Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Industrial Bar Pains (pics)

Default Industrial Bar Pains (pics)

Hey y'all! This piercings makes number 13 (14 if you count the retired one) and I really like it, however I've been getting some pain and swelling over the last few days. I got it a little over a week ago and I asked my friends who have them and they said discomfort isn't uncommon but at least one said they didn't swell as much as I did. So I'm asking if anyone can kinda reassure me that this is normal. It's not bleeding a lot, just when I clean it with the clear softsoap I always used for previous piercings. I did a few salt soaks for it but I know I should do them more. I always get confused on the amount of salt per cup. I just eye-ball it.

Here's some pics to show the swelling (last one compared to other ear). This is first thing in the morning. Sometimes it hurts a lot worse by the end of the day because my glasses rub against it. I also listen to music on Beats Headphones which doesn't seem to bother it unless it's already irritated. I stopped wearing beanies for the time being.

Advice would be great but reassurance that I won't lose my ear would be best.

I thought (and I may be wrong) that scaffold piercings were meant to have two separate pieces of jewellery for the initial healing period and then switched to a single bar at a later date? Could the bar be putting unusual pressure on your ear?
    Piercings
    3x Standard Lobe
    1x 4mm Lobe
    2x Helix
    1x Rook
    2x Navel

1x Nipple
    1x Faux Snug (1x Conch/1x Helix)
    1x Triangle
    1x Septum
    1x Daith

Tattoos
    Side Piece; 5.5 hours

Other
    1x Magnetic Implant

They can be healed with one bar.

What's the bar made from?
    Are you sleeping on it?

Stop using any kind of soap on it. Rinse it in the shower. If you really want to do SSS it's 1/4tsp into a mug of water (250ml), make sure to rinse off with plain water after.

To help swelling make sure you don't sleep on it as much as possible, change pillowcases often, be careful not to touch it, play with it, snag it on anything. Take ibuprofen if you can and use an extra pillow at night to elevate your head.

You can also use cold compresses to see if that eases the swelling. If it's made from steel you may be having a reaction to the bar and as such need to visit an excellent piercer and get the bar changed out for titanium or PTFE/Bioflex.

Can you get a closer full on photo of it so someone may see if it's a placement issue?
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 95 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Quote Originally Posted by Hazel View Post
    They can be healed with one bar.

What's the bar made from?
    Are you sleeping on it?

Stop using any kind of soap on it. Rinse it in the shower. If you really want to do SSS it's 1/4tsp into a mug of water (250ml), make sure to rinse off with plain water after.

To help swelling make sure you don't sleep on it as much as possible, change pillowcases often, be careful not to touch it, play with it, snag it on anything. Take ibuprofen if you can and use an extra pillow at night to elevate your head.

You can also use cold compresses to see if that eases the swelling. If it's made from steel you may be having a reaction to the bar and as such need to visit an excellent piercer and get the bar changed out for titanium or PTFE/Bioflex.

Can you get a closer full on photo of it so someone may see if it's a placement issue?
    It's just your standard barbell, same junk as all the others. My piercers are really good and knowledgeable, they've done many for me before and my tattoos. The soap I've been using for almost a year (on nipples, navel, eyebrow, septum, and helix) and it has been great for me. You sure I should stop? Folks have always told me it's ok to use as long as it's the kind I have. I just did a soak for my ear and I'm going to go rinse it off. I only soap at the end of the day.

I don't sleep on it, but if I do roll on that side I have a side hugging pillow... I don't know what you'd call it. It has an ear hole in it so I don't actually put pressure on the piercing. I've been taking ibuprofen as needed and a big ass Vitamin C pill daily.

I'll try to get a closer pic in a bit but I don't think it's placement. It was doing really well until a few days ago. A friend of mine accidentally hit it pretty good last Saturday but it didn't really start hurting until yesterday. I think the main issue is my glasses rubbing against the back of it. I need to get contacts.

Nickel allergies are common and can develop at any point and be localised to any area of the body. This is why in the EU there's a regulation that states piercers can't even use steel as initial jewellery due to the problem it can cause with healing.

Most soap with the exception of specific anti-microbial stuff (not anti-bacterial) is usually too harsh and drying for a piercing, most even state not to use on open wounds, also many can wipe out the good bacteria needed to heal the piercing effectively.

Trauma can take a while to flare up so it's likely that Saturdays incident has caused some swelling, then if that's irritated by the glasses then that could be exacerbating the situation and you should see it settle down.

Expect flare-ups for a long time to come though, they're often very long and slow healers.

But it depends on who you want to listen to, if you're adamant it's not the jewellery and the soap is fine then keep using it.

Hope it settles soon!
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Thanks so much for the advice. Every time I get a new piercing I'm worried something is going wrong. I just wanted to know that this could be considered normal.

Here are some closer shots. I'm straight out of the shower so they're still damp and you can see some gunk coming out. I wasn't aware just how swollen that back was til these shots :(

I suppose I can try SSS alone for awhile. Twice a day you said? I'm pretty good about keeping my shampoo off of it but I know how sensitive these things are. I'm going to hunt down my contacts and stop it with the glass for a bit. Even though I hate contacts lol.

EDIT: I'll probably go see my piercer next Monday. I'm getting my friend his second piercing for his birthday. He wants a industrial too or a rook. While there though I'll ask him what he thinks. I trust their judgement but I'm open to anything people can tell me. With the experience you have I definitely value your advice
    Last edited by kraftykrow; 02-26-2014 at 05:34 PM.

Yeah I'd deffo get it looked at, doesn't seem at all happy! :(

Is it weeping white/clear/pale yellow (think straw colour) or is it a more dark yellow/green/brown and does it smell?

Is it hot to touch and very painful and/or throbbing?

Are you generally feeling well? (No cold or flu like symptoms)?

I generally feel fine. I'm in a stressful situation of moving right now so I'm kinda run down and tired but nothing flu like. It is warm to the touch and yesterday it was throbbing. Pus color is whiteish yellow, sometimes a little brown but mostly white. It doesn't smell that I can smell. Right now it hurts but it's not really throbbing. Apparently I already packed up my contacts and can't find them. :( So I'm out of luck for now there. It's just unfortunate I won't be able to have it checked until Monday :(

Your ear looks very much like mine did when my rook became infected. Unfortunately I left it for a few days until it was at the point where the pain was unbearable and I had a Mr potato head ear. A course of antibiotics soon cleared it up, but I really would see a doctor about it if you can.
    Stabbings I still have
    Right ear
    : 2 x helix, conch & rook
    Left ear: helix, conch & tragus
    Tongue web, nostril, septum
    Triangle, VCH & 2 x outers

Quote Originally Posted by polythene_girl View Post
    Your ear looks very much like mine did when my rook became infected. Unfortunately I left it for a few days until it was at the point where the pain was unbearable and I had a Mr potato head ear. A course of antibiotics soon cleared it up, but I really would see a doctor about it if you can.
    I'm going to agree with this, whilst infections in piercings are rare you do have a few of the signs of a one and that redness/swelling, brown pus, heat and throbbing on/off is a worry.

See a doctor asap or get yourself to a walk in centre to get some ABs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast