Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tattoos and the workplace

Default Tattoos and the workplace

Do you guys cover your tattoos at work or not? Is there anyone here who has any kind of corporate job?

I have a large tattoo on my back and a tiny one on my finger. Up until a couple of months ago, I worked in a corporate environment, so I covered them up (my finger one is pretty much covered by my wedding ring). In September, I am going back to school to pursue a career in radio broadcasting, and I am considering getting a large tattoo on my upper arm. BUT, I'm worried that if I fail in radio and have to go back to my business background, I'll have to cover the tattoo if I get it on my arm. So I may get it on my leg instead. What are your experiences & thoughts with having a tattoo in your workplace, particularly a visible one?

I don't cover up any of my tattoos, however they are all in places that could be easily covered up (I've planned them that way). I'm a support worker atm I know that I probably won't have so much freedom with mods etc forever so they're all deliberately hideable/takeoutable. I did recently see a job advert in a bakery the other day, it said something at the end like "No visible tattoos".. I was just like wow! Its a bakery.. who gives a damn!

Now
    : 11mm lobes. 6mm septum.
    helix. tongue. rook. 5mm conch punches L & R.
    central labret. industrial. double nostrils.
    philtrum. tattoos.

Retired: snakebites. nostril x 2. 2nd & 3rd lobes.
    helix. outer conch. nipple.

Next: tattoos.

Tumblr. Facebook.

I work for myself at home, no issues here. Upper arm is extremely easy to cover though...
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x4, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, lip dermal filler
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 86 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS - RECOMMENDED UK PIERCERS *****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Facebook
    UK Jewellery Network

Senior Member misstress_malice_mizer's Avatar

my works policy on tattoos and piercing is basically tattoos must be easily coverable and no facial jewellery although I suspect that's more of a health and safety issue which is why I'm hoping to get my septum done cause it's something easily hidden and it's not likely to get ripped out or knocked by a wriggling child and considering the amount of times I've nearly been kicked in the face by a child who really does not like having their feet measured that can only be a good thing
    http://maliceinunderderland.tumblr.com/ (nsfw)
    1.2mm lobes, 1.6mm septum
    retired nostril piercing
    two tattoos
    wish list as long as my arm
    available on
    facebook
    tumblr

Upper arm is easy to cover up, but I don't really want to wear longer sleeves when it's warm outside. Maybe I should get it on my leg then and if I do well in radio then get another one on my upper arm.

when i worked in a nursery i wasnt allowed any visible tattoos or piercings ... and got turned down quite a bit because of the one on my wrist. Even if it was covered i wasnt allowed it.

When i worked in an office on a building site they wasnt fussed as long as they could get covered when senior management & head office came down from their tower in the sky.

When i worked on a building site as an actual costruction worker they were allowed at the managers disscression ... although the males were allowed sleeves etc ...very sexist.

My current job is accounts assistant with an asian lead firm. all of my tattoos and peircings must be covered & removed due to their religious beliefs and their culture.
    they find my tattoos demeaning and vulgar and quite offensive.

id get easily coverable tattoos if i were you as im now trying for a new job and keep getting turned down because of the one on my wrist
    WellyBank
    Hello'd i'm Holey :')

Pierced.Inked.Modded

Quote Originally Posted by wellybank View Post
    When i worked on a building site as an actual costruction worker they were allowed at the managers disscression ... although the males were allowed sleeves etc ...very sexist.
    Not just sexist but that's sexual discrimination.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x4, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, lip dermal filler
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 86 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS - RECOMMENDED UK PIERCERS *****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Facebook
    UK Jewellery Network

Wellybank: Wow, what a dick for a manager at the construction site.

Right now, I'm looking at artists who do custom work in my area, and I'm going to see if they can come up with a design that is smaller but a similar style to the ones I like. If I don't get a smaller design that I like, I'll get one of the bigger ones I like but put it on my leg instead.

Hey its a great job..I like to create tattoos and its so attractive..

I'm training to be a nurse, and so far all the hospitals I've worked at aren't fussed about visible tattoos as long as they're not offensive. None of mine are visible though except for a leaf which pokes out of my uniform from my arm tattoo. All the patients who notice it seem to love it. Don't think I'll be getting any tattoos on my forearms or wrists though, just in case I do come across a prejudice ward manager.
    Tattoos: 3 coloured roses and patterns on left arm. Black & grey winged lion with roses on right foot/ankle. Large purple lily inside left calf. Stylized fairy on hip. Turquoise bird on leg.
    Piercings: Ear lobes 2 x 7mm, Rook, Nipple, Navel

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast