Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rook bar too long?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Rook bar too long?

Hi everyone, I'm brand new to the forum. I've loved body mods for a long time and have been lurking here for a while haha. So today I just had my left rook pierced and I must say I'm in love. It's a gorgeous piercing and worth the pain completely. To be fair my cartilage is quite thick and although it did hurt like mad when it got pierced it was really only for a second. Plus I have a decent pain tolerance. Anyway, I'm pretty OCD about my piercings. I like them to be as close to perfect as I can get them. Now I know there needs to be extra space for a new piercing (mine is pierced with a curved barbell). My problem is the bar is way too long IMO and its kinda bothering me to be honest lol. I know I can change it eventually but I really don't want to bother this piercing specifically for a long time and I just know its gonna drive me nuts. so I'm kind of at a loss of what to do. Should I just leave it be and be patient? Is it really for the best to have it long? Or do you think I should maybe go back to the piercer? Also, how long do you think is safe till I can change it if I do decide to just leave it alone? For reference, I pierced my own helix a year ago (I know, stupid idea) and it actually healed perfectly and quickly. I'd say within 5 weeks it was perfectly comfortable and although I know it wasn't 100% healed I was able to change it without issue. So I guess my cartilage heals quite fast. But I do want to be safe with this piercing. So if anyone has any input on the bar or advice on the piercing itself please help out, thanks!

Pic?
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x6, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 91 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Rooks can swell and be a general pain in the bum for quite a while (bumps can happen too), so you will probably need at least some of the length. If not, even better, but better to be safe than to get swelling and the jewelry getting embedded in the cartilage!

I don't think the long jewelry will be a problem since it's so tucked away and protected, other than the aesthetic, so my advice is to just let it be at least past the initial healing stage, letting it calm down for a few months and all.

Post a pic still

26mm both lobes, 6mm second lobes, 6mm left inner conch, 8mm septum, 2.4mm inner labia, 1.6mm nipples, 1.2mm nostril
    18x18cm mandala scarification on thigh

tumblr

here's a picture guys:

I was also able to lay on it without any discomfort, but I still didn't just to be on the safe side, but yeah doesn't the bar seem so long? Does anyone maybe have an idea of how many mm it is?
    Sarah
    Left ear: 2x Lobe, Rook
    Right ear: 2x Lobe
    Other: Left Nose
    Future: Double Helix (RE), 0g Lobes, Monroe
    Retired: Left Helix

That seems way too long to me.

My piercer always recommends downsizing after a month. So while it does seem too long. Give it a month, let the swelling go down and the initial irritation subside and then downsize. I'm not an expert, but that's my advice. Take it for what it is.

I'd get it changed out now, that's insanely long.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x6, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

thought so :/ I think I'm just going to wait till the irritation is gone then change it out. Mainly for 2 reasons, one, I know it'll hurt like a bitch if I go to get it changed now as it's sore to the touch, and two, I'm not sure how much they'd charge me to have it changed out and I'm broke for the moment. I'm just gonna order some 6mm curved barbells from BJS and after a month I'll change it out. Do you think 6mm is an okay bar length? Or should I go for 8?

Also, I'm gonna start looking for a better piercer :/ I really like the one I go to now but I don't think he's very professional and this could've been avoided altogether. Thanks for the help guys
    Sarah

Okay so I just ordered a 6mm Surgical Steel Curved Barbell, an 8mm Bioflex Curved Barbell, along with the same thing in 6mm so I can see what fits best, and with some push-fit diamond balls for the ends, (and even got a BCR for my nose, all for 18 bucks! Gotta love BJS!). So would you advise I wait a month then change to the bioflex? Or maybe take it to my piercer and have them do it? Since it's push-fit and not threaded I wouldn't be irritating my rook too much so I think I may be able to do it myself but I really want to be safe and have this piercing stay as healthy as possible. What do you think?
    Sarah

I would definitely go to your piercer to get it changed, I recently changed my rook bar (from a retainer back to the original bar) and it took me about an hour of fiddling and pissing off my piercing before I got it in. Thankfully I've had no problems with mine since (its actually been behaving better, but that's probably because I had a crappy acrylic retainer in it from about 3months old cause I had to hide it for work) but definitely go to your piercer, they know what they are doing and can change it over with minimal irritation to the piercing.

Quote Originally Posted by 5oph1e View Post
    I would definitely go to your piercer to get it changed, I recently changed my rook bar (from a retainer back to the original bar) and it took me about an hour of fiddling and pissing off my piercing before I got it in. Thankfully I've had no problems with mine since (its actually been behaving better, but that's probably because I had a crappy acrylic retainer in it from about 3months old cause I had to hide it for work) but definitely go to your piercer, they know what they are doing and can change it over with minimal irritation to the piercing.
    This. A piercer can do it in seconds you could be faffing with it for ages and really upset it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast