Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Helix trouble

Question Helix trouble

I had my helix pierced about 9 months ago and it's still sore if I knock it or sleep on it. It still leaks fluid which crusts around the piercing and I don't know if it should be doing this at 9 months old?! I also have a bump on the back of it that wont go away which makes my ear quite thick and I struggle to get jewellery to fit... Is it normal to still be hurting? And do you think I should change the jewellery material (I have surgical steel in at the moment). All help is appreciated!

I've had this problem but mine is only 4 months old, what type of jewelry do you have? I'm changing mine to a PTFE barbell so it can heal better.
    Piercings: Left ear: Lobes x2, Helix x1 (healing) Right ear: Lobes x2

Also tattoos on both shoulders and my right ankle.

Change your jewellery to a titanium or bioplast labret/barbell, it could be the nickel in the steel that's irritating your skin. It's normal for cartilage piercings to take over a year to heal, try not to play with it or sleep on it. Crusting is normal, if it crusts quite a lot you could SSS once a day to soften/remove the lymph. Make sure the bar isn't too tight on your skin. Once the piercing is healed and no longer sore/crusting, you can try oil massages to get rid of the bump: that is, if it hasn't gone already because of the jewellery change. Good luck!
    Hi, I'm Mj

Current piercings: 1st lobes (4mm), 2nd+3rd (1mm), helix x 2 (1.2mm), daith (1.2mm), septum (3mm), nostril (1mm)

Retired: 4th lobe piercings, helix, one horizontal nipple, navel.

Want: horizontal nipples, conch, triple upper navel project.

One of my helix piercings is exactly like that with the pain/crust and it's over a year old.. It's getting better slowly, so yes your ear is totally normal. Persistence is key !!
    -x-x-

Stacey ^^

"Creativity is the common culture of being a human being" - If a dog gets depressed, it won't drink whiskey or listen to Radiohead.

I have: Lobes x 3, Conch, tragus, daith, double forward helix, navel, VCH + 1 Tattoo

Retired: Helix (twice) :'(

Quote Originally Posted by melissasattack View Post
    Change your jewellery to a titanium or bioplast labret/barbell, it could be the nickel in the steel that's irritating your skin. It's normal for cartilage piercings to take over a year to heal, try not to play with it or sleep on it. Crusting is normal, if it crusts quite a lot you could SSS once a day to soften/remove the lymph. Make sure the bar isn't too tight on your skin. Once the piercing is healed and no longer sore/crusting, you can try oil massages to get rid of the bump: that is, if it hasn't gone already because of the jewellery change. Good luck!
    I'll try changing the jewellery then, hopefully that will sort it out. Thank you!

Ahh good, 2 of my friends have the same thing done and there's are totally normal so I wondered whether there something wrong with mine so thank you!

I'm scared its healed wrong to be honest, cause where the piercing is, the hole (when felt from both side) is quite thick and hard. Has more cartilage healed outside?

I think thats probably just the fistula (hole) forming scar tissue as it heals. How was it pierced? If done with a gun, the scar tissue will be worse.

No it wasn't pierced with a gun, I just think my body can't cope haha

If you find your body is a bit slow on the healing side, you could try taking a multivitamin or zinc supplement to boost your immune system
    Hi, I'm Mj

Current piercings: 1st lobes (4mm), 2nd+3rd (1mm), helix x 2 (1.2mm), daith (1.2mm), septum (3mm), nostril (1mm)

Retired: 4th lobe piercings, helix, one horizontal nipple, navel.

Want: horizontal nipples, conch, triple upper navel project.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast