Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Woman in Ireland Denied Abortion Dies of Septicemia

Unhappy Woman in Ireland Denied Abortion Dies of Septicemia

Hey everyone.

Don't know how many Irish there are on this forum. I am a proud Irish person, or at least I was until I heard about this story last week.

For anyone who doesn't know, an Indian woman and her husband, living in Ireland were denied the right to a medical abortion when it emerged that the woman's life was in danger due to blood poisoning. She arrived at her local hospital to be told she was miscarrying at 17 weeks. However, it later emerged that she had septicemia, and that a medical abortion was likely needed to prevent her life from being in danger, and that the baby would not survive regardless. On hearing this news she repeatedly asked the medical team for an abortion. They replied that they could not, due to Irish law, perform an abortion, even if her life was in jeopardy. She died of septicemia on October 28th and is survived by her husband.

This is incredibly tragic for all involved. It has since emerged that Savita and her husband moved to Ireland from India because they believed that Ireland was a great place to bring up a family.

Ireland is one of the very few countries left in Europe where medical abortion is illegal in all cases. This includes rape, incest, severe fetal abnormalities and genuine fears for the physical and mental well being of the mother. There have even been cases in the past where teens in state care who were raped were not allowed to travel to the UK for an abortion, they were, in fact prohibited by court order to leave the country.

This women is dead, essentially due to a lack of legislation from the Irish Government. The abortion issue has been conveniently side stepped by every government since the last referendum over 15 years ago. I consider myself to be both a proud young Irish woman, but also an ardent feminist. I love my country dearly, however it brings me great shame that this pivotal women's issue is being stubbornly ignored by those at the top. This is not simply an abstract moral issue that can be swept under the carpet, it affects thousands of Irish women every year, and as Ms Halappanavar sadly proved; it can mean the difference between life and death.

As an Irish citizen, I cannot stand idly by as a seemly "Pro-Life" government and health system refuses the right to chose and consequently the right to life of the mother. I cannot stand by as government fail to tackle this issue with the urgency it deserves. The death of Ms Halappanavar, however tragic, should be the wake up call this government needs to legislate accordingly. Another woman must not, and cannot be a victim of legislation. We cannot allow further Irish women to die, the time to legislate is NOW.

What are your thoughts on this case and abortion in general? Finally the abortion issue is getting the airtime it deserves in my country. I can only hope for the sake of all Irish women that this matter will be resolved through legislation.

Please see for more on this case.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/....html?via=rele

Also we need more signatures for a petition (Irish and non-Irish signatures welcome) at http://www.change.org/en-GB/petition...m_medium=email

Thanks guys. Sorry if I have gotten on my soap box, but this issue means a lot to me and we need all the help we can get to raise awareness
    Hi, call me Starry
    Lover of art, music and mods.

Current:
    Left Ear: Stretched lobe @ 4mm, two standard lobes, tragus
    Right Ear: Stretched lobe @ 4mm, one standard lobe, auricle, rook
    Septum

RIP Standard Navel
    Piercings I want: Rook (left side), Horizontal nipple x2, helix, central labret

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars" - Oscar Wilde
    Con el tiempo, todo se consigue

I've literally just read this and was going to post in here. It disgusts me that the anti-choice people are saying people pro-choice people shouldn't be using this poor woman and her situation as an example to promote their beliefs and that the use of abortion to save a woman's life "Isn't best practice" and is "medieval" yet letting a woman slowly meet her death whilst an un-viable foetus dies inside her is totally fine. Sorry but I cannot comprehend those who are anti-choice and how they think the death of this woman is normal and acceptable.

Petition already signed. I hope this never happens again.
    Last edited by Boo; 11-15-2012 at 11:18 PM.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 95 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Thanks Hazel. These events really made me lose faith in my own country, that we could allow the death of an innocent and vibrant young woman in the name of "ethics". It's sickening in it's irony. This simply cannot happen again
    Hi, call me Starry

Current:
    Septum

RIP Standard Navel

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars" - Oscar Wilde

Just saw this posted on a forum board. Yes ladies and gentlemen, this is the crap that we are facing as Pro-Choice campaigners in Ireland *sigh*

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Hi, call me Starry

Current:
    Septum

RIP Standard Navel

And they say not to pro-choicers not to use this womans death for campaigning, but it's ok for them to do it, how typically hypocritical. The sad thing is it doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

I feel so much for Savita's family :(
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 95 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

This pissed me off so much when I read about it. This is what the far Right leaders would have for women in my country too, and heaven knows it's already happening due to the sheer volume of Catholic hospitals here. Don't know why it's so hard for some to realize that religion has absolutely no place in health care.

Also I like how that picture completely makes a mockery of and trivializes a horrible tragedy. "Christian compassion" my ass.
    Have: 2g lobes (11/11/12); L 16g conch (07/27/12); 14g VCH (09/01/12) | Next: stretch ALL the things! (lobes: 1g; VCH: 12g)
    Also Want: 8g septum, outer labia, nipples; too many tattoo ideas for my own good; goal size for lobes = 1/2" - 5/8"
    Is it weird that I love piercing crusties...?

