Page 29 of 32 FirstFirst ... 1920212223242526272829303132 LastLast
Results 281 to 290 of 320

Thread: Unpopular Opinions and Tastes

  1. #281
    Member MÁrdok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul-2013
    Location
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    Posts
    41

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kitebunny View Post
    ^ people can change their name by deed poll if they wish.
    I live in America where getting your name changed can be a legal nightmare.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaitey (: View Post
    That makes no sense whatsoever. My boyfriend is called "Nick" but he's never stolen anything, guess he better get changing his name! And last time I checked I wasn't a circular firework.. and H wasn't a tree...
    Most people don't even understand the literal meanings of names. Mine is quiet obvious. I don't see how that doesn't make any sense to you.

    Quote Originally Posted by wallflower View Post
    My name's Toni but I'm not a toe nor a knee.

    What do we call babies till they're 18 then? #77466475?
    I think there have been a couple of cultures that address this; You give the child the name of a noun. Like sky or bird or cat or what have you. When the time comes they adopt their own names.
    18mm Lobes
    Bridge
    Double lip

  2. #282
    Magnificent Moderator Kaitey (:'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb-2009
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    10,675

    Default

    Because "Christian" as a name is not the same as the religion. Or does that not make any sense to you?
    I'm Katie, one of the mods on here.
    Please read the forum rules!

  3. #283
    Member MÁrdok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul-2013
    Location
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    Posts
    41

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaitey (: View Post
    Because "Christian" as a name is not the same as the religion. Or does that not make any sense to you?
    No, because I don't have to follow your subjective opinion on what is or what is not a name.
    I personally find it offensive to my personal values and find that it sheds who I am personally in a negative light.
    Specifically because of the origin of the name.
    Last edited by MÁrdok; 07-22-2013 at 03:32 PM.
    18mm Lobes
    Bridge
    Double lip

  4. #284
    Senior Member Nomos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep-2012
    Posts
    1,509

    Default

    Murdok, why does every post you make seem like you are trying to get into arguments with everyone? I also think you are being insulting.
    Piercings (some retired) - Septum, nose, double eyebrow, left tragus, left nipple, lip, rook, left lobe and multiple cartalidge.
    - Tattoo of a fantasy style sword on my calf
    - Raven perched on pocket watch tattoo on my right arm
    - Evil skeletal jester on the other calf
    Here's to love, the sickness
    The great martyr of the soul
    Here's to life, the vice
    The great herald of misery

  5. #285
    Member MÁrdok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul-2013
    Location
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    Posts
    41

    Default

    How so?

    Also; what you might find argumentative I might find educational
    18mm Lobes
    Bridge
    Double lip

  6. #286
    Magnificent Moderator Kaitey (:'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb-2009
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    10,675

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MÁrdok View Post
    No, because I don't have to follow you're subjective opinion on what is or what is not a name.
    I personally find it offensive to my personal values and find that it sheds who I am personally in a negative light.
    Specifically because of the origin of the name.
    *your
    Might want to look into a university English course there mate.


    Nomos I completely agree.
    I'm Katie, one of the mods on here.
    Please read the forum rules!

  7. #287
    Member MÁrdok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul-2013
    Location
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    Posts
    41

    Default

    Ahahah. I haven't slept in a couple of days, forgive me.

    I'd usually flip the f**k out over something like that.
    Fixed

    I haven't tried to personally insult anyone, and am only trying to have fair discussion. Seems like everyone has avoided fair discussion and has been insulting up to this point so I really don't understand how you could be pointing a finger at me ahahaha
    Last edited by Boo; 07-22-2013 at 03:34 PM. Reason: swearing
    18mm Lobes
    Bridge
    Double lip

  8. #288
    Senior Member catface's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan-2012
    Location
    West Yorkshire
    Posts
    5,937

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaitey (: View Post
    *your
    Might want to look into a university English course there mate.


    Nomos I completely agree.
    I wish I could like posts on here!
    Sarah


    "Do not go gentle into the good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light."






  9. #289
    Senior Member quotidianaubergine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar-2006
    Location
    Bolton
    Posts
    6,219

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MÁrdok View Post
    No, because I don't have to follow you're subjective opinion on what is or what is not a name.
    I personally find it offensive to my personal values and find that it sheds who I am personally in a negative light.
    Specifically because of the origin of the name.
    How one interprets the meaning of a name (not all of them have black & white literal definitions), how they feel it represents their personality, and how they feel it connects them to a family member/a place/a memory...whatever it may be...is ALL subjective. It isn't WRONG to state an opinion. I think you're being incredibly over-sensitive to other people's views, which is probably either a reflection of your own insecurity, or a sign that you enjoy trolling.

    I enjoy being argumentative, I even enjoy playing devil's advocate from time to time, but you're going to end up rubbing people the wrong way. Being contrary just for the sake of it isn't clever. If you already know all of this, carry on!
    Last edited by quotidianaubergine; 07-22-2013 at 03:35 PM. Reason: grammar
    currently: 1st lobes, 2nd lobes, nostril

    retired: 1.6mm lobes, 6mm lobes, snug, 2 x helix, septum, 2 x nostril, 5mm lobes, labret, 8mm lobes, left tragus, right conch, right double forward helix

  10. #290
    Member MÁrdok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul-2013
    Location
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    Posts
    41

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by quotidianaubergine View Post
    How one interprets the meaning of a name (not all of them have black & white literal definitions), how they feel it represents their personality, and how they feel it connects them to a family member/a place/a memory...whatever it may be...is ALL subjective. It isn't WRONG to state an opinion. I think you're being incredibly over-sensitive to other people's views, which is probably either a reflection of your own insecurity, or a sign that you enjoy trolling.

    I enjoy being argumentative, I even enjoy playing devil's advocate from time to time, but you're going to end up rubbing people the wrong way. Being contrary just for the sake of it isn't clever. If you already know all of this, carry on!
    It's not so much that I'm sensitive to others views on my name as much as it personally offends my sense of self.
    18mm Lobes
    Bridge
    Double lip

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •