Thread: Possibly nooby questions...

Default Possibly nooby questions...

I got script on my arm from a very reputable tattoo shop, I want to get a portrait next. They have a guy who is clearly excellent a b&w portraits but I wanted colour. They said portraits look better in b&w and it is a lot harder to get a good colour one done. I don't know much about tattoos, are they spinning me one to stay with them or is there truth to what they are saying?

thank you.
    Piercings:
    L Ear: 13mm lobe, 8mm lobe, snug, industrial, daith, tragus
    R Ear: 13mm lobe, 8mm lobe, 4 x helix, rook, tragus
    Other: 6mm Tongue, Septum, bridge/erl, 2 x philtrum

Retired:
    Christina, Left eyebrow, Industrial (R Ear), 5mm lip

Tattoos:
    Star on left forearm
    'Freedom' in script on right forearm
    GITS Neck Ports
    Dragon Quest Slime on left wrist

Cosmetic tattoos:
    Eyeliner
    Eyebrows (‘retired’)

Hmm good question, I think it may be more a case of they age better in B&W my artist does portrait work and upon looking she does also seem to favour B&W and they do seem to look better. Has he ever done any in colour? Have you looked at other artists who do colour portraits for a comparison?
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 95 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

They guy who does portraits at this tattoo shop only was b&w, I don't know if that is a choice or if he isn't vey good at colour. There is a place locally that has done a couple colour portraits recently, they look pretty amazing but then I've seen real people with real tattoos from that local place and they look very amateur, so I think they are hit or miss there.
    I wanted colour because I've only ever seen the picture in colour, b&w seems to mean old in my head. Colour seems to make something seem more lifelike to me, but as I said I'm pretty much a tattoo noob!
    Piercings:

Retired:

Tattoos:
    Star on left forearm
    GITS Neck Ports

Cosmetic tattoos:
    Eyeliner
    Eyebrows (‘retired’)

In that case I think it's more to do with that he doesn't do colour and doesn't want to lose custom. Start looking for very good colour portrait artists.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Saying that I noticed I had a b&w portrait on my wall and it looks almost 3d.

ive done a wee bit of reading and the general consensus is that colour portraits blend into themselves over the years whereas black and grey doesn't. Hmm.
    Last edited by Dungeoneer; 04-21-2013 at 06:48 PM.
    Piercings:

Retired:

Tattoos:
    Star on left forearm
    GITS Neck Ports

Cosmetic tattoos:
    Eyeliner
    Eyebrows (‘retired’)

Yep they can look amazing in b&w, the ones my artist has done are brilliant imo.

Yeah I'd agree, I've seen some absolutely cracking colour portraits while browsing tattoos. I wouldn't settle for something local that's not 100% what you're after, research a sick colour artist and save up if you need to travel there!
    If I stumble across the artists again I'l drop some links here
    Hai, I'm Nox!!

Current; L&R Firsts @ 1.6mm, L&R Seconds @ 1.2mm L&R Low Auricles, R Tragus, R Nostril, L Rook
    Researching & Planning; R Daith, R Faux Rook, L Nostril, L Inner Conch,
    L Side Labret, L&R 5mm firsts
    Retired; Central Labret, 4 Standard Lobes, Naval, 4mm Seconds

A studio can post designs up on walls, but it's worth checking how well they can translate those designs to the skin.
    B+W tattoos open up a completely different style of art, the shading and detail can add so much. A shadow can speak volumes.
    They potentially add so much more definition to a face, imo, than with colour, where an artist would be self conscious of outlines (I know custom artists who are particularly finicky about outlines on custom work)

I can see, with the history of technological advancement, how you would associate the lack of colour with age but seriously, you find a sketch, done by an artist of a stranger sat in front of them during a train ride and you will see the potential a B+W portrait can have. The train thing was actually a friend who did a quick sketch during a train ride, she posted it to fb and it looked incredible.

It's your tattoo though, if you want colour, colour it is. Find an artist with some good previous work on colour portraits and have a chat with them.

Those are my thoughts anyway...
    I am True.
    I have 2 tattoos; Left thigh, right forearm.

I'm booked for tattoo number 3 in July.