Thread: Is it time to retire my triple helix?

Default Is it time to retire my triple helix?

Hi, all!

First thread post here, but I`ve been lurking around for a while- nice to meet you all!

Let`s get to it. I`ve searched and searched, but since everyone`s case is different, I figured I`d be best off to post my own story.
    I got my triple helix pierced in May 2013- so it`s about 7 months old. They were pierced in a shop and fitted with labrets. I have a usual dreaded bump story, but mine is more stubborn than any I`ve ever heard of.

I have done SSS, tea tree oil, cleaning with just bactine-like cleaner, neosporin, LITHA and any combination you can think of. Most recently I was depending on LITHA, doing on some warm rinses in the shower and some gentle rubs to get the crap off and that`s it. The pictures I`m going to share are pretty gross and I`m just a little embarrassed to even post them, but it is afternoon and I shower in the evening, so they are a bit grimy.

*I have shied away from chamomile, as I have a severe rag weed allergy and have read that chamomile could be horrible. Not positive if it`s true- but better safe than sorry!

For a short while, tea tree oil was helping and my bumps were almost gone, and one day I woke up to find them back in full force. I am getting incredibly frustrated, they are sore and ugly and an all around pain. It`s uncomfortable to wear hats and headbands- which is a shame because there are currently sub-zero temps here in Ohio and of course, I can`t sleep on it.

The pain isn`t as big a concern as I know sometimes it will be a while before that calms down, but I don`t want to suffer and still have it look icky! I want to show it off and be proud and as it is, I don`t want people to see it!

I am still wearing the posts they put in when it was pierced because my ear is so swollen from the bumps (front and back) that any shorter labrets will not fit. I changed the top one once because it was doing okay- no crust or bump, I was so proud! The labret had room to move, so it was not too tight, but just a few hours later a bigger bump had developed and was squishing the jewelry, so I changed it back into the longer one.

Is there anything else I can do to get the bumps down? They are very dry, despite me having been leaving them alone- but so is the rest of my skin thanks to the weather. Should I use some neosporin to hydrate a bit or will that bother it? Is it time to retire? I know that`s entirely up to me, but it seems that my body just may not like piercings and I might continue to have these problems. (I have my nostril pierced and had a VERY stubborn bump on that as well. It only went away after my stud fell out one night shortly after it was done and I had it repierced. I guess it "deflated" the bump or something??) Should I decide to retire, how do I do it? Is there a method or should I just take the jewelry out and give a last good cleaning? If I do this, will the bumps heal with my ear, or will it heal and the bumps remain?

If I missed anything, feel free to add any input that may be important!

Pictuuuures:
    December 20 - AKA the day I changed the top to a shorter bar
    [x] [x]

December 31 - Have been LITHA, getting some icky little scabs on the back occasionally.
    [x] [x] [x]

January 7 - Just took these a little while ago, still LITHA with warm shower rinses to get the crap off. No improvement, obviously. These are pretty nasty and please don`t judge me
    [x] [x] [x] [x] [x] [x]
    You never realize how much your ear looks like a naked mole rat until you take macro pictures of it. Gross!

Thanks in advance for any and all advice!

Go to a good piercer and get them to fit you with high quality titanium bars. Rinse only in the shower, no rubbing, wiping or poking.

You can can use a natural oil like jojoba or emu oil to help with the dryness.

It it looks to me that you may have cheap steel/acrylic jewellery in which could be causing your problems.

this and lots of patience and possibly massage once they're not angry anymore could see the bumps go.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 95 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Okay, thank you! Will look into titanium first thing tomorrow and will update in a few weeks!
    Why is it titanium is better than surgical steel and why don`t piercers use that initially?
    Current:
    right nostril
    triple helix
    left wrist tattoo (where the wild things are)

Lower (if any) nickel content so it's less likely to cause a reaction. Hence why it is used for hip and knee replacements.
    "Fortuna Favet Fortibus"
    Grace
    L: Conch|Rook|Lobes x2|Helix Orbital|Helix

​R: Industrial|Lobes x2|Tragus|Conch Orbital

Central Labret​|Right Nipple|HCH x2

2 tattoos & 1 subdermal implant.

Next: 3rd HCH.

Huh! I never knew! Thanks (:
    Current:
    right nostril
    triple helix
    left wrist tattoo (where the wild things are)

Quote Originally Posted by __xcecilia View Post
    Okay, thank you! Will look into titanium first thing tomorrow and will update in a few weeks!
    Why is it titanium is better than surgical steel and why don`t piercers use that initially?
    Titanium is implant grade and biocompatible, as above, it's used internally by medical practitioners.

In the EU there's a requirement for piercers to use only biocompatible material for initial piercing, it doesn't apply to the US sadly.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 95 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Titanium is biocompatible but steel is cheaper.

Always insist on titanium for initial jewellery (or PTFE, bioplast or glass if appropriate). If the piercer refuses, walk away.
    Saying that, depending on what you want done, they might not have a suitable Ti piece in stock so you should contact them in advance. It's always worth contacting a piercer in advance anyway so you can quiz them especially if it's one you've not been to before.
    what's a few seconds of pain for a lifetime of shiny?

Both lobes 1/2", 5mm, 1.6mm
    Left rook & 5mm helix punch
    Right helix x2 & forward helix
    VCH, 5mm tongue