Thread: Considering getting a vertical labret....?

Lightbulb Considering getting a vertical labret....?

I am very strongly considering getting a vertical labret within approximately two weeks.

Although, like any piercing, I am very curious upon all possible problems that people encounter.

First of all I have to wonder, will it be more prone to infection being closer to the mouth? My body mildly reacts to metal, but as long as I constantly clean all my piercings they seem to stay happy. That is also on my stomach/hips though, so if these are touchy enough I really need to know how prone it might be when it's closer to the mouth.

Secondly, what about kissing? Will I have to go months without kissing my boyfriend? And if I do kiss him will it heighten the risk of infection?

Thirdly, does it leave a large scar? If it needs to be taken out will it leave a scar like one of an eyebrow?

Fourthly, does it catch on to food while you eat? Or hit the glass while you drink? Furthermore, could it catch enough to cause it to become "angry"?

And lastly, is there any other risks I have not mentioned that may be present within getting this specific piercing? Any input would be amazing!!
    -Thanks!

I don't have specific answers but if you've reacted to metals before you probably have a nickel allergy, so you should wear titanium, glass, or biocompatible plastics in your piercings avoid steel, and silver & gold, and "cheap" jewellery of unknown materials.
    what's a few seconds of pain for a lifetime of shiny?

Both lobes 1/2", 5mm, 1.6mm
    Left rook & 5mm helix punch
    Right helix x2 & forward helix
    VCH, 5mm tongue

I don't have any lip piercings, but I can give you some thoughts based on basic knowledge.

First, the mouth does have a lot of bacteria, but if the piercing is kept clean, it shouldn't cause any problems. Just practice good oral hygiene and you'll be good to go. As Anne has already suggested, you should go for high quality biocompatible materials such as the ones she's already suggested.
    Second, I'd say just keep it gentle for a time while the piercing is initially healing. Listen to your body and what it's telling you. If it gets sore after a heavy kissing session, go gentle for a while. Kissing him shouldn't increase the risk of infection unless he has an infection himself, which is doubtful.
    Third, this would depend entirely on your body and how it forms scar tissue. Some people scar more heavily than others. However, I'd just say keep an eye on it. If it migrates, it could leave a bigger scar, but otherwise it should be fairly small if you get any scarring at all.
    Fourth, these are possibilities, especially during the initial healing period when you're still getting used to it. Just be conscious of the fact that you have a new piercing healing on your face and be careful. It could become angry if it catches, just like any other piercing. If it does, just baby it for a while and keep up the good hygiene.
    And lastly, I'd say the only other thing you'd want to be aware of is potential damage to teeth and gums. Be aware of the proper size and shape for your jewelry to properly fit the piercing location. Ill-fitting jewelry could cause tooth chipping and/or gum recession. Talk to your piercer about proper size and type of jewelry. If they're any good, they can help you choose.

First of all I have to wonder, will it be more prone to infection being closer to the mouth? Not really no, maintain good oral hygiene and it will be fine.

My body mildly reacts to metal- Which metal?

but as long as I constantly clean all my piercings they seem to stay happy. You never have to constantly clean anything just clean it when you clean yourself.

That is also on my stomach/hips though, so if these are touchy enough I really need to know how prone it might be when it's closer to the mouth. Depends on the metal and no one can guess what your healing will be like.

Secondly, what about kissing? Will I have to go months without kissing my boyfriend? No, just be careful when you do it and if it hurts, stop.

And if I do kiss him will it heighten the risk of infection? No.

Thirdly, does it leave a large scar? you may be left with a small scar below the lipline and the one on the lip will probably be unnoticeable, again it's impossible to know how your body will react to it.

If it needs to be taken out will it leave a scar like one of an eyebrow? See above, no one can predict it, some people don't even scar from eyebrow piercings.

Fourthly, does it catch on to food while you eat? Or hit the glass while you drink? Most people find eating a bit odd as the mind may think the ball on the lip is food, many comment on it clinking against a glass/cup but again it's something you will get used to.

Furthermore, could it catch enough to cause it to become "angry"? All piercings have that potential tbh.

And lastly, is there any other risks I have not mentioned that may be present within getting this specific piercing? They can grow out so take a photo once it's healed so you can tell if it's starting to migrate any.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 91 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Thanks so much

First of all I have to wonder, will it be more prone to infection being closer to the mouth? Not really. Just keep it clean

Secondly, what about kissing? Will I have to go months without kissing my boyfriend? And if I do kiss him will it heighten the risk of infection? No, you don't. I have one, and for a couple days I avoided major making out, but quick smootches where fine. And again, just keep it clean.

Thirdly, does it leave a large scar? If it needs to be taken out will it leave a scar like one of an eyebrow? That I don't know. Depends on your body.

Fourthly, does it catch on to food while you eat? Or hit the glass while you drink? Furthermore, could it catch enough to cause it to become "angry"? Ummm, sandwiches are harder to eat, and just becareful when you drink. Grease and salt can make it feel a little angry, but just clean it out. I haven't had any problems (knock on wood) with catching it.

And lastly, is there any other risks I have not mentioned that may be present within getting this specific piercing? Any input would be amazing!!
    Not that I can think of, but it does have some perks once it's healed.

Current piercings--14
    Retired--14
    Tattoos--2