Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Septum.

Red face Septum.

I've been umming and ahhing about getting my Septum pierced for quite a while now, as you may know from seeing my other posts, because I've been worried about whether it would suit me as I have a fairly round face. I guess a Septum just seemed like a bigger commitment than my other piercings as it's right in the centre of my face, and because it gets such mixed reactions from people. You either love them or hate them.

Anyway, I finally decided to go for it. After all, it's not the end of the world if I decided that I hated it.

So, last week I'd been along to Tribal Bodies (aka. Kathmandu) in Hull, but was told that they currently didn't have the jewellery in stock and to go back last weekend. I had a busy week and I wanted to make doubly sure that I didn't have another wasted journey, so I didn't pop in until Monday.

When I went in the piercer was just taking another girl in for a Helix or something, so I had a bit of a chat with the girl working there and had a little look around at the huge range of jewellery they stock. As he finished up with the Helix another girl popped in concerned that she was allergic to the jewellery used in her nose piercing, and he was really happy to give her advice and offered to change the jewellery for her if she wanted to come back and gave her a free little bag of rock salt even though she was pierced somewhere else

So, it was my turn. He got me sat down and we had a little chat about the jewellery we were going to use. I said I wanted something that I could flip up as I had a job interview the next day (and also I wanted some time to get used to it before I started showing others), but he suggested that he custom bend a bar into a curved shape for me (similar to the shape of a bananabell) because it wouldn't have to be moved around and flipped up and down as much, so it would heal a little easier. That seemed like it made sense, so that was fine with me.
    He also asked me about which gauge I'd been thinking, as he liked to use 1.2mm for "a lady's nose" as it was a little more feminine. I'd been thinking 1.2mm too, as I wanted something pretty small and delicate, so I was really happy that we were on the same page size-wise.

He gave me some little cotton bud like things to clean the inside of my nose, and I got a bit of a shock from the alcohol/chemical smell when I made the mistake of trying to breathe through my nose at the same time! He then got me to lie back and had a little look at my nose and tried to find my 'sweet spot'. He told me that I have a lovely nose, but that everyone was different and that my sweet spot was really, really high. I was worried that after all that he was going to tell me that he couldn't do it, but he suggested that he would try and pierce it a little lower than my sweet spot if that was okay with me. He marked up where he wanted to do it and got me to check that it was alright. It looked fine, so we went ahead.

As he was getting my septum clamped I could feel his hands shaking, and he later explained that after all his years of piercing doing septums is the one thing that still makes him a little nervous. He told me that when I'd previously been in that they probably had the jewellery in stock, but the other piercer was also a little nervous about septums and they sometimes had to do a few other piercings in the day to feel 'ready' to do a septum piercing

I didn't feel nervous myself until I saw the needle out of the corner of my eye, and all of a sudden I had a "do I really want to do this?" moment. But I made myself stick it out, and he told me to take a breath in, then to exhale...and it was all done.
    The pain was very, very brief and was more of a nipping kind of sensation than anything. My eyes watered quite a bit, but it wasn't anywhere near as bad as I'd been expecting and didn't seem like it hurt any more than it would have done if it had been through my sweet spot. It didn't bleed at all, not even a little smudge, and he told me a little about the different skin types and why some people did, or didn't bleed, from piercings.

I got to have a look in the mirror and I was so, so glad that he'd suggested that I have the curved bar instead of a horseshoe ring. It just really subtly peeked out of my nose and looked amazing. To me anyway

He knew from us chatting that I've had a fair few other piercings, but he still talked me through the healing process and how to mix up a SSS. I was given my free little baggy of rock salt and he told me that I'd been the perfect customer, which is always nice to hear.

It cost me 30, which is actually 10 cheaper than I'd been expecting, and he offered to change the jewellery to a ring for me once everything's all healed. But, honestly, atm I'm thinking that I might end up sticking to the curved bars.
    He told me to pop in straight away if I felt like there was a problem and to even just pop in for a chat and a little check up next time I'm in town, which was really kind

He'd talked me all the way through the piercing, from the jewellery choice to showing me him opening the new needle and to what to expect during healing. All the staff were really chatty and friendly, and I'll definitely be back for future piercings. Overall, I'm really happy with my experience, and I absolutely love my new septum piercing!

Last edited by allstarleigh; 10-14-2012 at 02:18 PM.
    Current: tongue, navel, 18mm lobes, right tragus, Monroe, septum

Retired: nose, Christina piercing, diagonal navel piercings

Want: VCH

romanticwithouthope.tumblr.com

Looks awesome!

And the stuff they clean your nose with is really awful. The guy who did mine literally told me to breathe through my mouth for the whole procedure, or I'd regret it.

Congrats.
    Current
    1g lobes | 14g L helix | 16g R tragus | 16g L daith |14g R conch |14g septum|14g diagonal nipples

Retired
    14g navel | 16g tongue web

Want
    R rook | more tattoos!

Tattoos
    Punctuation marks behind my ears
    | Artemis-themed thigh piece

Thank you

Haha, he warned me that it was a bit strong, but I thought he might be exaggerating just to be on the safe side. Turned out he was not exaggerating

I could smell alcohol for the rest of the day, urgh.

I really like that jewelry on you! It looks great. Haha yes the alcohol! I thought I would faint when I had mine done and breathed in. They really weren't joking when they said to breathe from the mouth! Has anyone noticed you have it pierced, yet? If so, how have their reactions been?
    Have: Septum, 16g lobes R: anti-tragus, rook L: helix, daith, tragus, inner conch
    Stretching my lobes to 0g!
    Want: Nipples, R snug and vertical tragus
    Retired: L&R second and third lobes

Thank you very much

If anyone's noticed it then they haven't commented on it. The only person I've spoken to about it is my mum, 'cause she's always really hated them, but she just pretty much said, "Well, it's your body."

I suspect if I ever change it to a ring then people might have more to say about it though.

Yeah, I was forwarned too that I might be a little high if I tried to breathe through my nose, lol. But it was totally worth it It looks great on you!

Current piercings--14
    Retired--14
    Tattoos--2

I knew it would suit you! It looks awesome and I'm so glad you got it done Happy healing! <3
    Hi, I'm Kerry
    Facebook / Tumblr

Current:
    Left ear: L
    obe (5mm), rook, anti-tragus,
    Right ear: Lobe (12mm), tragus, forward helix, conch
    Septum

Right horizontal nipple

Navel
    Right nostril

Retired:
    Inverse Navel
    Left tragus

Cheers guys

I've realised how rough and knackered I look in that photo, so I'll try and take another one a bit later

I love it with that jewellery in. I think when mine is fully healed I might see if I can get some internally threaded curved bars to put in mine

Also, you have a lovely shaped eyebrow!
    Sarah

"Do not go gentle into the good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

Thank you very much I dislike my eyebrows atm as they don't match the colour of my hair, haha :/

I'm really happy that my piercer convinced me that this jewellery was the right way to go; I think it suits me a lot more than a ring would have.

Only problem I'm having with it atm is that last week I noticed a little bump above one side of the piercing. I assumed it was just 'the bump' as I had a bump when I got my Tragus pierced, so I started doing Camomile compresses as well as my SSS. However, when I had a closer look yesterday it looks almost like a blood blister. It's soft like it's full of liquid and it looks quite dark. Not sure how to tackle that, haha :/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast