Thread: The Pet Thread

Quote Originally Posted by HannahKate View Post
    You could try asking a friendly local vets if they know of anywhere. We get to hear of so many good and bad experiences they might at least be able to warn you off some even if they can't point out a great place.
    Now that's a good idea!! thanks
    what's a few seconds of pain for a lifetime of shiny?

Both lobes 1/2", 5mm, 1.6mm
    Left rook & 5mm helix punch
    Right helix x2 & forward helix
    VCH, 5mm tongue

I bought beautiful custom bedding for my ferrets Finn and Lucy when the vet confirmed that Finn (at the age of 5) is adrenal. His sister Lucy (same age) has had a subtotal adrenalectomy (aka 2 separate surgeries, one for each gland). He is too old for surgery so we are managing it with Lupron for the meanwhile, as we wait for his implant to come in from abroad. Anyways.. a little bit of fur-parent guilt means they are getting custom made bedding, in cotton zebra print and black fleece: a 10" round bed, a hanging sleeper, a floor sleep sack, 2 hammocks, jingle toys, scooty toys, hanging cube, 2 floor covers for their Ferret Nation cage, 2 shelf covers, and 3 ramp covers. Also having my mom sew lots of little fleecy zebra blankys. Won't even get into the cost....or shipping... haha.. eitherway, very much looking forward to it, and I'm sure my sick-furbaby guilt will dissipate when Finn's Deslorelin implant arrives from Australia.
    I ordered from "Little Ferret Feet" http://www.facebook.com/littlefeetfe...ref=ts&fref=ts they also do bedding for other pocket animals, if anyone is interested.
    Anyways, here are 2 photos from yesterday when they got a quick 5 minute dig in the freshly fallen snow. Finn in the green, Lucy in the red.

Last edited by xBenji; 12-30-2012 at 03:02 AM.
    Benji
    Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt.

Beautiful ferrets! My ferret had a total adrenal meltdown when she was older than your Finn. At the time, my vet had no experience with adrenals at all in ferrets. She went totally bald and was itching uncontrollably and he had no idea what to do. I googled and hit him with the info. He agreed to take the gland out whether it was affected or not. It was and within weeks her hair grew back. She was the benchmark for the surgery and they have done hundreds so far. Jessie's no longer with us but she lived to over 9 years.
    I don't doubt your vet but I would personally push for the surgery, it is risky with an older ferret but the recovery is quick.
    You're managing it tho..so good luck and keep spoiling!! x
    Labret, Nostril, 6 x Lobes, 3 x Helix (2 X stretching), Tragus, Daith & Inner Conch
    ~ I'm Faye ~

My vet is a very experienced ferret surgeon, with people coming in from all over the province for surgeries. Both of my guys are rescue ferrets so the conservative estimate is that they are 5 years old, but they may be much older. Since the average age of a ferret is 7 years (woohoo for 9 years, good for you ), it is too risky to do surgery on a ferret which is around 5 years old, and although there may be short term success it is not worth it in a lot of other ways (stress from anesthesia, potentially not even living through the surgery etc). I completely trust the opinion of this vet, and you're right for any ferret even 4 years old and younger I would absolutely push for the surgery. My little girl lucy initially had her first adrenal removed by this vet when she was still at the rescue. When she needed her right adrenal removed around a year after adopting her (a very very risky surgery given the placement of the right adrenal on the vena cava) our new vet absolutely refused to do it. We went back to the vet who did her original surgery and haven't looked back since, he is fantastic. The deslorelin implant is only recently accessible in Canada, and will easily eliminate any signs of being adrenal for up to 2 years (Finn is very early in stages- another reason surgery isn't the first priority, he actually hasn't lost any fur yet (Lucy was butt naked from her hips down)- he is primarily just showing some skin issues and was chewing at his poor tail from being itchy (you can see a few little scabs in the picture, although it has been much better since the lupron). The implant is $200, but compared to $60 lupron shots every month, vs 1 implant for 2 years. For any one else with an adrenal ferret- get their surgery- FOR SURE. It is the only way to truly deal with the condition, and to make sure there is no cancer (which there was for lucy, luckily she is doing SO well almost 2 years on the vet was so succesful at leaving just a sliver of normal tissue to allow for hormones, but completely removed the carcinoma). Do you have any ferrets now, redribbon?
    Benji

My boyfriend's dog, Sapphire She's absolutely beautiful, the first shar pei I've ever seen in person!

Hi, I'm Philly

Current;

L industrial | L rook | L conch | R tragus | R helix | R daith | 4 x standard lobe | 2 x 6mm lobe | L nostril | Septum |

Retired;
    L nipple | Navel |

Find me;
    Blog| Instagram

You're doing a great job with your ferrets, Benji - I don't think enough folk appreciate them as pets and it's wonderful how dedicated you are. I took Jeesie on accidentally really, she was half wild polecat and was never fully tameable. Too aggressive for her previous owner. Had to always handle her with a thick glove yet she was so affectionate and hilarious. I miss her and your pix are tempting me!! Walking on the harness is such good fun. I loved the way when her hair grew back she would just propel herself against anything soft and fuzzy, like pillows, flat on her stomach, loving the sensation.
    Ferrets love life and I miss the energy. But alas, due to being a workaholic there's none on the horizon right now. The implant is an amazing progression.
    xx
    Last edited by redribbon; 12-30-2012 at 12:36 PM.
    Labret, Nostril, 6 x Lobes, 3 x Helix (2 X stretching), Tragus, Daith & Inner Conch
    ~ I'm Faye ~

Thanks redribbon, they certainly are a big commitment, but worth every penny! When they do something silly, or curl up under the blanket with me I can't help but smile. It's a shame what mass breeding from a small gene pool has done to contribute to their health issues. I love my rescue babies but its hard to know that if I ever want a "healthy" ferret I will need to travel to the USA and buy from a private breeder. Unfortunately all the ones that end up in the shelter are bred puppy-mill style and invariably end up with adrenal disease or pancreatic cancer. One thing is for sure, I don't see myself ever living without a carpet shark, rescue or other. I will have to post a picture of my ferret nation when it is all set up with their new bedding... not that they spend much time in there anyways. :p
    Last edited by xBenji; 12-30-2012 at 02:31 PM.
    Benji

Quote Originally Posted by Aberdeenshire SSPCA
    Edgar is an adult cornsnake who came into our care after being found as a stray.
    It's not exactly warm up here, I doubt a snake would survive long or get very far as a "stray". Is this a nice way of saying "found after being dumped somewhere"? :(
    what's a few seconds of pain for a lifetime of shiny?

Both lobes 1/2", 5mm, 1.6mm
    Left rook & 5mm helix punch
    Right helix x2 & forward helix
    VCH, 5mm tongue

^^ Yeah. Pretty common with snakes sadly.
    32mm lobe (down from 50mm) : 10mm lobe : 8mm conch punch : 1.2mm Philtrum (down from 2mm) : 12mm oval labret (down from 18mm) : tongue split : scarification x2 : lots of ink :

Mylo & Charlie Brown. Desperately want another bunny, this is the best we can do for now
    I'm Sam Come & say hi!
    Twitter Facebook

Nipple Cross. Tongue. Conch. Nostrils. 10mm Lobes. Nipple.