Thread: Septum piercings and sneezing?

Question Septum piercings and sneezing?

I don't have a septum piercing and I doubt I would ever get one, but if I ever did decide to, I'd just like to know this before going in

When I sneeze, I sometimes stop it by pressing up on the region of my septum (science teacher I had ages ago explained how if you hit a nerve in there at the right angle you can stop yourself from sneezing. It works, too, if you do it right in time). Sometimes I don't even try to stop it, but when I cover my nose and mouth I still might push up on the region.
    If you were to have a new septum piercing, would doing something like that hinder/slow healing? Would it hurt? Could it go so far as to cause bleeding of said piercing while new? Does anyone have person experience with this?
    And just in general with sneezing, and any sort of nose piercing, do you guys find it hurts even without touching your nose? I can't imagine that much force going around such a fresh wound feeling so good :/

Thanks! I'm just heinously curious more than anything haha
    Piercings:
    Current: tongue
    Retired: tragus (l), first lobes (if it works out, will get redone. For 4th time)
    To come: 2nd lobes, regular nostril (l) (possibly)

Tattoos:

Current: "Always" deer - right foot
    "Illegitimi non carborundum" Eiffel tower - right arm
    "It goes on" + flying bird silhouettes - left foot

Next in line: Either "Breathe" (left wrist), or "To everything there is a season, and a time for every purpose" (upper left ribcage).
    ~Sarah

Tbh if you need to sneeze you should sneeze, it's your body telling you it needs to expel something that's bothering it! (unless it's allergy based etc)

I think I know the area you mean, I've pinched it before during sneezing fits to try and get myself to stop (this is when it becomes a problem like after 20 sneezes or so!) and if it's where I pinch my nose it's nowhere near a septum piercing so we may well be thinking of different areas.

Have a look at some photos to see where a septum piercing goes and if it would be in the place you would pinch then you'll have your answer. If it clashes then yes it would irritate the piercing and delay healing, possibly create bumps and so on. Any new piercing can bleed if it undergoes excessive trauma.

I've had my septum and nostril done neither hurt if I sneezed, in fact my septum hurt once right after I had it done and was eating a sandwich, it's never hurt since. My nostril ached for a few days and has also never hurt since.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 95 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

When I had my septum, I didn't touch it for a couple weeks other than cleaning during the healing period, but I backhanded my face by accident once and when I hit my fresh septum piercing, it was pain city. So I would imagine doing something like what you described would hurt, and if your hands were dirty, it would pose a risk for infection as well.

PS touching the tip of your tongue when you're about to sneeze stops it too
    Last edited by scatterbrayne; 09-08-2012 at 02:00 AM.

Eh, I doubt it would hurt that bad, if at all. *tries it* It hurts a little when I do it, and I've had mine for about 3 months now. I agree with redraven 100%, though. If you have to sneeze, just sneeze. lol

Quote Originally Posted by scatterbrayne View Post
    PS touching the tip of your tongue when you're about to sneeze stops it too
    id be scared to death to try that technique! if it doesn't work you just bit your tongue!
    Hi, I'm Megan.
    current:
    1st and 2nd lobes, both sides
    double helix,daith left
    tragus, conch, right
    nostril, right

10g septum
    standard navel
    VCH
    Christina
    tattoos:
    lily on left rib, needs a quote to finish

future possibles:
    industrial,
    double outer labia
    philtrum,
    second nostril
    retired:
    horizontal nipples both

I just had my septum pierced a few days ago, and sneezing hasn't been a problem at all.

If your septum is pierced far enough forward you should be able to pinch your nose behind it, but doing it in a rush to stop a sneeze with a fresh piercing could have painful results. I've had my septum pierced I think over a year now and have never had any problems with it, I can pretty much treat it like normal.

I thing that you will not have any problems

haha i've always wanted a septum and always wondered if i had it flipped up so it was hidden, and sneezed really hard, would it come back down? i wonder because if i was ever in front of my parents and this happened, they'd definitely be freaked out. i imagine my reaction would be something like, " oh woops sorry yeah that's a booger, just gonna stuff it back up in my nose." lol

Quote Originally Posted by kittenkat View Post
    haha i've always wanted a septum and always wondered if i had it flipped up so it was hidden, and sneezed really hard, would it come back down?
    Very unlikely
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 95 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<