Thread: Will this design work on the knee?

Default Will this design work on the knee?

Hey guys, haven't been around here in a while. I've been brainstorming more about tattoo ideas, and for a few years I've loved this design:

I'd be skipping all the "text" around the circumference because I don't think that would age well, but I think I might try to keep the little "spikes" toward the inside, depending on if those are doable. I'd always planned on getting it as a "shoulder cap," but thanks in part to snicky's gorgeous dotwork piece, I've fallen in love with knee tattoos, too, especially designs that are geometric and compatible with the knee's "roundness."

I was reading around on the internet about knee tattoo experiences and someone mentioned that it's tricky to come up with a design that looks great on the knee in every position, because of how much it bends. Do you guys have an opinion on this?

If it works for the knee, I might get this as my first tattoo when I scrounge up the money. I want to go into paralegal and law for a career, and a knee is much easier to cover than a bicep or my chest (but I'm still considering a chest piece for another tattoo...), so I figure it might be a good place to start. I also feel more comfortable with a solid black-heavy piece on my knee than I am on my upper body.
    Have: 2g lobes (11/11/12); L 16g conch (07/27/12); 14g VCH (09/01/12) | Next: stretch ALL the things! (lobes: 1g; VCH: 12g)
    Also Want: 8g septum, outer labia, nipples; too many tattoo ideas for my own good; goal size for lobes = 1/2" - 5/8"
    Is it weird that I love piercing crusties...?

Placing designs on (large) joints is definitely a challenge, five millimeters up or down can make or break the look of the overall piece when the joint is bent (recently had a circular dotwork piece done on my elbow, the placement was a nightmare to get right).

Other than that, the design looks good. The only thing I'd be worried about is the level of detail in the two circles with texts - it takes a hell of a talented tattooist to actually pull something like that off and even if they do, fine lines in a high-movement/high-friction area may act unpredictably. Every tattoo fades over time and the microscopic lettering would eventually become illegible and smudgy.
    This specific design (lettering intact) would work better on a flatter surface and on a larger scale - something like the upper back would make sense, would look especially nice off-center.

Just my 0.02€
    Hi, 'm Velts. Fear not, I'll only bite on mutual consent & in a very specific setting.
    Stretched, poked, scalpelled, hooked and pierced.

Founding member of Flying Pigs Suspension

42mm+ lobes
    10mm center labret
    10mm nasal septum
    2.4mm Frenum
    1.2mm double nostrils
    1.2mm vertical nip-nips
    Quite a few tattoos, mostly blackwork. 8 suspensions. (will write up on the additional 5 some time soon)A few retired, many to come.

anything you get on your knee is always gonna look a little bit screwed just because of how it sit when your legs is extended vs bent. Thins is a tattoo is for you and not your friends or strangers so if it is something you want and that is where you want it then make it happen.

Ancient thread, closed.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 95 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<