Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The dreaded bumps :(

Unhappy The dreaded bumps :(

I'm new to the forum but not to tattoos and piercings. I've always had multiple piercings in my earlobes but recently I decided to finally get my helix done. I hadn't been able to before because of a safety issue with my old job.
    So one month ago I got my left ear done, twice, with needles and titanium CBRs. They seemed to have been healing up pretty nicely, and I have been RELIGIOUSLY cleaning them twice a day with warm sea salt soaks, doing my best not to knock them, have not ONCE slept on my left side all month. I have kept my hair clipped/tied back so as not to catch them.
    This week it seems there are bumps, and I can't quite decide what they could be. They're like little pale bubbles that the rings are sticking out of. They're not painful, but they look gross and I want rid of them! :( Any advice?
    (I do have pics but the forum won't allow me to post them)

Get the rings changed to bars and click on the bump thread link in my sig.

And welcome to the forums!
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x6, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 91 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Thanks! I actually can't see your sig, it says I need a min of 10 posts for that. Also this morning they have become considerably red and more inflamed, and actually sore. Given the circumstances do you think it would still be safe to change the jewelry?

Ah sorry, if you look at this forum it's a sticky post right at the top of it.

If you go to a piercer they will be able to change the jewellery over for you.

Good luck!
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x6, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 91 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Thank you so much for answering the noobie Heh heh. I did find that topic quite helpful and I'll probably need to see my GP now, as since last night it looks as though there may be pus in the bumps. At least I know I can argue an alternative treatment when he tells me to just take them out (~cause HELL NO!) I'll see the piercer first though. Thank you again.

Actually another question on the same subject: since my last post the lump on the lower piercing swelled considerably and it started weeping blood, water and a little pus when I bathed it yesterday. It's quite sore so I didn't see the piercer about changing the jewelry just yet - I can't bear the thought of anyone touching my ear right now! It still only hurts when it's being handled (cleaned). My mother - being a mother - was worried and last time she was in the pharmacy she asked the pharmacist about it. The pharmacist suggested I try a dry antiseptic spray...... Should I?

Quote Originally Posted by ThatCatLady View Post
    Actually another question on the same subject: since my last post the lump on the lower piercing swelled considerably and it started weeping blood, water and a little pus when I bathed it yesterday. It's quite sore so I didn't see the piercer about changing the jewelry just yet - I can't bear the thought of anyone touching my ear right now! It still only hurts when it's being handled (cleaned). My mother - being a mother - was worried and last time she was in the pharmacy she asked the pharmacist about it. The pharmacist suggested I try a dry antiseptic spray...... Should I?
    What did the pus look like? I doubt it's infected as infection is pretty uncommon in piercings. I'd honestly skip the antiseptic spray and stick to doing sea salt soaks. It's more natural and you're less likely to have any adverse reactions if you're doing it correctly. When my helix was pierced, it was done with a ring too (at that time I didn't know any better) and I got something similar and had a bump on more than one occasion. I just kept doing SSS and it eventually went away with no problems. That's not to say it'll work for everyone, but a combination of what Hazel said about changing the jewelry to a bar and keeping up with the SSS could definitely help. I wouldn't waste my money on an antiseptic spray personally.

It was only a very pale yellow, and only a small amount. I have to wonder why it's even there because I don't think I've done anything to warrant an infection setting in either. I will get the jewelry switched as soon as I get some titanium bars, they're the safest option for me as I have no reaction at all to them. Thank you!

If it was just a really pale yellow, it was most likely just excess lymph drainage. Nothing to worry about there. If it gets green/brown and smells bad, definitely get checked out by a doctor, but it doesn't sound like an infection. Probably just a bit irritated, which can happen easily with a ring.

Yeah I think so! I just cleaned it before and more of the same stuff came out, I think maybe the lump ruptured at some point but I'm guessing it's good (better out than in?!?) and will help the bump go down. My titanium bars are on their way I like the kitty in your avatar by the way - cute!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast