Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Give prisoners the vote?!

Quote Originally Posted by kitebunny View Post
    My view: NO, they're convicted criminals!! They do not pass go, they do not collect £200, they go to jail and no they damn well should NOT be given the right to vote while they're in there. If the judicial system has decided they don't deserve a place in society (ie they need locked up) then they shouldn't get to participate in that society or have a say how it's run while they're in prison.
    You break our laws, you accept the consequences.

Next they'll be arguing for their basic human right to freedom :|
    I can't wait for them to argue a criminal's basic right to freedom.

The justice system, as well as everything else is getting worse and worse as everyone worries more and more about causing offence. Getting too soft as a nation. We need a V for Vendetta

Quote Originally Posted by kitycatlok View Post
    Hmm... I'm in two minds as to whether or not this should happen. My first thought is: what about people who are only in for minor crimes and short sentences? They will be out of prison and have to live in the society that they have not voted for, which means that they have not had a say in the society they are now living in.

My second thought is about people who have been wrongly convicted and are innocent are missing out as well. I know they are in the minority but it still seems a litte unfair to me that they miss out on voting when they have done absolutely nothing wrong.

My third thought is that people who break the law remove themselves from society and so should not participate in the running of it in any way, shape or form. Paedophiles and such should not be able to decide how the country is run when they broke the law in such a horrible way and obviously are suffering from some severe mental difficulties and may not be able to make sensible decisions because of it.

So I'm currently undecided about whether it's a good thing or not.
    If I was innocent and in prison, I think voting within the society that wrongly found and judged me guilty would be the last thing on my mind...

What about the victims who can no longer vote, those left dead or incapacitated by the more vicious criminals. I think the voting thing is going to be an all or nothing situation and I don't want someone who would sooner cut my heart out than look at me getting any kind of say in the society that they are no longer allowed to live in.

F%$! their human rights, they should have considered that when they considered breaking the law.

What would do I know...
    I am True.
    I have 2 tattoos; Left thigh, right forearm.

I'm booked for tattoo number 3 in July.

I agree with the above. Prisoners should not have the right to vote, in any circumstances, nor should their 'human' rights be considered if they act like animals and don't care about the rights of the human they have victimised. If they feel that strongly about politics they shouldn't break the law and go to the prison, then they can guarantee their vote is counted.

Quote Originally Posted by TrueGrave View Post
    I don't want someone who would sooner cut my heart out than look at me getting any kind of say in the society that they are no longer allowed to live in.
    Do you honestly believe all prisoners have that mindset? Bit of a sweeping statement...
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x4, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, lip dermal filler
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 86 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Facebook
    UK Jewellery Network

I'm a Criminology student and we recently had a guest lecture by a prison officer and this topic got brought up. Her opinion? It was irrelavant whether they could vote or not. Most people in prisons (sorry to generalise) wouldn't have voted in the first place, because they're usually just not that way inclined. They don't 'understand' politics or the need to vote; a lot of people in prison are barely literate, yet alone politcally active. So, essentially, you give people who had the chance to vote and never did a second chance and... Chances are, they still won't vote.

So, as far as I can tell, it's less of an issue than people think. Yes, I realise that not everyone in prison is illiterate/won't vote, and perhaps it's those few who we should be 'worried' about. Or should we? As someone else mentioned, what about those with short sentences? Or those who are about to be released? Shouldn't they get the chance to affect the society they'll be going back in to? Of course, there's always the argument there of 'no; if they wanted those rights they shouldn't have committed a crime, regardless of length'. For me, a more convincing argument is, well. We, the majority, don't know how prisons run, or what it's like to be in there. Prison Officers get frustrated when legislation is brought in to satisfy the masses, without actually considered the effect it will have on prisoners (I'm not saying they get off worse, I mean it can impinge on their rehabilitation, or their treatment or even just getting them prepared for living in a society where they don't need to keep falling back in to crime). So, surely, the people in those institutions deserve a chance to improve it? I'm not saying they'll vote for an 'easy way', because no politician would offer that. But say a government wants to make cuts, because 'the prisons don't need it', which will then result in several addicts not being treated, then when they're released, go straight back into crime to fuel their habits. Because we, as a populace, might agree that prisons have too much funding, but those inside might see that actually they're already short on cash.

So, perhaps allowing prionsers to vote, will actually help improve the prison system which will, in turn, lower crime rates? I don't know. As I said, chances are, most of them won't vote anyway.
    Piercings
    3x Standard Lobe
    1x 4mm Lobe
    2x Helix
    1x Rook
    2x Navel

1x Nipple
    1x Faux Snug (1x Conch/1x Helix)
    1x Triangle

Tattoos
    Side Piece; 5.5 hours

You break the law of a civilised society (I use the term Very loosely for the uk) you are removed from that society hence prison. Totally, agree with not letting them vote.

My little rant now, why should prisoners get treated better than our armed forces? Bring back corporal and capital punishment itís what most of them deserve and it's a great deterrent.
    Hi, Call me Rob.

Current:
    Nothing.
    Retired: Hafada 3, Tounge, Nipple (Left), Surface (Right Wrist) & Navel x2, PA. Horizontal Nipples 2mm.
    Wish List: Vertical Nipples 2mm, Ampallang.
    Ink: Scorpion left shoulder & dream catcher left arm.

I Like Being Shiny

Quote Originally Posted by Bigspanners View Post
    Bring back corporal and capital punishment it’s what most of them deserve and it's a great deterrent.

Couldn't disagree with you more, it's barbaric and vile and doesn't deter people that much at all tbh. Also would you be happy to kill someone for something a jury assumed they had done then explain to their family that they actually got it wrong?

An eye for an eye makes the whole world go blind.

Actual thread on this topic here if you're interested
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x4, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, lip dermal filler
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 86 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Facebook
    UK Jewellery Network

Quote Originally Posted by redraven View Post

Actual thread on this topic here if you're interested
    Thanks Redraven I've added my 2p
    Hi, Call me Rob.

Current:
    Nothing.
    Retired: Hafada 3, Tounge, Nipple (Left), Surface (Right Wrist) & Navel x2, PA. Horizontal Nipples 2mm.
    Wish List: Vertical Nipples 2mm, Ampallang.
    Ink: Scorpion left shoulder & dream catcher left arm.

I Like Being Shiny

Criminals should not be allowed to vote. If you can't abide by the law, why should you be entitled to that privilege?

I kind of think that criminals might be too out of touch reality / society to be trusted to vote responsibly, what with them basically not being a part of society anymore. This might be a bit controversial but someone suggested to me the other day that older people shouldn't be allowed to either, basically because they are also out of touch with the needs / concerns of workers. Some say the voting age shouldn't be lowered as young people aren't experienced enough and won't vote responsibly, but some of the older people I Know put much less thought into their votes than a lot of teenagers, most can't even tell me anything about any of the policies of who they are voting for, other than 'controlling x will instantly make every problem go away' without any research to back it up... Anyway, I'm still not convinced whether I actually believe this, just tossing some ideas in...

I wouldn't!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast