Thread: Old nose piercing, weird white ring around hole?

Question Old nose piercing, weird white ring around hole?

Friends,

Long story short, there's a weird white ring around my piercing (dead skin?) that won't go away.

Now, here's the long story: I've had my nose pierced for over a year. I had a seriously-bad bump above the piercing for around 6 months (no joke) that finally went away when I switched my jewelry from SS (which contains nickel) to Titanium. The bump has not returned since (for over 6 months), BUT the piercing still has not completely healed. It still gets infected off-and-on, puss shows up whenever I get out of the shower, and it crusts still. I think my body just takes longer than normal to heal (I've had a similar issue with my ear-piercings before). I also had a rip where my ring moved itself (weird, right?). That's where the small scar above the piercing is from (it isn't half as noticeable as it is in the picture).

Anyways, see the weird white ring above the hole? What is that? How do I make that go away? Looking at my piercing, can you tell what's wrong? Professional answers only, please.

Here are some pictures:

http://i846.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps4f5354dd.jpg

http://i846.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps6afe8537.jpg

Thanks everyone!

-Izzy

Rings are notoriously bad for healing. You might want to switch to a stud for a while. The picture is hard to see. Does it appear to be dry skin? That is how it looked to me. If it is you might want to try emu oil. It is anti-inflammatory and lubricating, and safe for piercings. If you do not want emu oil (it is made from emus) there are also bio oil, naked oil, and others that are vegan.
    Hi, I'm Megan.
    current:
    1st and 2nd lobes, both sides
    double helix,daith left
    tragus, conch, right
    nostril, right

10g septum
    standard navel
    VCH
    Christina
    tattoos:
    lily on left rib, needs a quote to finish

future possibles:
    industrial,
    double outer labia
    philtrum,
    second nostril
    retired:
    horizontal nipples both

Thanks for the info!

If the oil accidentally gets into the hole, will it cause irritation, or is it completely safe? I remember one-time I accidentally got some scar-treatment oil into the actual piercing and it got extremely infected. Will this not happen with emu-oil?

No, it is safe even for the inside. Make sure you only buy 100% pure emu oil. It is slippery so you only need a drop or two. A small bottle with last for a long time. Also I forgot to mention, it probably is not getting infected. Infections in piercings are extremely rare and usually happen within the first day or two. Lymph fluid is completely normal and is clear, milky, slightly yellow and yellow when dry. Lymph can happen even after the piercings are healed. Puss would be dark yellow, green or brown. It would also be red, hot and painful if infected.
    Hi, I'm Megan.
    current:
    double helix,daith left
    tragus, conch, right
    nostril, right

10g septum
    standard navel
    VCH
    Christina
    tattoos:

future possibles:
    industrial,
    double outer labia
    philtrum,
    second nostril
    retired:
    horizontal nipples both

Is there a certain brand of emu oil you recommend? I'm seeing a ton of options online. Will it help with inflammation? Along with the dead-skin, the skin is also a bit "raised" around the hole....not like a piercing bump or anything, but it definitely isn't level with the rest of my nose at the moment.

That kind of depends on where you live. I believe Redraven listed a place she trusts in the Emu oil thread on the first page. However I am from the USA and can't order from there. I got mine from bodyartforms.com and it should help with inflammation though as I mentioned rings are not good for healing. It might be worth it to put in a screw or a labret for a while.
    Hi, I'm Megan.
    current:
    double helix,daith left
    tragus, conch, right
    nostril, right

10g septum
    standard navel
    VCH
    Christina
    tattoos:

future possibles:
    industrial,
    double outer labia
    philtrum,
    second nostril
    retired:
    horizontal nipples both

I wonder if your nose ring is too small & pulling down & causing the discoloring of the tissue? Good luck with it!
    Jo

Will the day be bright or cloudy?
    Sweetly has its dawn begun
    But the heaven may shake with thunder
    Ere the setting of the sun
    Emily Bronte 1836

I have: First lobes, single Right nostril, left tragus, naval, left Conch and new Right 14 gauge conch
    Retired 2nd lobes, daith, rook and helix8

Quote Originally Posted by Bimbielf View Post
    I wonder if your nose ring is too small & pulling down & causing the discoloring of the tissue? Good luck with it!
    Hmm...I've wondered if it's too small as well. When I got the jewelry switched out, that's where the rip happened (the small red scar above the piercing). Maybe it was too small and was pushing down?

If I swap it out for something bigger, or even a stud for the time being, will the coloration come back? Is this reversible? Or is this permanent damage done to the tissue?

-Izzy

Quote Originally Posted by MrBenny View Post
    Hmm...I've wondered if it's too small as well. When I got the jewelry switched out, that's where the rip happened (the small red scar above the piercing). Maybe it was too small and was pushing down?

If I swap it out for something bigger, or even a stud for the time being, will the coloration come back? Is this reversible? Or is this permanent damage done to the tissue?

-Izzy
    I thought it looked like a migration scar. It might go away in time but it is really dependent on how easy you scar. My navel migrated and I have a dark purple scar. My nipples migrated and you can't even tell it now. You should probably assume it is permanent. If you want it back up where it was originally you would just have to remove and repierce.
    Hi, I'm Megan.
    current:
    double helix,daith left
    tragus, conch, right
    nostril, right

10g septum
    standard navel
    VCH
    Christina
    tattoos:

future possibles:
    industrial,
    double outer labia
    philtrum,
    second nostril
    retired:
    horizontal nipples both

That reminds me of my brother's retired labret hole. The small white ring has never disappeared, even years later. I have a labret and when I stretch the stem out I can see a whte ring too. Weird.
    Labret, Nostril, 6 x Lobes, 3 x Helix (2 X stretching), Tragus, Daith & Inner Conch
    ~ I'm Faye ~