Thread: Old nipple piercing itchy problem!

Default Old nipple piercing itchy problem!

Firstly sorry for posting several questions over only a few days - just discovered this forum and have had some questions burning away for a while ha!

I've had a nipple piercing for about 13 years now and had no problems up until now. My nipple started itching on and off about 6 months ago and has progressvely just got worse and worse and now its almost constant. It gets dry, cracked and sore and unbearably itchy - its not exactly easy to scratch your nipple whilst sat in a meeting either!!

The piercing itself is absolutely fine no problems its just the skin on my nipple.

Over the last year or so I've developed allergies to all sorts of stuff - certain types of make up, body lotions etc. and I'm wondering whether the jewellery I had in my nipple could be the problem? Have you heard of this happening before?

I've taken the bar out today to see whether the itching stops and then I can surmise its the bar or piercing. If not I reckon I need a trip to the drs!

If it does appear to be the bar do you know which kind of material for jewellery is least likely to cause a reaction? So strange as none of my others have caused the same problem. I love nipple piercing and really don't want to retire it. I've had it for almost half my life and feels like part of me, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Titanium, bioplast or PTFE . It's entirely possible you've developed a sensitivity to nickel. If possible you could also try emu oil.
    Current: Double nostrils, philtrum, nipple. Various cartilage, 9/16'' lobes.
    Retired: Nipple, navel x4, wrist, nape, MD, tongue web x2, lower lip piercings x4, nostril, helix, lobe piercings, septum, cheek piercings.
    4 tattoos.

What is my life for and what am I going to do with it? I don't know and I'm afraid. I can never read all the books I want; I can never be all the people I want and live all the lives I want.
    Facebook

Thank you - this may be a bit of a daft question but is surgical grade steel one thats less likely to cause a reaction too?

No, even higher grade steel contains nickel, you need to go for materials that contain none.
    Retired: Nipple, navel x4, wrist, nape, MD, tongue web x2, lower lip piercings x4, nostril, helix, lobe piercings, septum, cheek piercings.
    4 tattoos.

What is my life for and what am I going to do with it? I don't know and I'm afraid. I can never read all the books I want; I can never be all the people I want and live all the lives I want.
    Facebook

Ah ok thank you! Looks like itching has subsided for now - so looks like it could be the piercing thats causing the problem . better than it be something sinister though!
    Last edited by northern181; 01-19-2013 at 03:02 PM.

I'd still change it just to be on the safe side. It could just be dry, you could try a little bit of oil just to make sure it doesn't start cracking.
    4 tattoos.

Facebook

Yep def gonna change it. It's out at the min and itchiness has gone so def need to get a bar in one of the materials u suggested if I want to keep it. Thank you for your advice

I am also having prob with my nip