Thread: The Pet Thread

I could, but I've read too many scientific articles on the long term negative side effects of early neutering. Even wrote an essay on it for uni.
    It's actually really sad, dogs neutered under a year old are at increased risk of joint problems, cancer, behavioral issues etc. Dogs neutered at any age are more likely to be sensitive, aggressive and insecure than intact dogs, despite those exact issues being the main reasons for sterilization besides unwanted pregnancy.
    You can substitute the hormones, or instead of complete castration in males have a vasectomy done, or in females you leave the ovaries in, more like tying tubes than removal, but we only have one vet here and I don't trust them as it is except for minor issues, and I doubt very much they'd be open to it.
    I want her to finish growing, and I don't mind dealing with her seasons since she's only a little dog.

Sorry if I sound a bit full-on, I find most pet owners don't realise there are other options. Obviously population control for rescues etc is of utmost importance, but for a responsible individual with only one or two dogs from a breeder or personally rescued wanting to let nature do it's thing, there are better ways to give your dogs a full life
    Mikayla
    ​Piercings:
    Have: Left ear lobe 3x16g, Right ear lobe 3x16g,
    Right nostril x1, Belly, Both Nipples
    Want: Both ears - Triple Conch,
    Rook, Tragus, 3x Helix,
    Retired: Central Labret, Septum
    Tattoos:
    Have: Paw on left wrist with snowflake & dog's name & yob-yod underneath
    Phoenix on left forearm & Universe Horse right thigh piece
    Future: Top/rest of sleeve - to be designed

Ah right, I see. I honestly had no idea there were other options! I guess with dogs it's a bit easier because they're mostly going to be with you. There's no way we could have left Piggies intact, she'd have had 10 litters by now ha, the boys are always sniffing around!
    Sarah

"Do not go gentle into the good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

Yeah, but intact dogs have lots of problems too, including increased risk of cancers, behavior issues, UTIs, etc. it really comes down to the care of the individual animal than whether or not they are intact. I, for one, am a huge advocate of spaying/neutering between 6 mos and 1 year
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." -Winston Churchill

Current: 4x lobes, left industrial, right helix, right nostril, left conch, 2x diagonal(ish) nipples, right daith, left surface tragus

Tats: 3 hours, 2 pieces

Quote Originally Posted by Thehorror View Post
    Yeah, but intact dogs have lots of problems too, including increased risk of cancers, behavior issues, UTIs, etc. it really comes down to the care of the individual animal than whether or not they are intact. I, for one, am a huge advocate of spaying/neutering between 6 mos and 1 year
    I'm with you. For as many studies there are on why neutering is bad there's just as many if not more to say it's good. Both have good and bad points.

All my pets are neutered and any future ones will be as well (depending on the animal ofc!).
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 95 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Of course, every case has to be decided by the owners and of course individuals will always be different. There will always be pros and cons to it, just comes down to the owners needs and wants and whether the animal will benefit most from either choice. I just like to make sure that the owners know there are other options, because lots don't realise, and most vets are hardly going to mention it when it's not going to put money in their pockets.

I'm not a fan of the rescue here, only because I've never had a good interaction with them. The one we have here is not at all doing it in the interest of the animals. For the lady who runs it, it's simply a way to get to tell people what they can and can't do, a power trip, and it's disgusting. They wanted to put down a very sweet, very rehomeable dog because she snapped at another dog(totally fixable and a non-issue). The carer was even prepared to pay for the dogs training, she just couldn't have the commitment of adopting her. The lady running the rescue demanded that the carer either pay for the adoption so they could wipe their hands of it, or hand the dog over to be destroyed. A friend of mine who is a dog behaviouralist and trainer, got a rescue 2000km away to take custody of the dog, after a lengthy process of arguing with the rescue here they finally put the dog on the plane. The lady lied to the other rescue about the dog having had a litter, saying she'd never had pups despite her profile on their website saying she'd had 8 puppies who were now weaned and she was ready to go to her new home. She eventually gave in, but wanted nothing to do with the dog, didn't want any of it coming back to bite her and basically tried to wipe her hands of the whole thing like it never happened.
    This lady raises thousands of dollars a year through fundraising, which is supposed to be for the animals vaccinations and sterilization. They charge $270 for a female cat, $200 for a male cat, $550 for a female dog and $450 for a male dog. Now the carers pay for all food and housing etc, the vets give them discounted rates, medications etc, and ALL the staff are volunteers, which we never hear the end of when people complain that they can't get a hold of anyone, we have no shelter here so all the animals are with carers. They're ALWAYS banging on about how much they make through fundraising, just recently they held some gala dinner thing, tickets were $70 a head. They raised over $17,000 and yet that very weekend they were out there fundraising again. I do not trust for one second, that this lady isn't pocketing half the cash that goes through this rescue.
    /rant
    Mikayla
    ​Piercings:
    Have: Left ear lobe 3x16g, Right ear lobe 3x16g,
    Right nostril x1, Belly, Both Nipples
    Want: Both ears - Triple Conch,
    Rook, Tragus, 3x Helix,
    Retired: Central Labret, Septum
    Tattoos:
    Have: Paw on left wrist with snowflake & dog's name & yob-yod underneath
    Phoenix on left forearm & Universe Horse right thigh piece
    Future: Top/rest of sleeve - to be designed

So now I have juvenile seahorses. Literally bringing my work home with me
    Got: Left Ear: Lobe (19mm/5mm/1.6mm), 4xhelix, 5mm conch

Right Ear: Lobe (19mm/5mm/1.6mm), inner helix, orbital (Top)

Other: 4xtongue (2/2.4/3.2mm), septum

My new fur babies <3

left ear: 14mm lobe, helix & tragus
    right ear: 14mm lobe, rook & conch
    elsewhere: nostril, nipples & 2 tattoos

Squeeeeeee piggies!! <3
    I'm Sam Come & say hi!
    Twitter Facebook

Nipple Cross. Tongue. Conch. Nostrils. 10mm Lobes. Nipple.

left ear: 14mm lobe, helix & tragus
    right ear: 14mm lobe, rook & conch
    elsewhere: nostril, nipples & 2 tattoos

Oh my goodness those pigs are so cute! I really need a trip to the pet shop to look at the babies!
    Sarah

"Do not go gentle into the good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light."