Quote Originally Posted by Sneferie View Post
    religion has absolutely no place in health care.
    100% agreed, what gets me though is that this woman didn't even have anything to do with Catholicism yet it was still imposed upon her and she died in agony for it.
    Saz
    Piercings:

2 sets of lobes at 1.2 and 1 set of 2.4mm on both ears

right ear: + 1 Helix at 1.2mm, Conch

left ear: + 2x Helix and Daith

nose

Planned: Some more ear stuff and hopefully a microdermal or two once I know where I want to put them!

Spikey is my BJS Wife

Don't be dumb, avoid the gun!

Exactly, she was a Hindu as far as I know. And abortion is legal in her home country. Regardless, she died because her right to abortion was denied by the Irish state due to our sheer backwardness. It makes me so angry that this could have happened in my own country.
    Hi, call me Starry

Current:
    Septum

RIP Standard Navel

I'm from Northern Ireland, but I know a thing or two about Irish culture. Catholicism is so engrained in Irish culture it simply is the majority opinion. Ireland is not a secular state, it is Catholic by majority, and the funny thing is, it has little to do with religion or faith. We are brought up to believe abortion is wrong, and the Church teachings are right. Not that all of us believe that, but there is a certain extent of following along with the crowd to not kick up a fuss.

I remember being made watch a pro-life/anti-abortion video in school. I was what, 14, 15? It was called "silent scream", you aren't exactly getting unbiased education around the topics here. Keep in mind that this is a school that also gave virtually no sex education beyond scientific diagrams. And yes, there were a number of teen pregnancies at my school, shocking right?

Luckily I had my own brain at that age and didn't believe abortion was wrong, and could smell the emotional manipulation a mile off. However, I'd say the majority of my class who also watched that video are anti-abortion.

We really need to fix stuff like this, in Catholic schools, to fix this society. Though I'm pretty sure that won't happen any time soon.

Here in Northern Ireland, a controversial private clinic offering terminations opened up recently. Now, this place offers terminations on the same conditions as the NHS here i.e can only be carried out to protect the health or mental health of the mother.

Yet those against it are convinced you can stroll in, slam a fat wad of cash on the table and get as many abortions as you like.

(article for those who might be interested)

This lady died because of a culture, because of the laws we have in this country. That disgusts me.
    Last edited by lauren1987; 11-16-2012 at 12:59 PM.

rook
    conch
    daith
    lobes

Retired snug

Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Felidae View Post
    100% agreed, what gets me though is that this woman didn't even have anything to do with Catholicism yet it was still imposed upon her and she died in agony for it.
    I live just outside Galway; don't see the news that often actually. And I'm pretty sure I was reading about the Abortion Bill or changes or something the other week. Well anti abortion I should say; but I thought the mother was exempt and allowed to get an abortion if her life was at high risk. I do remember reading abortion wouldn't be allowed on the grounds that the "fetus" had defects or was handicapped etc in any way.

And I seriously don't agree with abortion. I wouldn't do it. A baby is a baby and has a soul and has a life the moment the sperm enters the egg. I'm not catholic, and have never been baptized. But, I do believe in the right to choose.

I know a woman that when she was a teenager, not so long ago, had to travel to England to get an abortion; with her mother. She was in a relationship. The pregnancy was an accident. A close friend of mine, back in England, was raped. She kept her baby. I don't believe religion should factor into it, especially not if the mother doesn't agree.

The woman who died wasn't even catholic. The fact "they" denied her was totally wrong. And I know with England there's this huge big deal on teenage pregnancy. I'm British and lived there until 2003 (I'm thirty five), so I know, but at least they have a choice. No one seems to highlight all the teen pregnancies here, but maybe that's because those that are, are mostly already married; so that's okay I guess in their eyes.

For a country with so many immigrants and different cultures, I am truly surprised at how backwards and narrow minded this country remains.
    Last edited by RedBullBabe; 11-16-2012 at 01:46 PM. Reason: Grammar freak!
    ------
    Current: 6xpinna (2mm L&R/2x1.2mm L 2x1.6mm R), 2xauricle (1.6/2mm R), 3rd lobes (2mm), nostril (2mm R), navel (1.6mm), inv. navel (1.6mm), tongue (1.6mm), eyebrow (1.2mm R), 1st lobes (10mm), tragus (1.2mm L), septum (3.5mm).

Future: Eyebrow (L), 1st lobes (1/2"), scaffold (L), nape, nips, nostril (L), outer conch punch (6/8mm), VCH.

Retired: Navel (1.6mm L/R) 8/1/14&2012, Misplaced 2nd lobe (1.2mm R) 10/3/13, 2nd lobes (1.6mm L&R) 11/9/13.

Tattoos: 4.

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast