Thread: my nose piercing doesnt seem to be healing...

Default my nose piercing doesnt seem to be healing...

I got my nose pierced about 7 months ago and a red bump keeps popping up on the hole of the piercing. I put antiseptic cream on it and it usually goes away within a couple of days.

Today i noticed my nose was sore again, but only this time around the hole, its a purple-red colour and the bump is coming back.

I really dont know what it is can someone help?

Creams shouldn't be used on piercings because they prevent the piercing from "breathing" the way it should. I can't really offer you much help other than stop using the cream and do compresses. Best of luck!
    Your body is a temple,
    But how long can you live in the same house before you redecorate?
    -Unknown
    Hi, I'm Courtney.

Current: Both Lobes, Helix, Swallow Tattoo
    Want: Daith, Tongue, Triple Conch, Dream Catcher Tattoo
    Retired: Navel(x2)

My nose piercing was so crap to heal. It grew a bump, which got bigger and angrier until it was a big, bloody purple blob. I salt soaked it every day and every time I showered I'd lightly go round it once with a clean cotton bud, I was so obsessive with doing everything right! Nothing was working and I was getting so pissed off cause it looked so bad. I could see that it was just pus inside so I used hot flannels to hold over the piercing to try and get some of the nastiness out...one day it looked so full to burst that I touched it and it popped everywhere, as in really everywhere haha. I cleaned it, salt soaked it and then used a very tiny amount of a strong antibacterial and antiseptic cream around it with a cotton bud, but made sure it didn't go in the piercing. I know you're not supposed to, cause as ThatFreakChick said, it means that the skin can't 'breathe' properly. But for me it was a last resort, it worked and the bump got smaller until now it's completely gone. It was a long process though so keep going with the hot salt soaks and see what happens, noses seem particularly angsty piercings!

Read through the bump thread at the top of this section of the forum.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x6, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 91 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

I had my nostril pierced 6 months ago. A couple of accidents meant my piercing was irritated a few times the past few months. But nothing that couldn't be solved with daily SSS. The problem I noticed is that my piercing flares up again within a week if I stopped SSSing. The inside of my nostril, where the piercing is, would develop a white bump, and on the outside of my nostril, a pink radius would develop around my piercing. If I leave it alone, it gets worse and start to hurt and I would feel poorly. Chills, etc.

But if I SSS it, the white bump inside would emit a pale yellowish discharge (sometimes it is light green tinged) and the piercing feels and looks better. If I continue to SSS daily, the bump inside and the pink area outside around the piercing will disappear within 2 days and look and feel completely fine, and all the poorly signs will disappear too.

I am not sure if this is a sign of an underlying infection or if it's normal. I would love to be rid of the need to SSS daily but te way things go, it seems that daily SSS is the only way to keep my piercing healthy looking. Or is this a sign that my body may be rejecting the piercing?

I am more worried about the fact that it is rejection or an underlying infection that won't go away, as that can't be healthy for me in the long term. Am not sure if I should just retire the piercing, but am willing to consider it now for the sake of health.

P.S. Sorry to hijack the thread but I really didn't know where to post it, since I have not posted 5 messages on the forum yet so am barred from starting a new thread..
    Last edited by rachvant; 12-06-2013 at 12:56 PM.

What jewellery do you have in there?

Now
    : 11mm lobes. 6mm septum.
    helix. tongue. rook. 5mm conch punches L & R.
    central labret. industrial. double nostrils.
    philtrum. tattoos.

Retired: snakebites. nostril x 2. 2nd & 3rd lobes.
    helix. outer conch. nipple.

Next: tattoos.

Tumblr. Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by SleeeepyHollow View Post
    What jewellery do you have in there?
    Titanium nose screw. I had my nose pierced in a pretty reputable piercing shop in Camden, London with a needle. I just live too far away now to go back there and have it looked at, but... it looks fine now. It always looks fine if I keep SSSing it daily. Which I am not sure if is normal thing to do six months after piercing... when do people stop SSSing? If I try leaving it alone, it always becomes and looks infected or iirritated.
    Last edited by rachvant; 12-07-2013 at 11:33 AM.