lip)

Hello everyone, on Saturday I got my first ever piercing which was on my lower lip.

I THINK everything is fine with it but I worry about stuff all the time and am constantly worried about my piercing. I have been following the instructions my piercer gave me really well. The first few days everything seemed good, not much pain, seemed like the swelling wasn't too bad. Yesterday I felt like the back of the piercing is kind of sinking into my lip just a bit so I read more about it and it does seem normal. Skin isn't growing over it or anything. Today I woke up and felt like my lip is definitely swollen, is it normal for the swelling to kind of ramp up by the 5th/6th day of a new piercing?

Another question I have is a little less related to the aftercare but I am worried about something else :p I am getting some electrolysis done on my face in a week and am not sure if the piercing will need to be removed or if I can just leave it in for the whole appointment. I am really hoping for the latter! The day after I had gotten my piercing I was cleaning it and the stud fell off and I almost lost it. When I found it I couldn't get it back on and was panicking until I went to my neighbour and she got it back on for me. It hasn't came off since then and I am constantly scared of it coming off again. So if I have to take it out for the appointment that wouldn't be good since I can't get it back on, also I know fiddling with fresh piercings is bad as well. If I have to take it out I might just cancel the appointment which is really sad, maybe I should have waited to get pierced until after the electrolysis is done. I called the place that does the electrolysis but there was no one to answer the phone so I will call back later to ask again, since I am sure they would know.

Anyways I am sorry for the huge post and many questions. I appreciate any advice and/or answers you guys give! Thanks

The swelling etc you mention is normal.

I'd delay the electrolysis appt if you do have to remove it for that otherwise you're not going to be able to get it back in, oral piercings heal up extremely fast.

It won't be healed for a good 3 months or so and even after that you shouldn't be removing it for any prolonged length of time anyway.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 95 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

I will be really sad if I have to delay the appointment but it is probably much better than needing to get it repierced. I believe that it is made of surgical stainless? I guess I should have actually paid attention more because I am pretty sure he told me. That is what I recall him saying as he showed me all the stuff he was going to be using for the piercing.

Quote Originally Posted by KelseyC View Post
    I will be really sad if I have to delay the appointment but it is probably much better than needing to get it repierced. I believe that it is made of surgical stainless? I guess I should have actually paid attention more because I am pretty sure he told me. That is what I recall him saying as he showed me all the stuff he was going to be using for the piercing.
    Again, the swelling is normal even at day 5/6 and some nesting is fine as long as it's not totally embedding. If in the UK/EU then you should have been pierced with titanium, if it's steel keep a close eye on it for irritation as many people have nickel allergies.

What aftercare routine are you following?
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

I am in Canada, the laws might be different here. I suppose I didn't do too much research on the whole thing >.< apparently allergic reactions to what they use there are very rare he said so it will probably be fine I think.

I am using a non alcohol mouthwash after every thing I eat except water. I clean the outside 3-5 times a day with non iodized sea salt mixed with water and that is all he told me to do, so I have been doing that.

No they're not very rare but never mind, there's no law on metals used in Canada as far as I know.

Only use the mouthwash morning and night, plain water after eating/drinking. Sea salt rinse instead of mouthwash if you like. Sounds like you're overcleaning it to me. Less is often more.

How long would it take for me to have a reaction to the material if my body was going to have a reaction? In about a month he said to come back to get a shorter bar since he put it a long one for swelling, perhaps I could get a new one of better material?

I do feel like the mouthwash after every thing I eat is a lot, by plain water after eating/drinking do you mean just to clean my mouth out?

Quote Originally Posted by KelseyC View Post
    How long would it take for me to have a reaction to the material if my body was going to have a reaction? In about a month he said to come back to get a shorter bar since he put it a long one for swelling, perhaps I could get a new one of better material?

I do feel like the mouthwash after every thing I eat is a lot, by plain water after eating/drinking do you mean just to clean my mouth out?
    Impossible to answer really, the body can develop a reaction any time it wants to. Maybe ask for titanium at your downsize.

Yes just rinse with plain water.

I will very likely alter my routine with your advice, although I am kind of weird and it might feel wrong to change what I am doing.

I really appreciate all the answers and especially how timely they were after I had just made the thread thank you!

You're more than welcome and you can follow any advice you like! Just do what suits you but I do feel that overcleaning causes more problems than it solves.

Happy healing!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast