Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Helix trouble

Quote Originally Posted by Soph_el View Post
    No it wasn't pierced with a gun, I just think my body can't cope haha
    It's very likely the steel and if it was a ring it would have been delaying healing. Add into that they can take 18 months to heal fully and can be temperamental after that a lot of what you are experiencing is pretty normal.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 95 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Mines 4 months old, I just changed the steel jewellery stud with a butterfly back to a bioflex barbell and it feels so much better! I woke up lying on that side this morning and it wasn't anywhere near as painful. I got a 10mm barbell and it isn't as snug so I can clean the lymph off a bit easier after SS, rather than it feeling tight due to the buildup.

And it looks nicer too I ordered mine from this site, fast delivery no problems.
    Piercings: Left ear: Lobes x2, Helix x1 (healing) Right ear: Lobes x2

Also tattoos on both shoulders and my right ankle.

I've bought a bioflex labret on recommendation and it feels so much better already! It doesn't hurt to sleep on and doesn't flare up when I take it out to clean so I think its finally sorted. I think I must be allergic to nickel as though it hasn't bothered me enough to notice it before, sometimes my lobes become itchy and hurt if I wear certain kinds of jewellery but it wasn't enough to make me think anything was wrong.. So thank you for all your help! Won't be getting anything done with steel again

I've bought a bioflex labret on recommendation and it feels so much better already! It doesn't hurt to sleep on and doesn't flare up when I take it out to clean so I think its finally sorted. I think I must be allergic to nickel as though it hasn't bothered me enough to notice it before, sometimes my lobes become itchy and hurt if I wear certain kinds of jewellery but it wasn't enough to make me think anything was wrong.. So thank you for all your help! Won't be getting anything done with steel again
    Nooo! Don't take it out to clean. Leave it in until its healed, at least another couple of months. Just SS or clean around it lightly with a cotton bud. How can the piercing heal if its constantly being ripped open again by removing the laberet?
    Piercings: Left ear: Lobes x2, Helix x1 (healing) Right ear: Lobes x2

Also tattoos on both shoulders and my right ankle.

Quote Originally Posted by Youkalaylee View Post
    Nooo! Don't take it out to clean. Leave it in until its healed, at least another couple of months. Just SS or clean around it lightly with a cotton bud. How can the piercing heal if its constantly being ripped open again by removing the laberet?
    I don't all the time, and its 9 months old, it feels like its healed, it was just irritated by the nickel, all is well with the new labret haha

I'm so glad it's settled down and you're welcome, just happy for your piercing! ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by Youkalaylee View Post
    Agree with this to an extent, there's no real need to remove jewellery to clean it, just rinse it in the shower, but there's no need for SSS or poking it with cotton buds.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

I'm posting on here cos I've had a very similar problem with my helix piercing (needle, sterile, titanium BCR) but I'm not able to create my own thread as I haven't posted enough on here (because I didn't have anything helpful to say!)

My helix piercing is just over 6 months old, and I'm well aware that it can take a year or more to heal. The problem I'm having though is that I can be as careful as possible myself, but it seems that my lifestyle isn't conducive to a helix piercing

Over these past six months, it'll be generally fine for a couple of weeks but then get knocked by a comb (hairdresser wasn't careful enough despite me mentioning it several times) or I'll accidentally turn over in my sleep (despite using pillows/hair clips/other methods to ensure I stay on one side), or one of my children will suddenly hug me and brush my ear slightly. Anyway, basically I'm now not sure my life's suitably free from inconvenient accidental knocking etc to be able to have a helix piercing. My nose piercing is absolutely fine and I'm very pleased with it, and I have three lobe piercings in each ear too that I've never had trouble with, but the helix and me just don't seem to be getting along (which is a great shame cos I love the look of it).

I generally leave it alone and just wash in the shower, and I do proper SSS only when needed (for crusties etc) but it just doesn't seem to be getting any closer to healing. It'll start to settle down, but then something beyond my control will happen (hairdresser, kids, etc) and it'll get sore again - redness, heat, a bump around the hole on the inner part of my ear (that goes down by itself when it settles again), and some opaque creamy coloured pus coming out of it when it's playing up.

I have been in touch with the piercer every time I've had problems with it, but tbh they've not been very helpful. I just get told to leave it alone (which I have been doing), or they tried telling me to use peroxide on it (which I've read can just make it dry out and doesn't help healing) or they've simply said "it's normal so wait longer".

So now I've reached the point that I think it's not likely to heal as there are things affecting it that are out of my control (see above) and I'm thinking I'm going to have to remove it and put it down to just "one of those things" that just isn't right for me. I still have the original piercing BCR in (titanium) and haven't ever tried to change it or mess with it, but I've read that you shouldn't just take the piercing out because it can trap an infection inside.

So I want to know whether I should go to a doctor to have the piercing removed, or remove it myself but use SSS to keep it as clean as possible, or whether I should attempt to change jewellery to another type that's less likely to get knocked before I take the final step to retire the piercing... (and if so, should I try this myself???) Last time it started playing up I tried to look into whether changing to a different jewellery type would help with healing if it was less likely to get knocked/caught on something (because it mainly gets knocked from the side of the ear where the BCR hangs, not the front or back where a labret/barbell would sit) but most things I read said BCRs were actually best, and my piercing studio weren't very helpful again when I asked their advice!

So I'm really hoping one of you can provide some advice on the most sensible thing to do in this situation please!!!

Thanks

~ Lebatsirk

Rings in high traffic areas are a nightmare! Get your piercer to switch it out for a titanium barbell or labret, it might be difficult to get the BCR out yourself (it's a fine art I hear!) or if you're feeling confident, you can order yourself one and fit it yourself (just make sure it's long enough to deal with the swelling from your irritation)

I had dramatic results when I switched my ring to a barbell. Within days a piercing that had been grumpy for months was suddenly free from swelling and pain. Don't give up on your piercing yet, the relief from a straight post will be immediate and it will be so much less likely to get knocked or pulled on.

Good luck!
    Hi, I'm Mj

Current piercings: 1st lobes (4mm), 2nd+3rd (1mm), helix x 2 (1.2mm), daith (1.2mm), septum (3mm), nostril (1mm)

Retired: 4th lobe piercings, helix, one horizontal nipple, navel.

Want: horizontal nipples, conch, triple upper navel project.

Quote Originally Posted by Lebatsirk View Post
    I still have the original piercing BCR in (titanium) and haven't ever tried to change it or mess with it, but I've read that you shouldn't just take the piercing out because it can trap an infection inside.

Most things I read said BCRs were actually best, and my piercing studio weren't very helpful again when I asked their advice!
    Both totally untrue, as above get a bar in there and find a better piercer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12