Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I have chosen something I want to be tattooed with, but opinions would be nice

Default I have chosen something I want to be tattooed with, but opinions would be nice

Sorry, another thread...I've found a very good portrait artist who would be willing to tattoo the faces from this for me, he usually does his art by shading rather than with solid lines and I've not seen him use solid blocks of colour in portrait tats either, so it'll be a lot of grey shading/highlighting, which is what I'd want.

http://static.stuff.co.nz/1233108507/264/535264.jpg

Is this likely to work as an upper arm tattoo? Certainly has meaning to me, as a lifelong fan, they've provided a lot of inspiration in my lifetime, so the meaning is sound, it's just whether it'll look any good as it is. I think that's where my doubt lies!

Opinions?

Please don't shoot me, but who are they? D:
    Hai, I'm Nox!!

Current; L&R Firsts @ 1.6mm, L&R Seconds @ 1.2mm L&R Low Auricles, R Tragus, R Nostril, L Rook
    Researching & Planning; R Daith, R Faux Rook, L Nostril, L Inner Conch,
    L Side Labret, L&R 5mm firsts
    Retired; Central Labret, 4 Standard Lobes, Naval, 4mm Seconds

dpack_1

Quote Originally Posted by ~Nox~ View Post
    Please don't shoot me, but who are they? D:
    That would be Queen.

As for the idea, your main problem will be how to 'edge' the tattoo. where you'll have the solid black there and using negative space to create the portraits what are you gonna do at the outside of the tattoo, just fade it? square it off like the picture? it's gonna look a little weird whatever way you deal with it.

Heh /facepalm. Knew that pose looked familiar just never seen them all with long hair. Wooops D:

Purely due to the space, I'd think a leg would be better for 4 faces.
    My friends tattooer did this and I think it works on a calf, but depending on the size of your arm it could work.

Artist: Celi @ Cherubs in Devizes
    Hai, I'm Nox!!

Current; L&R Firsts @ 1.6mm, L&R Seconds @ 1.2mm L&R Low Auricles, R Tragus, R Nostril, L Rook
    Researching & Planning; R Daith, R Faux Rook, L Nostril, L Inner Conch,
    L Side Labret, L&R 5mm firsts
    Retired; Central Labret, 4 Standard Lobes, Naval, 4mm Seconds

Quote Originally Posted by ~Nox~ View Post
    Heh /facepalm. Knew that pose looked familiar just never seen them all with long hair. Wooops D:

Woahhhoah, not knowing that was Queen, points have been deducted!

Size of tat will likely be 5.5 inches across roughly...I sadly did print off a 5.5" sized version of the picture and stuck it to my arm with sellotape, it seemed plenty big enough. I have visions of the top three heads being the top of the tat without the black above them, perhaps just some grey shading and any shadows around the faces just blended into my skin with a light grey. I don't want a black blob on my arm with four faces peering out of the darkness. My artist is very competent though and I have no creative skill whatsoever, so when I go down there I'll discuss it with him and see what he says.

That KISS tat is absolutely awesome...funnily enough it was a similar KISS tat that inspired me to get the Queen one on my arm!

Generally though I think I need some encouragement, it's unlike anything I've done before, no one wants to come with me, so I'm gonna have to man up. I don't see any reason why I shouldn't get it I'm just getting the jitters.
    Last edited by thelastsurvivor; 03-30-2013 at 02:55 AM.

dpack_1

5.5 inches is nowhere near big enough to get any kind of detail. You're basically giving about a 2inch width to each portrait, it's not gonna look anything like anyone in a few years. It might still be recognisable from the pose but there will literally be no detail at that size.

Quote Originally Posted by dpack_1 View Post
    5.5 inches is nowhere near big enough to get any kind of detail. You're basically giving about a 2inch width to each portrait, it's not gonna look anything like anyone in a few years. It might still be recognisable from the pose but there will literally be no detail at that size.
    Why, is the detail going to fade quickly because it's small?

It will blur into a big black smush.

Now
    : 11mm lobes. 6mm septum.
    helix. tongue. rook. 5mm conch punches L & R.
    central labret. industrial. double nostrils.
    philtrum. tattoos.

Retired: snakebites. nostril x 2. 2nd & 3rd lobes.
    helix. outer conch. nipple.

Next: tattoos.

Tumblr. Facebook.

I personally wouldn't put a portrait like that on my arm. A friend of mine got a portrait on her upper arm. She changed jobs and gained some unexpected weight, her tattoo doesn't really look like him now. Also the space isn't really great for a lot of detail. I agree that the thigh or possibly the back would be better areas.

I love Queen, and I think it would look great. I'm sure the artist will tattoo it with a bit less shading than the pic has. That Kiss tattoo is incredible!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast