Thread: Changing helix from labret to ring

Question Changing helix from labret to ring

My helix piercing is 6 months old now. It was healing very well with a labret in it. I changed it to a BCR and it became inflamed, red and puffy almost instantly. It seems to be calming down now. But I was wondering if this is normal. Does anyone have a similar experience with going from straight to curved jewelry and vice versa in a cartilage piercing? And is dermal punching maybe a solution to make the piercing be surrounded by skin instead of cartilage, to make it more flexible?

What was the ring made of ? Sounds like an allergic reaction. Also keep in mind at six months it probably isn't fully healed so you may have just pissed it off by changing it. A dermal punch is not the solution..
    -X-

Andy

My sparklies: Lobies x 3 on each ear, left conch, left auricle, right helix, right tragus, navel

Both are titanium. So that can't be the issue. I also cleaned the jewelry before inserting it.

Then you just irritated it by putting the ring in, that's pretty normal when it won't be fully healed.
    -X-

Andy

My sparklies: Lobies x 3 on each ear, left conch, left auricle, right helix, right tragus, navel

Cartilage piercing's are very fickle and at 6 months old, it probably wasn't anywhere near healed. It sounds to me like changing the jewelry irritated it. It could've been the change itself, the cleaner you used, or, depending on the quality of the titanium, the jewelry. Sea salt soaks should help. You also might want to try chamomile soaks or compresses. The last thing you want to do is get a dermal punch, though. I'd imagine that would only make things worse since it's already irritated.

^ agreed, 6 months is still very young, just cos its stopped hurting, it doesn't mean it has healed. Changing to a ring will upset the piercing because it was pierced with a straight labret that won't have fully settled after 6 months, so the curved ring will have aggravated the wound. If it continues put the labret back in and leave it alone.
    "Fortuna Favet Fortibus"
    Grace
    L: Conch|Rook|Lobes x2|Helix Orbital|Helix

​R: Industrial|Lobes x2|Tragus|Conch Orbital

Central Labret​|Right Nipple|HCH x2

2 tattoos & 1 subdermal implant.

Next: 3rd HCH.

Ok, thanks everyone