Thread: Nose piercing bump!

Unhappy Nose piercing bump!

So toward the end of November in 2012 I got my right nostril pierced.
    It was pierced with a corkscrew piercing (pierced by a needle) and it seemed so great until a few weeks later. Mid-December a bump formed overnight and then it grew and grew and popped in the shower one day so I messed with the bump because it was so unsightly. I picked at it and cleaned it out with the piercing cleaning solution.
    Within that time, three weeks after the initial piercing, I changed to a nose hoop thinking it would help. I figured it was the jewelry causing the bump.
    The ugly bloody bump remained then and I tried to stop picking at it and started using tea tree oil in addition to the normal cleaning routine.
    Last week the full, flesh-coloured bump was there without any ugly scabs or crusting so I thought maybe if I just used the tea tree oil it would go down like I read. It did not and ended up bleeding again and then I messed with it again and it's back to that ugly bloody half-deflated bump thing filled with blood. I've also been blowing my nose a lot since the time I got it pierced.
    I just want to know if there's any hope for my piercing. I love it dearly, but it's so unsightly and I'm becoming so discouraged. Should I put the corkscrew back in? Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Read this topic! I would stop using tea tree oil as you are most likely irritating it! Stop picking. Return to your piercer to let them take a look as well
    https://www.bodyjewelleryshop.com/fo...-The-Bump-quot

Good luck. Bumps do get better
    Jo

Will the day be bright or cloudy?
    Sweetly has its dawn begun
    But the heaven may shake with thunder
    Ere the setting of the sun
    Emily Bronte 1836

I have: First lobes, single Right nostril, left tragus, naval, left Conch and new Right 14 gauge conch
    Retired 2nd lobes, daith, rook and helix8

thank you! i tried searching around but i guess i bypassed that post!

Hi guys

I was wondering if maybe anyone could help me out. My nose piercing has, generally, been an absolute dream up until about a fortnight ago when I noticed a dreaded bump starting to appear - something I'm not entirely foreign to as I had one on my industrial. However, unlike other 'bumps' I've had this one has bled whenever I've bathed it and I am a little bit worried. I religiously stick to chamomile teabag compresses and soaks (mixed with a little bit of sea salt) or use a cold saline solution that I had from the hospital following an operation and completely submerge the piercing in a shot glass of either. I've noticed results as it has gone down ever so slightly and, often when I bathe it and clean it with a q-tip afterwards, little bits of skin do peel off of it. However it is just the bleeding that concerns me and, ultimately, how red the bump itself actually is. I've read certain people on the internet saying that tea tree oil can stop the bleeding but it just seems harsh to me when it's effectively an open wound. Shall I just stick to the soaks or does anyone else have any other advice? I'm also a bit worried about the jewellery, he never really specified the material when he did the piercing and my left nostril does feel pretty swollen when compared to the right.

Thanks for the help
    Last edited by Wolvensam; 01-21-2013 at 02:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolvensam View Post
    Hi guys

I was wondering if maybe anyone could help me out. My nose piercing has, generally, been an absolute dream up until about a fortnight ago when I noticed a dreaded bump starting to appear - something I'm not entirely foreign to as I had one on my industrial. However, unlike other 'bumps' I've had this one has bled whenever I've bathed it and I am a little bit worried. I religiously stick to chamomile teabag compresses and soaks (mixed with a little bit of sea salt) or use a cold saline solution that I had from the hospital following an operation and completely submerge the piercing in a shot glass of either. I've noticed results as it has gone down ever so slightly and, often when I bathe it and clean it with a q-tip afterwards, little bits of skin do peel off of it. However it is just the bleeding that concerns me and, ultimately, how red the bump itself actually is. I've read certain people on the internet saying that tea tree oil can stop the bleeding but it just seems harsh to me when it's effectively an open wound. Shall I just stick to the soaks or does anyone else have any other advice? I'm also a bit worried about the jewellery, he never really specified the material when he did the piercing and my left nostril does feel pretty swollen when compared to the right.

Thanks for the help
    Make sure it's titanium you have in there and ditch the soaks leaving it alone and it may well just go.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x6, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 91 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

LITHA is pretty much the method I took with this piercing after I molly coddled my industrial probably a bit too much. In fact the only time I ever really 'cleaned' it was once a day in the shower, I'm not sure I have ever soaked it up until acquiring this bump. I am only really worried about the jewellery due to the fact my nostril is pretty swollen compared to the other (as I said) and my piercer never detailed the jewellery when piercing it. Perhaps it's worth asking my usual piercer to change the jewellery (I went elsewhere for this one, foolishly) just to be on the safe side, as painful as it will be due to swelling and the fact this stud is slightly thicker at the bottom. Though as I said up until a couple of weeks ago it was wonderful and I've had this since mid-November, unless these things can just suddenly occur.

Seven days later from this post and the bump, as well as the swelling, appears to have completely disappeared! Not entirely sure what I've done differently besides my soaks and thorough rinsing in the shower, but it appears to have worked an absolute treat whilst Ibuprofen is handling the swelling for now. I'm over the moon as it did look a bit of a lost cause with how irritated and swollen it was and I was absolutely terrified that something had gone wrong I've done myself a favour and ordered a ring from the shop on here to ask my piercer to fit for me (they only do 1.2mm rings and studs whereas my nose is 1mm). Hopefully it will work a treat

It was most likely just a keloid, my sister works at Blue Banana and she says the amount of people they get coming in saying their piercing is infected when all it is is just a keloid is astonishing. I got one when I had a scaffold piercing done and plenty of tea tree oil works a treat (you can buy a small 10ml jar from Blue Banana quite cheap), it's just a part of the natural healing process and can crop up occasionally so don't worry about it next time
    Piercings:

Left ear:
    Industrial, conch, lobes x2
    Right ear: Helix, tragus, lobes x2
    Other: Septum, nose
    Retired: Navel, 10mm stretcher, vertical tragus
    Wishlist: Rook (R), lip labret, second conch (L)

Tattoos Wishlist:

Triforce symbol (right wrist), Fox (chest)

^ Read the bump post before throwing that word out there :p
    Had 50+ piercings in total, get bored, take out, get bored, pierce again.

Quote Originally Posted by Molzilla View Post
    It was most likely just a keloid, my sister works at Blue Banana and she says the amount of people they get coming in saying their piercing is infected when all it is is just a keloid is astonishing. I got one when I had a scaffold piercing done and plenty of tea tree oil works a treat (you can buy a small 10ml jar from Blue Banana quite cheap), it's just a part of the natural healing process and can crop up occasionally so don't worry about it next time
    Even though it won't be a keloid, BB aren't piercers and you should never ever use TTO on a healing piercing.

Urgh.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x6, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 91 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<