Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wanted this tattoo for so long and now...

Default Wanted this tattoo for so long and now...

... and now I'm a little hurt.

I know not everyone is a fan of tribal style tats, but I've always thought they were really cool if someone took the time to have one custom done. I've been wanting to get one on my upper arm that wraps down around my right shoulder blade. I've been working for over 2 years designing it, throwing it out, redesigning it, tossing it again, and I've FINALLY come up with a design I'm happy with. I was super excited and then one of my 'friends' went on and on about how unoriginal people think tribal tattoos are and how they, "don't mean anything." He just kept it up saying that a lot of tattoo artists make fun of tribal tats. I don't usually care what others think, but this design was really special to me and I've put so much work into it and suddenly it feels run of the mill.

So I went online to see if all this was true, and it kinda seems it is. I had no idea there was THIS much hate on tribal tats. Most of the comments seem unfair. People claiming that they don't mean anything and they're just lines. :/ So I was wondering what other people have to say about tribal designs and if you have some can I see?
    The Works: Lobes x4, Helix x3, Tragus, Industrial, Septum, Snakebites, Navel, Both Nipples, Tongue.

Retired: Eyebrow x2.

ON SECOND THOUGHT I think I've figured out a better idea. I'm going to put this project on the back burner and maybe incorporate it into the background of a different idea I've been designing. It will definitely be more original that way and I think I just like the idea better overall. Would still like to hear people's opinions though on tribal tattoos if people want to share.
    The Works: Lobes x4, Helix x3, Tragus, Industrial, Septum, Snakebites, Navel, Both Nipples, Tongue.

I don't understand the hate, I think some of them look really cool ! They're not something I would get, but I'd never have the audacity to assume someone's tattoo means nothing to them ! If it's a nice design that's a bit creative and fits well with your body, and is well executed, there is no reason it can't be awesome

Don't let negative views put you off getting it done. Be the person who gets the tribal tattoo that will change peoples' minds about them.
    -x-x-

Stacey ^^

"Creativity is the common culture of being a human being" - If a dog gets depressed, it won't drink whiskey or listen to Radiohead.

I have: Lobes x 3, Conch, tragus, daith, double forward helix, navel, VCH + 1 Tattoo

Retired: Helix (twice) :'(

I don't like them personally so wouldn't get one on me but the only opinion on your tattoo that should matter is yours.

So this all comes down to who are you getting the tattoo for? Yourself? Or the opinions of others? If what other people think of your tattoos is of importance to you (and there's nothing wrong with that) then don't get it done. If you can put the thoughts of others out your mind then get it.

I had a small tribal style thing on my arm back in 1997, I didn't even know what tribal was or anything, it was just something I came up with as part of a larger design of something else. I've had it covered but mainly because it was very poorly done, not thought out etc. What anyone else thought of it I couldn't give a toss.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x4, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, lip dermal filler
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 86 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Facebook
    UK Jewellery Network

I disagree, people seem to think tribal is limited to mega thick bold/large solid designs like this:

when it's not always the case:

I think as long as it suits the curvature of the body (as with any tattoo) then you don't need any type of muscle definition or structure.
    Last edited by Hazel; 04-03-2014 at 02:54 PM.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x4, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, lip dermal filler
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Facebook
    UK Jewellery Network

I understand that tribal designs are somewhat common. But then again, whatisn't anymore? Fairies, stars, skulls? I have a dragon tattoo; that's hardly original. My mother also has a dragon tattoo, at least two of my friends have dragon tattoos (one of them has about five dragon tattoos). They're all different in design and meaning; just like tribal tattoos.

To be honest, for everyone that thinks your tattoo is brilliant, someone else will hate it. I had a really shitty tattoo (looked like a five year old had drawn it) and yet I had friends who genuinely loved it and don't like the cover up (which is significantly better). My dad doesn't like my new tattoo; it's 'too big' for a girl. Other people love the colours. So, as long as you like it, who gives a monkeys what anyone else thinks? I understand it must be demoralising to hear it and you don't want to pay to make a mistake that you'll have to live with, but, honestly? If you like it, why does anyone else's opinion matter? =)
    Piercings
    3x Standard Lobe
    1x 4mm Lobe
    2x Helix
    1x Rook
    2x Navel

1x Nipple
    1x Faux Snug (1x Conch/1x Helix)
    1x Triangle

Tattoos
    Side Piece; 5.5 hours

I know you guys are all right, I shouldn't care what others think, and to be honest I don't. I KNOW this piece means something and that's all that matters and I know that I put a butt ton of time in it. It's not picked out of a book or run-of-the-mill. It's one of a kind. Down to every detail, how it would flow, etc. I think I just let this one person bum me out cause I was so excited. But I have a better idea now because of it. I'm going to wait on the tribal piece cause I want to do this other thing first now to make sure the tribal won't be in the way of it first than later get the tribal to go with it. I'm once again very excited about it. Thank you everyone for your opinions. I feel ashamed to have let one dumb person's comments get to me. We're only human though I guess. lol.

You shouldn't feel ashamed, it's all well and good to tell others not to care but sometimes when it gets to us, it just DOES. It happens to everyone.

I'm so pleased you're excited about it again ^_^
    Last edited by Hazel; 04-04-2014 at 09:09 AM.

Facebook
    UK Jewellery Network

Quote Originally Posted by Hazel View Post
    You should feel ashamed, it's all well and good to tell others not to care but sometimes when it gets to us, it just DOES. It happens to everyone.

I'm so pleased you're excited about it again ^_^
    *Shouldn't ??
    -x-x-

Stacey ^^

"Creativity is the common culture of being a human being" - If a dog gets depressed, it won't drink whiskey or listen to Radiohead.

I have: Lobes x 3, Conch, tragus, daith, double forward helix, navel, VCH + 1 Tattoo

Retired: Helix (twice) :'(

Quote Originally Posted by Toofwess View Post
    *Shouldn't ??
    Thanks

Facebook
    UK Jewellery Network

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast