Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why can't tapers be used as jewelry?/Prolonged stretching

Question Why can't tapers be used as jewelry?/Prolonged stretching

Why can't tapers be used as jewelry/I thought they were meant to stay in your ears for a few days while you stretch them?

When I stretched my ears from 18g/16g to 10g, I went one size at a time, but even then, I could not get the tapers to go all the way through in one sitting like I've been hearing around here. The 14g tapers alone took at least 3-5 days before I could make it to the widest end and then get 14g jewelry in. The 12g was easier and the 10g somehow easiest.

I've never been able to stretch without pain, even when I first stretched my ear 5 years ago, going from 18g to 16g hurt like a b**** and then several months later when I know they would have been healed, they hurt AGAIN really badly going to a 14.

Am I missing something here????

The idea that you should keep tapers in for a few days and slowly stretching up seems to be one that's passed around a lot as advice - so I can see why you'd think that - but if you have to wear a taper for several days it's a sign that your ear isn't really ready to be stretched. Personally, I have really unstretchy ears and when I started to get over 10g I was waiting up to 3 months for my next stretch so it may be that you're the same :( Do you stretch with lots of lubrication and after a shower? I find that helps.

Also (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong) I believe that keeping a taper in for a long period of time means that your ears can stretch unevenly as the taper is not all the same diameter so you're putting different pressure on the front of the stretch to the back.

In terms of wearing them as jewellery I know that some people are dead against it but I wouldn't see the problem in wearing it for a night out, changing it to normal jewellery once you get home.

If it hurts then your ear is just not ready to go to the next size. Tapers should be in your ears for no longer than a few seconds, passing through in one swift movement followed by the plug/tunnel. Have you ever tried doing daily oil massages? They can help to improve the blood circulation and elasticity of the lobe. Some people (like me) just can't get along with tapers and have to stretch using other methods, e.g. taping.

Tapers shouldn't be worn as jewellery as they will create uneven pressure points and possibly cause thinning of the lobe.
    I'm Sam Come & say hi!
    Twitter Facebook

Nipple Cross. Tongue. Conch. Nostrils. 10mm Lobes. Nipple.

Read the stretching guide and educate yourself a bit more, it may well answer all your questions.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 95 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

I'd never used a lubricant before. I didn't know you needed one til a few days ago <__< (Thanks BJS :P)
    Besides water based lubricant, is there anything else that's acceptable?

Poodlewash - The first time I stretched, I had waited at least 2 months after going to a 16g before trying a 14g. I hope I don't just have unstretchy ears too. X__X

Thanks for the link to the guide as well! I must have missed it while wandering the forums. :P

Quote Originally Posted by MissMinka View Post
    I'd never used a lubricant before. I didn't know you needed one til a few days ago <__< (Thanks BJS :P)
    Besides water based lubricant, is there anything else that's acceptable?

p.s. the first time I stretched, I had waited at least 2 months after going to a 16g before trying a 14g. I hope I don't just have unstretchy ears. X__X
    Loads. Oils, holey butt'r, shea butter, moisturiser. Have you started doing massages regularly? Most people notice they help a lot. Two months isn't a particularly long time, but if you struggle at a later date you can always look more into taping (no way would I recommend that at 14g though :P).
    Current: Double nostrils, philtrum, nipple. Various cartilage, 9/16'' lobes.
    Retired: Nipple, navel x4, wrist, nape, MD, tongue web x2, lower lip piercings x4, nostril, helix, lobe piercings, septum, cheek piercings.
    4 tattoos.

What is my life for and what am I going to do with it? I don't know and I'm afraid. I can never read all the books I want; I can never be all the people I want and live all the lives I want.
    Facebook

So I've heard that if you are not stretching your lobes and they are at the same size as the taper (say a 14g) then it is fine to wear the taper as a piece of jewelry for a few hours. Myth or truth?
    Hi, I'm Megan.
    current:
    1st and 2nd lobes, both sides
    double helix,daith left
    tragus, conch, right
    nostril, right

10g septum
    standard navel
    VCH
    Christina
    tattoos:
    lily on left rib, needs a quote to finish

future possibles:
    industrial,
    double outer labia
    philtrum,
    second nostril
    retired:
    horizontal nipples both

Quote Originally Posted by IzzyMeadows View Post
    So I've heard that if you are not stretching your lobes and they are at the same size as the taper (say a 14g) then it is fine to wear the taper as a piece of jewelry for a few hours. Myth or truth?
    That wouldn't be causing any stretching damage at least. It wouldn't be recommended because tapers can catch on things, and rip/tear etc. They're fine to wear as jewellery, just not exactly practical.
    Current: Double nostrils, philtrum, nipple. Various cartilage, 9/16'' lobes.
    Retired: Nipple, navel x4, wrist, nape, MD, tongue web x2, lower lip piercings x4, nostril, helix, lobe piercings, septum, cheek piercings.
    4 tattoos.

What is my life for and what am I going to do with it? I don't know and I'm afraid. I can never read all the books I want; I can never be all the people I want and live all the lives I want.
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by IzzyMeadows View Post
    Truth Don't sleep in them though XD

I have attempted to wear tapers on nights out in the past, but I hated they way they sat in my lobes. Even at small sizes, the uneven weight twisted my lobes.
    Crescents, spirals or hangies all sit better because the weight is more evenly distributed.
    what's a few seconds of pain for a lifetime of shiny?

Both lobes 1/2", 5mm, 1.6mm
    Left rook & 5mm helix punch
    Right helix x2 & forward helix
    VCH, 5mm tongue

Quote Originally Posted by soph_17 View Post
    Loads. Oils, holey butt'r, shea butter, moisturiser. Have you started doing massages regularly? Most people notice they help a lot. Two months isn't a particularly long time, but if you struggle at a later date you can always look more into taping (no way would I recommend that at 14g though :P).
    Did you mean honey butter? Or is holey butt'r a brand?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast