Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should there be laws against minors stretching their ears?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Should there be laws against minors stretching their ears?

I am currently a journalism student and I am writing an article about minors stretching their ears and I was hoping to get some opinions on this.

More and more young people are stretching their ears quickly and its becoming a trend in schools and often the speed and manner in which very young people do this can cause damage to their ears as they often do it quickly and without proper care.

-Should there be laws prohibiting this until a certain age e.g 16 or 18?

-Should people under a certain age be allowed to buy tapers etc?

-What age did you stretch and do you wish you had waited or that you had more information about it at the time?

-Do you have any horror stories about stretching young?

This is for my university course and I would appreciate hearing your views!

Thank you guys

I've never stretched my ears. I don't think it should be illegal, but I do think knowledge of the RIGHT way to stretch your ears needs to become more widespread. Maybe have it written on the back of every taper they buy.. "wait x time between stretches" "go from size x to x, never skip" etc. and make sure people selling tapers tell them that info. Because a lot of people just do whatever and assume it's okay, they have no idea they're actually doing the wrong thing.

If I was a piercer I wouldn't be selling tapers/large gauge jewellery to people under 16, but there's nothing to stop them buying online. Soo I think education is more important than prevention in this situation.
    -x-x-

Stacey ^^

"Creativity is the common culture of being a human being" - If a dog gets depressed, it won't drink whiskey or listen to Radiohead.

I have: Lobes x 3, Conch, tragus, daith, double forward helix, navel, VCH + 1 Tattoo

Retired: Helix (twice) :'(

Hi!

-Should there be laws prohibiting this until a certain age e.g 16 or 18? - No I think local authorities and the police etc have enough on their hands without having to enforce this as well. I also think parents need to educate themselves more about stretching being a permanent thing etc and then decide the boundaries for their own child.

-Should people under a certain age be allowed to buy tapers etc? - I know many piercers who don't even allow under 16's in their shops so that would stop that but no again it would be a nightmare to police and in all honesty a lot of them don't even buy the correct gear anyway so will carry on using pen lids etc

-What age did you stretch and do you wish you had waited or that you had more information about it at the time?- Umm, I think I was about 30 or 31 and I did a lot of research so no, didn't need to wait

-Do you have any horror stories about stretching young? - Other than the countless ones on here, I have none personally nor do I know anyone personally who had a horror story when young.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 95 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Its up to an individual i mean what are they going to do ban everything?

I never strechted my ears and I do think it maybe should be illigal for under 18 - but only to certain sizes.
    Eighteen because a majority of people only start getting pierced at that age and, as someone already mentioned, you likely won't even get into a piercing shop before then.

This because I don't reckon a lot of teens really think about the consequenses of creating a huge hole in your ear. I think maybe they could do it 1cm max and if they're still determined to get it at age 18 then go for it, but at least then they've had enough time to really think it through and consider the fact that, walking around with a fist-sized hole in your lobe might be attractive to you, but your future employer (or not) might not feel the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by TiffaniAC View Post
    I never strechted my ears and I do think it maybe should be illigal for under 18 - but only to certain sizes.
    Eighteen because a majority of people only start getting pierced at that age and, as someone already mentioned, you likely won't even get into a piercing shop before then.

This because I don't reckon a lot of teens really think about the consequenses of creating a huge hole in your ear. I think maybe they could do it 1cm max and if they're still determined to get it at age 18 then go for it, but at least then they've had enough time to really think it through and consider the fact that, walking around with a fist-sized hole in your lobe might be attractive to you, but your future employer (or not) might not feel the same way.
    That's an interesting one.

How would it be policed and who would be responsible? What would happen to those breaking the ear stretching law?

Also consider in some place people are adults at 16/17. Loads of kids get in crappy piercing shops.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Quote Originally Posted by Hazel View Post
    That's an interesting one.

How would it be policed and who would be responsible? What would happen to those breaking the ear stretching law?

Also consider in some place people are adults at 16/17. Loads of kids get in crappy piercing shops.
    By illigal I don't mean, anything like punishable by death! I mean maybe in the same way that children can't buy cigarettes under 16 - it's still done, but less.

And I do want to make it clear that I, personally, don't have anything against stretching, but I just feel like not enough people consider how it'll affect their chance of employment or even going to college (I think, I don't really know how the school system works in the UK or US or anywhere, really)

Quote Originally Posted by TiffaniAC View Post
    By illigal I don't mean, anything like punishable by death! I mean maybe in the same way that children can't buy cigarettes under 16 - it's still done, but less.
    No I didn't think you meant the death penalty...

Age for buying cigs here is 18. And if a shop owner is caught selling to under 18's they can face a fine, lose their license, go to prison etc, it's an actual offence regulated by Trading standards etc and the law courts.

I'm just interested as to how you think it could be managed and by who in the case of stretching. It was a genuine question

Honestly I think that a law against stretching before a certain age would just mean that teenagers are even less educated about stretching than they are now. They'd still do it, but they wouldn't be able to get advice from professional piercers or anything like that. There are loads of teenagers who stretch their ears really badly, and I'm sure a lot of them end up regretting it, but I really think better education is the way to go. Then again, it isn't exactly the easiest subject to educate people on. As shown by numerous people on the internet, when it comes to piercings/stretching, if someone tells them something they don't want to hear they simply won't listen. And of course you're always going to get the idiots saying "yeah well I stretched my ears from 1mm to 20mm in a month and they're fine!!!!!"

I didn't start stretching my ears properly until about a year ago, when I was almost sixteen. Thankfully by then I was sensible enough to do my research and stretch them the correct way, and I now have nice, healthy earlobes. However I do have a bit of a horror story. When I was fourteen, I went through a really embarassing rebellious phase, and thought it would be a good idea to stretch my left ear and keep it hidden from my mum (who was extremely anti-body modification back then, not that she's much different now but she accepts that it's my choice, not hers), but I didn't want to wear a taper in my ear like everyone else was doing (thank god) because it'd be too obvious. And I didn't have the money for a taper AND a plug... so I bought a 2mm plug and attempted to shove it through my 1.2mm lobe. Smart. Thankfully the result wasn't too disastrous - after an hour of pain and struggling to force it through my lobe I gave up. But it still damaged my lobe slightly - even now it's been slightly more difficult to stretch than my right one.
    I have:
    7mm left lobe, 10mm right lobe, 2nd lobes, snakebites, right double helix, left conch, septum, tongue web.
    I want:
    10mm lobes, double nostrils, left tragus, venoms.

I think making it against the law would probably encourage people to use silly and harmful methods to stretch their ears :(

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast