Thread: Really swollen rook :(

Unhappy Really swollen rook :(

Hi guys! First off, I'm new here so - hello!

Secondly, I got my rook done last Friday, hooray! However, I'm quite a nervous nelly about the healing process as my last piercing was around 7/8 years ago.. I can't remember what it was like.

So here's a picture of my ear: Left = Friday, the first day it was done, Right = yesterday, 4 days after it was done and the bottom = today after I've had a little soak. Sorry for the stupid angles, it's really hard to get a straight, in focus picture when you can't see it! hahaha

My question is, does the swelling look normal? The first 3 days I had no pain at all and just blood, though since day 4 when the crusties have come along, so has a lot of pain and swelling, so I've been trying to soak it and I've been taking ibuprofen. And also, how have you soaked your cartilage piercings before? They're so awkward and cotton pads don't feel like they're doing it as well.

Rooks are notoriously tricky. Take ibuprofen if you can, keep hydrated and sleep with your head elevated. Get a mug full of whatever you soak with (chamomile tea is so soothing on cartilage) put it on the sideboard/kitchen counter with a towel underneath and dunk ear in. Or just rinse it in the ad shower. You could try a cold water soak to try and get rid of swelling but honestly it just wants to be left alone.

Now
    : 11mm lobes. 6mm septum.
    helix. tongue. rook. 5mm conch punches L & R.
    central labret. industrial. double nostrils.
    philtrum. tattoos.

Retired: snakebites. nostril x 2. 2nd & 3rd lobes.
    helix. outer conch. nipple.

Next: tattoos.

Tumblr. Facebook.

It does look quite swollen, but it is early days. Keep an eye out for the swelling spreading any further down your ear, the piercing site throbbing excessively, feeling hot to touch etc and if any lovely gunk starts coming out of it other than normal lymph.
    Stabbings I still have
    Right ear
    : 2 x helix, conch & rook
    Left ear: helix, conch & tragus
    Tongue web, nostril, septum
    Triangle, VCH & 2 x outers

My rook swelled up pretty badly when I first had it pierced. I would say it's fairly normal and, currently, isn't anything you should worry about. If it remains swollen for quite some time, then you may have issues, but at less than a week old, it's probably just doing regular, fresh rook things. =)

Hope the swelling goes down soon though! I know how painful it can be!
    Piercings
    3x Standard Lobe
    1x 4mm Lobe
    2x Helix
    1x Rook
    2x Navel

1x Nipple
    1x Faux Snug (1x Conch/1x Helix)
    1x Triangle
    1x Septum
    1x Daith

Tattoos
    Side Piece; 5.5 hours

Other
    1x Magnetic Implant

Quote Originally Posted by polythene_girl View Post
    It does look quite swollen, but it is early days. Keep an eye out for the swelling spreading any further down your ear, the piercing site throbbing excessively, feeling hot to touch etc and if any lovely gunk starts coming out of it other than normal lymph.
    Exactly this, hope it settles soon.

You may want to do cool/cold soaks.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x6, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 91 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Thanks guys! I'm just a nervous nelly about this and needed some reassurance haha. Fresh box of ibuprofen has just been delivered by my housemate, what a god send.
    19 year old vegetarian neuroscientist.
    Current - Lobes x2, Right helix, Left Rook

Retired - Right industrial :(
    Want - Left nostril, Nipple (maybe 2!), Tragus, Conch

Tumblr

So I woke up today with a lot of gross ear crust and blood, however my ear was a lot less red than the past few days and I've not had to take a pain killer yet! I think the surrounding swelling has also gone down a little. I do think the back of my ear is a little swollen or bruised though, as when I put my glasses on it feels a bit sore eek.

More pictures! First as I woke up, my rook is a little tucked in, so I can't see it without my handy iPad front camera (hence the gross picture) and just another after cleaning and a SSS (you can see the ring around my ear where I've had the glass! ) so it looks a little pinker.

19 year old vegetarian neuroscientist.
    Current - Lobes x2, Right helix, Left Rook

Retired - Right industrial :(
    Want - Left nostril, Nipple (maybe 2!), Tragus, Conch

Tumblr

I find placing a small quantity of frozen peas wrapped in plastic and then a tissue offers some relief as well as helping reduce swelling. I wear glasses too and when my rook was pierced the ear swelled like yours and ached. It was better after a week. My conch is a week old and again i had similar swelling. Glad its getting better.
    Jo

Will the day be bright or cloudy?
    Sweetly has its dawn begun
    But the heaven may shake with thunder
    Ere the setting of the sun
    Emily Bronte 1836

I have: First lobes, single Right nostril, left tragus, naval, left Conch and new Right 14 gauge conch
    Retired 2nd lobes, daith, rook and helix8

Same thing happened to mine, it was a nightmare! It swelled up so much the balls got swallowed and it was that painful that I was taking painkillers every four hours on the dot. I tried chamomile soaks and everything, in the end the only thing that fixed it was going to the piercers and they had to fit it with a ptfe bar, and it healed pretty swift after that. Rooks are notoriously a pain in the backside but stick with it cos it'll be worth it, and if it gets really swollen go to the piercers ASAP and get ptfe, don't wait till the balls are practically swallowed like I did! All the best