Thread: Signs of infection?

Default Signs of infection?

Hi everyone!
    I got both nipples pierced last week, everything was going perfect (no pain, no crusties, etc) till today.
    One of my piercings is a bit sore, but rather than where the bar goes through, it's behind it, and feels bruised rather than stingy (a bit like "I'm about to get my period" boob-ache, ladies. I know it can't be this because I'm on the pill.).
    I clean them following the directions of my piercer, Sea-Salt in boiling water once a day, and they seemed fine till today.
    ANYWAY my main question is:
    Is it possible to get an infection without it 'leaking' anything? And does this sound like infection to you?

Sorry for my incoherent essay
    current:
    third eye microdermal
    septum (1.6)
    nipples x2 (1.6)
    right nostril (1.0)
    lobes (7mm)
    industrial
    labret
    9 tattoos

i want:
    daith
    christina

retired:
    philtrum
    navel x2
    hip surface
    left nostril

Doesn't sound like an infection, your piercings are pretty much brand new so it might be sore for a few weeks yet - I know mine was, and I remember the pain that you describe very well!

Signs of infection are excessive swelling/pain/heat and smelly green/brown pus.
    I'm Sam Come & say hi!
    Twitter Facebook

Nipple Cross. Tongue. Conch. Nostrils. 10mm Lobes. Nipple.

They're still quite new piercings, bear that in mind. Mine felt that for a few weeks, but I could never be sure if I lay on my front whilst I slept which is what caused mine in the long run. Just keep babying them, make sure you dry them properly after you've cleaned them too. Nipple piercings can take 18+ months to heal, so be patient
    Hi, I'm Philly

Current;

L industrial | L rook | L conch | R tragus | R helix | R daith | 4 x standard lobe | 2 x 6mm lobe | L nostril | Septum |

Retired;
    L nipple | Navel |

Find me;
    Blog| Instagram

Ahh ok thankyou both :3 My mind was on overdrive for a minute there!
    current:
    third eye microdermal
    septum (1.6)
    nipples x2 (1.6)
    right nostril (1.0)
    lobes (7mm)
    industrial
    labret
    9 tattoos

i want:
    daith
    christina

retired:
    philtrum
    navel x2
    hip surface
    left nostril

Whilst it's possible it would be rare and as mentioned they're young and that kind of pain is likely. Do you have rings or bars in them and how much salt are you using in your soaks? Are you rinsing them with plain water afterwards?
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 95 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

I have titanium bars in them, and I'm using 1/2 a tsp to half a pint of water, which is what my piercer told me to use.
    Nope I'm not.. didn't know I was supposed to to be honest!!
    current:
    third eye microdermal
    septum (1.6)
    nipples x2 (1.6)
    right nostril (1.0)
    lobes (7mm)
    industrial
    labret
    9 tattoos

i want:
    daith
    christina

retired:
    philtrum
    navel x2
    hip surface
    left nostril

Quote Originally Posted by mimiNOIR. View Post
    I have titanium bars in them, and I'm using 1/2 a tsp to half a pint of water, which is what my piercer told me to use.
    Nope I'm not.. didn't know I was supposed to to be honest!!
    Bit too much salt and yes rinsing them removes any salt residue which could be causing them to sting a bit. Soak them in 1/4tsp sea salt to 250ml water 1-2 times a day for 5 mins and rinse afterwards. Or just rinse them in the shower.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 95 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

My tragus got infected after a week and I cleaned it exactly like they told me, but that may have been just me.

It might just be tender since its new

Cardinal signs of a local infection are: Erythema (redness) in the surrounding tissue, swelling (afer 48 hour sinceit's pierced, otherwise it's just the early inflammatory response of wound healing), skin that is warm to the touch, a systemic fever (again, after 48 hours since it was pierced), and excessive exudate, exudate with a strong, offensiveodour, or exudate that is any colour except that of pale straw.

In your case I suspect you've either knocked it or slept on it. Doesn't sound infected to me.