Page 30 of 32 FirstFirst ... 20212223242526272829303132 LastLast

Thread: Unpopular Opinions and Tastes

Senior Member quotidianaubergine's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MÁrdok View Post
    It's not so much that I'm sensitive to others views on my name as much as it personally offends my sense of self.
    Do you mind if I ask what your name is? If you haven't already mentioned it somewhere...
    currently: 1st lobes, 2nd lobes, nostril

retired: 1.6mm lobes, 6mm lobes, snug, 2 x helix, septum, 2 x nostril, 5mm lobes, labret, 8mm lobes, left tragus, right conch, right double forward helix

I have.

It's Christian.
    18mm Lobes
    Bridge
    Double lip

I have.

It's Christian.
    Ah right yeah, sorry. Yeah I can see why you wouldn't be thrilled about having that name if you're an atheist or a follower of a religion other than Christianity.

I personally don't like my own name (which is Louise) because I really dislike the way it sounds in my accent! That may sound convoluted but what it is important or not to other people is slightly different. I think the only reason I wouldn't seriously consider changing it, is because my mum and dad who chose it for me love it, and they picked it specifically because it was an uncommon name at the time. I think it would hurt their feelings if I changed it.

retired: 1.6mm lobes, 6mm lobes, snug, 2 x helix, septum, 2 x nostril, 5mm lobes, labret, 8mm lobes, left tragus, right conch, right double forward helix

Quote Originally Posted by quotidianaubergine View Post
    Ah right yeah, sorry. Yeah I can see why you wouldn't be thrilled about having that name if you're an atheist or a follower of a religion other than Christianity.

I personally don't like my own name (which is Louise) because I really dislike the way it sounds in my accent! That may sound convoluted but what it is important or not to other people is slightly different. I think the only reason I wouldn't seriously consider changing it, is because my mum and dad who chose it for me love it, and they picked it specifically because it was an uncommon name at the time. I think it would hurt their feelings if I changed it.

Well, aside from the legal nightmare that would result in my attempting to do so, I haven't changed mine to honor my fathers lost friend.
    Who was also named Christian, respectively.
    18mm Lobes
    Bridge
    Double lip

Well, aside from the legal nightmare that would result in my attempting to do so, I haven't changed mine to honor my fathers lost friend.
    Who was also named Christian, respectively.
    It's probably one of those things in life that you will end up making peace with. If the negative feelings continue you could always encourage those around you to refer to you by a different name that you have chosen, whilst still keeping your legal documents as Christian. Lots of people go by different names. I actually go by Lou in pretty much every aspect of my life now. It took a while for my existing friends and family to get used to it, but it seems to have worked! It comes on all my mail, I introduce myself as Lou, and it makes me feel better about my name, even though it is such a small change.

If you don't intend on changing it then maybe you should just get over it?
    Sarah

"Do not go gentle into the good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

Quote Originally Posted by catface View Post
    If you don't intend on changing it then maybe you should just get over it?
    Exactly. Either you hate it enough to change it (regardless of difficulty, which, if you could, explain how much harder it is in the US?), or suck it up and make your peace. In other words, sh*t or get off the pot.
    Last edited by soph_17; 07-22-2013 at 04:07 PM.
    Current: Double nostrils, philtrum, nipple. Various cartilage, 9/16'' lobes.
    Retired: Nipple, navel x4, wrist, nape, MD, tongue web x2, lower lip piercings x4, nostril, helix, lobe piercings, septum, cheek piercings.
    4 tattoos.

What is my life for and what am I going to do with it? I don't know and I'm afraid. I can never read all the books I want; I can never be all the people I want and live all the lives I want.
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by quotidianaubergine View Post
    It's probably one of those things in life that you will end up making peace with. If the negative feelings continue you could always encourage those around you to refer to you by a different name that you have chosen, whilst still keeping your legal documents as Christian. Lots of people go by different names. I actually go by Lou in pretty much every aspect of my life now. It took a while for my existing friends and family to get used to it, but it seems to have worked! It comes on all my mail, I introduce myself as Lou, and it makes me feel better about my name, even though it is such a small change.
    That seems to be the most difficult part of the whole matter.

I haven't a clue as to what I would want to be referred to as otherwise while at the same time I dislike my actual name.
    It's been a conundrum for me for a while now.
    18mm Lobes
    Bridge
    Double lip

It's only been within the past 1.5 - 2 years that I've made peace with my own name so I get where you're coming from. But I found a name I was comfortable with and I went with that for years; I didn't change it legally for the same reasons as Lou. My mum picked this name for me, she loves it and it has ties to my dead brother. So I went by something else for a really long time until, eventually, I'd made peace with my own. I still don't particularly like it but it's mine.
    32mm lobe (down from 50mm) : 10mm lobe : 8mm conch punch : 1.2mm Philtrum (down from 2mm) : 12mm oval labret (down from 18mm) : tongue split : scarification x2 : lots of ink :

I don't like salad with dressings on. I'd rather have it naked.
    what's a few seconds of pain for a lifetime of shiny?

Both lobes 1/2", 5mm, 1.6mm
    Left rook & 5mm helix punch
    Right helix x2 & forward helix
    VCH, 5mm tongue