Thread: Lobe Piercing Will Not Heal D:

Default Lobe Piercing Will Not Heal D:

Background Info
    So, I have a pretty bad history with piercings. Or rather, I live in a small town and have to drive about 1 hour to even find a piercing shop, and the shop I did find was apparently staffed by somebody who wasn't as intelligent and experienced with piercings as he should've been.

My first foray into piercings was at the age of 16 in a Wal-Mart. The piercer dotted the areas, then misfired the gun so that the hole ended up in the wrong place on one lobe. I ended up taking them out and letting them close, figuring I'd forget about piercings. Then, last year, I decided I wanted to do something for myself that I'd wanted for ages, and I went to go get a cartilage piercing. Actually, I had two done. They were really close together, pierced at 14g. I've since figured out that you're not supposed to put two fresh piercings that close together. I didn't know that then. It failed. 3 months of constant oozing and pain later, they became so badly infected that I went to a doctor and had them taken out. I later found out that they weren't even titanium, and I have a known nickel allergy, so I'm guessing that's a lot of why they were fussy the entire time and eventually just became hardcore infected.

Fast forward a bit: I decided I wanted to try again, and that I'd do it differently this time.

TLDR Version
    I got my earlobes pierced at 14g on February 2nd of this year. I also got one hole put in the cartilage of my left ear. I have 14g Titanium CBRs in all of the holes. Because I cannot sleep on a cartilage piercing without it hurting and really fucking with it, I decided I'd sleep on my right side. I figured it'd be a bit of a hindrance to that earlobe healing, but in actuality, it's been the exact opposite. Within a month, my right earlobe was fine. The left one was lagging behind, but I thought it'd be okay. After two months, I asked how I would be able to tell it was fully healed and ready for a jewelry swap, and an experienced friend said that when it was toughened enough that I could tug on it gently with no pain, I'd know it was definitely healed and safe.

Well, it's been 8 months, and my left earlobe just keeps on doing this cycle where sometimes it's almost okay, and then it becomes painful, puffy, and oozes pus for 2-7 days before going back to mostly okay again. A bump has developed on the top of the piercing on the front of my ear. This happened about 3 months ago. I honestly thought it was a pimple that I got on my ear (when I was a teen, that used to happen sometimes), so I tried to pop it. It was extremely painful, and it didn't work. It just keeps coming back. It hurts, and it looks gross, and I want it to go away.

I'm not sure what's wrong. I soak it nightly (even though I stopped soaking the right ear after 4 weeks) because it's kind of mandatory, what with my cartilage piercing still being in that ear and needing cleaning. I never touch it, never play with it, and have tried a lot of different things. The worst idea BY FAR was tea tree oil. Turns out I'm allergic to that and it made my ear swell and become covered in an itchy red rash :|. Not a fun week.

The only thing I can think it might be, because of the position of the bump and because the lower part of the hole is hardly ever sensitive but the upper part is, is that the weight of the CBR tilting back when I sleep is too much for it, and that's why it isn't healing. By that logic, the right one healed better because it was always pressed against my head when I slept, so the CBR couldn't tilt back. It seems silly that it could be something so small, but I'm considering getting a stud and swapping it out. I just don't know what length to get. No stud earrings really come in 14g =/. I'd have to get a barbell or labret post or something.

What do you guys think? I'm frustrated with this. Earlobes aren't supposed to take 8 months to heal D<. I seem to just be a bad candidate for piercings overall lol.

Edited To Add:

Pics!

This is my first go at the cartilage, right before the entire ear became very badly infected and I had them removed:

This was when I got it redone on February 2, 2012.

This is the Tea Tree Oil allergic reaction :(.

This is the current dilemma. Note the bump:

Last edited by Xade; 10-03-2012 at 06:01 AM. Reason: Hit 20 Posts -- Added Pics!

Go to a piercer and get them to fit you with more appropriate, sterile and biocompatible jewellery. Chances are the BCR has constantly irritated your piercing, if you can't see a piercer get a few labrets in different lengths, think I have had 8mm in mine before but we're all different.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 95 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

I wear barbells in my lobe piercings which you may find easier to clean. If you have to order yourself then may I suggest ptfe or bioplast which you can cut down if you find it too long and may save you a bit of money on buying different sizes.

Bioplast - https://www.bodyjewelleryshop.com/on...be-1-6mm39.cfm
    Bioplast labret - https://www.bodyjewelleryshop.com/on...mm_9084784.cfm
    PTFE - https://www.bodyjewelleryshop.com/on...em_4114315.cfm

My main problem with piercings is thinking about them too much and getting waaaay to conscious of how they are doing every day. Ritual cleaning and soaking just doesn't work for me. If all else fails, prehaps just try the LITHA method?

I've started to wear barbells in my lobes too as I found the butterfly backs to standard studs were always digging in my head when I laid down >:(
    Also I like being able to match the titanium colours in all my jewellery.

I tried some labrets I had first and found it really really hard, almost impossible to insert them from the back. So from personal experience I would recommend barbells over labrets.

I ordered 8mm length ones, but actually I could probably get away with 6mm as I have some room spare at the back. I'd say 8mm is a safe bet though!
    Hai, I'm Nox!!

Current; L&R Firsts @ 1.6mm, L&R Seconds @ 1.2mm L&R Low Auricles, R Tragus, R Nostril, L Rook
    Researching & Planning; R Daith, R Faux Rook, L Nostril, L Inner Conch,
    L Side Labret, L&R 5mm firsts
    Retired; Central Labret, 4 Standard Lobes, Naval, 4mm Seconds

I'm betting that cartilege is warm to the touch. It has every other sign of infection - Erythema, swelling, discharge - So I'd be amazed if it doesn't have that too. That right there is a bacterial infection. Jewellery out, sterile syringe full of warm, sterile saline, rinse that thing through A LOT, then antibiotic cream and let it heal. Don't put jewellery back in it. Trust me on this, maxilofacial infections can spread fast, and you do not want an encephilitis. That would be bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Custador View Post
    I'm betting that cartilege is warm to the touch. It has every other sign of infection - Erythema, swelling, discharge - So I'd be amazed if it doesn't have that too. That right there is a bacterial infection. Jewellery out, sterile syringe full of warm, sterile saline, rinse that thing through A LOT, then antibiotic cream and let it heal. Don't put jewellery back in it. Trust me on this, maxilofacial infections can spread fast, and you do not want an encephilitis. That would be bad.
    The picture of the infected cartilage shows the ones that have already been removed and the infection cleared up. The picture of the current ear looks fine to me other than the bump. No evidence of infection there as far as I can tell, just a typical bump. =)

I have to agree with everyone else saying to switch to a labret or a barbell. Some people can heal fine with CBRs (my cartilage had one as the initial jewelry and I never had any problems but I know that isn't typical) but they're really not the best choice for healing piercings. They move around far too much and can easily drag dried lymph and bacteria back into the piercing. Switching it out for something that moves around less could definitely help, but it would be a good idea to have a professional piercer take a look. They could give you more specific instructions and help you get fitted with some proper jewelry.