Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is a nipple piercing a TERRIBLE idea for me?

Default Is a nipple piercing a TERRIBLE idea for me?

Like the title says, is getting my nipple pierced only going to end in disaster? I'll give you a quick idea of why it may not be a good idea, and why I'm having such a hard time deciding even though I really want one done.

The two big reasons...

1. I work with animals... specifically, I groom dogs. I've got 5 piercings in my ears, a stretched lobe (0G), a septum and navel piercing. All but the last have retainers put in them for work after a dog hooked its claw on my tunnel (thank GOD not through it, just on the O-ring at the back... seriously, still shaken from that near miss because of my own stupidity, VERY quickly got a silicon plug for work!). I've never had a dog cause me trouble with my navel at work.
    I was wondering, would I be safe if I put a bandage over the fresh piercing for extra protection while I worked?

2. Breast cancer runs in the family. I'm worried that I could get an infection that could just mess me up before I'm even near the age it seems to try and hit the women in my family.

Other than that I've never had any problems with my piercings really. I've never had anything reject or get infected, the worst was the cartilage in my ear took forever to settle down and I ended up getting a bit of a pressure scar behind the piercing, just popped a longer labret in and it was fine (was originally pierced with a ring).

I'm 20, female, have decent sized breasts and really want just a single nipple pierced horizontally with a bar (because a ring would definitely spell disaster). I was going to get my eyebrow done but it would clash with my glasses lol and - again - fear of dogs tearing it out.

So yeah, what are your opinions? Am I safe, do you have any advice to keep me safe?
    Also, what are the chances of infection and rejection/migration? (This really freaks me out)
    And as always, what kind of pain can I expect?

Thanks!

PS. Long first post, I came here specifically to ask this question. I plan on popping into a piercing studio I trust to ask more questions in person but I wanted to start here to get more variety of answers and opnions.

If you're female just make sure to wear a moulded/padded bra, the piercing has no links to breast cancer whatsoever nor do infections.

Infection in piercings are rare and only get bad if people do not look after (ie clean) their piercings when they clean themselves or they ignore a raging infection. Rejection/migration is also pretty rare in a well done nipple piercing.

If it wasn't safe people wouldn't get it done
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x6, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 91 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Unless you work topless, you'll be fine Especially if you've had no major issues with big stretched ears and multiple ear piercings.

Edit: Pain-wise, as always everyone's different, but most people from what I've seen and read said that it was one of their more painful piercings.

Slightly off-topic but I don't necessarily think an eyebrow piercing would "clash" with glasses At least I hope not, because I intend to have mine done eventually and I wear glasses most of the time. :P Seems like that's another piercing that could be potentially problematic with your work though since it's easy to piss them off and start it rejecting.
    Have: 2g lobes (11/11/12); L 16g conch (07/27/12); 14g VCH (09/01/12) | Next: stretch ALL the things! (lobes: 1g; VCH: 12g)
    Also Want: 8g septum, outer labia, nipples; too many tattoo ideas for my own good; goal size for lobes = 1/2" - 5/8"
    Is it weird that I love piercing crusties...?

Thanks for the opinions and advice, I feel a bit better about it and I think I might go for it sooner rather than later. I've also been meaning to get some tattoos for quite some time but haven't gotten around to it yet, I guess I'll really give my pain tolerance test with this.

@ Sneferie - I guess it depends on the style of glasses. Mine are rather large and black, some people may even say hipster lol. I personally just think an eyebrow piercing wouldn't look good with my glasses. I guess what puts me off it is mostly the fact that I reckon that's the one type of piercing I'd be just clumsy enough to royally mess up, that and I've been punched in the face by a dog before lol... and my GF has had hers done twice and had to remove both after accidents. :P

I don't see the problem at all - I have piercings and have worked with many animals (not just my own!), mostly rodents & reptiles but trust me, when they don't like something their claws fly all over the place! Never had trouble with any of my piercings, if you want it just go for it. As for pain, it's very cliche but it's different for everyone, with my nipple I didn't even feel it.

As for the eyebrow, I wear glasses all the time and had my eyebrow pierced for 9 years, I only took it out recently as it was growing out which is understandable after so long. Again, if you want it, get it!
    I'm Sam Come & say hi!
    Twitter Facebook

Nipple Cross. Tongue. Conch. Nostrils. 10mm Lobes. Nipple.

Thanks
    Yes I've heard a million different answers pain wise from 'it didn't hurt a bit' to 'omg worst thing ever!', since people told me my septum would hurt like hell and I didn't even feel it I think I'll go in nervous and come out surprised.

There's another thing I just thought of actually. I was doing a quick search and found someone saying that their nipple piercing had started to migrate after 4 years of being fine and healed and they said that all of their piercings started to migrate after about 4 years. Is there a higher chance of migration the older the piercing gets? Since I'm only 20 mine are all still under 10 and several only a few years old I don't know how piercings act after quite some time. I would have assumed that the older they were the less chance there was of anything going wrong as long as you cared for them well.

Sounds like it's just down to the way that person's body responds to piercings. Maybe they put cheap jewelry in them, that can set off healed piercings, too. I wouldn't let that discourage you.
    Have: 2g lobes (11/11/12); L 16g conch (07/27/12); 14g VCH (09/01/12) | Next: stretch ALL the things! (lobes: 1g; VCH: 12g)
    Also Want: 8g septum, outer labia, nipples; too many tattoo ideas for my own good; goal size for lobes = 1/2" - 5/8"
    Is it weird that I love piercing crusties...?

Quote Originally Posted by T.L.Squiggle View Post
    Thanks
    Yes I've heard a million different answers pain wise from 'it didn't hurt a bit' to 'omg worst thing ever!', since people told me my septum would hurt like hell and I didn't even feel it I think I'll go in nervous and come out surprised.

There's another thing I just thought of actually. I was doing a quick search and found someone saying that their nipple piercing had started to migrate after 4 years of being fine and healed and they said that all of their piercings started to migrate after about 4 years. Is there a higher chance of migration the older the piercing gets? Since I'm only 20 mine are all still under 10 and several only a few years old I don't know how piercings act after quite some time. I would have assumed that the older they were the less chance there was of anything going wrong as long as you cared for them well.
    Migration is rare if they're well looked after. It sounds to me like that persons body was undergoing a lot of stress or illness if everything was suddenly rejecting.

You can spot migration/rejection and if it ever did happen to you the worst that can happen is you remove the jewellery. Some people ignore the signs/pain/problems and try and hang onto their piercing and that's when you see the worst case scenarios of horrible looking piercings. Look after it and it will be fine.

Also don't go looking at or reading horror stories online or discuss it non mod friendly people, it's your body, your decision and the chances of something going wrong are very small as long as you go to a very competent piercer.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x6, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 91 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

I groom dogs as well, so this is all very good info to know. I always end up with the larger breeds like Newfies and G.Pyrenees, so I was always a little concerned about that when I do get them.
    tumblr// facebook

have;
    10g first + 14g second lobes, right helix,
    left daith, right conch, paired nostrils,
    vertical labret.
    horizontal nipples.
    want;
    industrial, septum, rook,
    third lobe, outer conch.

I can't really answer on the nipple piercings, but I wear glasses and have my eyebrow pierced. My fiancee thinks it's cute.

Current piercings--14
    Retired--14
    Tattoos--2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast