Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tattoos and the workplace

Quote Originally Posted by dpack_1 View Post
    My boss is a dick and makes me cover up everything and take out all my piercings :P (if only showing sarcasm was as easy as bolding / underlining / italicising words)
    Using a "(!)" is the way to punctuate sarcasm.
    "Fortuna Favet Fortibus"
    Grace
    L: Conch|Rook|Lobes x2|Helix Orbital|Helix

​R: Industrial|Lobes x2|Tragus|Conch Orbital

Central Labret​|Right Nipple|HCH x2

2 tattoos & 1 subdermal implant.

Next: 3rd HCH.

dpack_1

Quote Originally Posted by CenturyChild View Post
    Using a "(!)" is the way to punctuate sarcasm.
    Tell that to the Sarcmark guys...

Quote Originally Posted by mpercy View Post
    At my workplace quite a few people have visible tattoos, but I haven't dared to get one on the upper arm in case I need to switch jobs and that would be a problem. What are your experiences do tattoos on arms easily show through shirts?
    Depends on the tattoo and the shirt really....
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x4, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, lip dermal filler
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 86 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Facebook
    UK Jewellery Network

I see that you're in eastern Canada, but I'm from northern BC and currently living on the west coast, and there doesn't seem to be much trouble with tattoos and/or piercings here. I see so many different people out and about with obvious piercings on their faces, and I feel like businesses, as well as people, are becoming more accepting of others' choices. Just kind of a personal observation :P and not a very good one as I don't know of many people who work in corporate situations, but I do know that many of my friends and family (including my mom) have visible tattoos that don't affect their jobs or bosses. And knowing that, it shows just how much our society is changing and evolving, and hopefully it will end up following into positions like yours.

~
    current piercings:
    2x 14ga nipple . right eyebrow
    00ga first lobe . x4 16ga lobe
    16ga philtrum . 16ga septum
    right 18ga tragus . 14ga HCH
    12ga tongue . 12ga venus

~
    wanted piercings:

2x helix . left tragus
    conch??

I personally think it should be okay to have tattoos at work, as long as they're not offensive nor discriminating or abusive. However, we have to draw the line, if you have an entire face covered...

Quote Originally Posted by Xeed View Post
    However, we have to draw the line, if you have an entire face covered...
    Why is having face tattoos over the line? Genuinely interested why it's ok but face isn't.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x4, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, lip dermal filler
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 86 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Facebook
    UK Jewellery Network

I'm very fortunate as I'm a Civil Servant and I can have what ever I want as long it's nothing offensive ( which is a 100% understandable )

although I didn't start getting tattooed until I was already employed there, and I'm under no illusions that depending on who had interviewed me would have make some of the choice based on that. So I guess timing was a factor for me.

Well, it is just a matter of personal preference. If you want it on your arms, go for it, if you want it on your legs, go for it.

My job is pretty laid back but I work for a charity (its paid work), I have a nose piercing and I've seen someone there with a tongue piercing. Doesn't affect our work.

Per our policy, no visible tattoos or non lobe piercings. I have always worn a small nostril stud and never been bothered. Lots of tattoos on some of our peeps too. While nursing is still so conservative and traditional for the most part, I find the ER to be more accepting of deviations. It is silly, and seems to be down to the supervisor's discretion as I've seen her ask others to remove their labret during shift. Apparently she doesn't like those? I steer clear of her, give great care and have never had a patient complain.
    Piercings =)
    Left ear: lobes x2, tragus, inner conch, outer conch x3
    Right ear: lobe, daith
    Paired nostrils, 10g septum
    Retired: Right helix x2, navel x3, bilateral nipples

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast