Thread: Man killed on New York subway at midday watched by a number of people.

Default Man killed on New York subway at midday watched by a number of people.

I read this article today at work:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...es-Square.html

What are your thoughts? Would you be able to shake off the 'bystander effect' to help him? Or would you freeze and not know what to do? I think the New York Post were disgusting to publish the picture. I think it was gratuitous and disrespectful to that poor man's family. I wish I could say that I would have tried to help him but I guess unless you're in the situation, you don't know what you'd do. Either way, that poor man, it's such a horrible thing to happen :/
    Sarah

"Do not go gentle into the good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

Quote Originally Posted by catface View Post
    I read this article today at work:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...es-Square.html

What are your thoughts? Would you be able to shake off the 'bystander effect' to help him? Or would you freeze and not know what to do? I think the New York Post were disgusting to publish the picture. I think it was gratuitous and disrespectful to that poor man's family. I wish I could say that I would have tried to help him but I guess unless you're in the situation, you don't know what you'd do. Either way, that poor man, it's such a horrible thing to happen :/
    Agreed, it's not something I think I could answer unless I was there. I've been in some horrible fight/flight situations, one where I could have stepped in and the other where it was too late, both resulted in death, with the former if I got involved I could well have ended up in the same situation hence my hesitation, the 2nd sadly was very similar to what happened above, it was also a friend of mine but it was a pure accident, he simply fell.

Of course we don't know the full account of what happened there, we go from there being plenty of people near to him to only a few most of whom were elderly or women (not sure why that means they're exempt from trying to help him though). We're told he was pushed randomly to he confronted someone and had left the house drunk just over an hour earlier, that person then pushed him.

It's very hard when you don't have the facts and we'll probably not know them until footage is seen etc. If I was right near him, no fatal risk to myself I would have very likely tried to pull him up. Sadly people freeze, panic or think the worst, some even thought he may have been a terrorist commiting suicide.

As for the guy taking the photograph, I find it amazing how there is almost more condemnation on him for taking a photo than there is for the man who murdered poor Mr Han, then again this is society and people are often ready to point the finger and sensationalise when they can. I'm not saying it's right or wrong to take the photo, I do think NYP's publication of it was pretty disgusting but again that's the media, it hardly surprises me.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 95 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Oddly, the first thing I thought of when skim-reading that was an artist I studied a while back who photographed children in Africa. He was called Kevin . .something, my memory fails me, but he became famous for his photography, and suffered a personal crises almost basically going to take a photograph of a little girl who was so wasted away she literally kept collapsing on her way to a food shelter. Because he reached for his camera first to photograph it instead of initially going to help her he realised how disgusted he'd become by it. He actually ended up commiting suicide because it affected him so deeply.
    Not the same, but that's where my mind went. Tbh I don't know. I'm normally quite good in situations with staying calm (it hits me after, not initially, but everyone's different). As Hazel's pointing out, you'll never know all of the facts from the situation. It's all too easy to berate yourself or others with hindsight. Nevertheless, I don't think that photo ought to have been published. I can only think how upsetting it must be for his family.
    Current: Double nostrils, philtrum, nipple. Various cartilage, 9/16'' lobes.
    Retired: Nipple, navel x4, wrist, nape, MD, tongue web x2, lower lip piercings x4, nostril, helix, lobe piercings, septum, cheek piercings.
    4 tattoos.

What is my life for and what am I going to do with it? I don't know and I'm afraid. I can never read all the books I want; I can never be all the people I want and live all the lives I want.
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by soph_17 View Post
    Oddly, the first thing I thought of when skim-reading that was an artist I studied a while back who photographed children in Africa.
    Oh my, I remember that too, very moving on many levels and thought provoking as well as tragic for many.

Come to think of it, think of all the photos you see of tragic events and people, so many could be berated, why just single out a man who would have had to have sprinted hard (according to his estimated distance away) to get to this man, stop and then calmly pull him up...do we all have a duty to be lifesavers? If so then we should all be donating all our excess money after food/bills to charity to save lives there too!

Makes you think!
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 95 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Quote Originally Posted by soph_17 View Post
    Oddly, the first thing I thought of when skim-reading that was an artist I studied a while back who photographed children in Africa. He was called Kevin . .something, my memory fails me, but he became famous for his photography, and suffered a personal crises almost basically going to take a photograph of a little girl who was so wasted away she literally kept collapsing on her way to a food shelter. Because he reached for his camera first to photograph it instead of initially going to help her he realised how disgusted he'd become by it. He actually ended up commiting suicide because it affected him so deeply.
    Not the same, but that's where my mind went. Tbh I don't know. I'm normally quite good in situations with staying calm (it hits me after, not initially, but everyone's different). As Hazel's pointing out, you'll never know all of the facts from the situation. It's all too easy to berate yourself or others with hindsight. Nevertheless, I don't think that photo ought to have been published. I can only think how upsetting it must be for his family.
    Kevin Carter. I have to admit I only remember that because of the Manic Street Preachers song about him.
    Piercings
    2x left earlobe - 1992, 1998
    2x right earlobe - 1992, 1998
    Left nostril - 4/2/07
    Right tragus - 18/9/08
    VCH - 16/1/09
    Left tragus - 14/5/09
    Left helix - 14/5/09
    Right forward helix - 19/8/10
    Right snug - 21/1/12
    Left rook - 11/10/13

RIP
    Left helix - 1999 - 2001
    Cleavage microdermal - 16/1/10 - 1/10/10

Tongue web - 26/10/10 - 26/11/11

Tattoo
    Rose on back - 22/6/12

Quote Originally Posted by Ezzles View Post
    Kevin Carter. I have to admit I only remember that because of the Manic Street Preachers song about him.
    Oh yeah, forgot there's a MSP song about him! But yes, that is to whom I was referring.
    Current: Double nostrils, philtrum, nipple. Various cartilage, 9/16'' lobes.
    Retired: Nipple, navel x4, wrist, nape, MD, tongue web x2, lower lip piercings x4, nostril, helix, lobe piercings, septum, cheek piercings.
    4 tattoos.

What is my life for and what am I going to do with it? I don't know and I'm afraid. I can never read all the books I want; I can never be all the people I want and live all the lives I want.
    Facebook

Gosh, how awful. I don't know what I'd do, but I think I would be quite traumatised by it.

so sad the world seems to be going crazy

it'd be tough too, but i think i could take a stand if needed.