Thread: Ball trouble!

Default Ball trouble!

Been experimenting with some barbells I got pierced with a while back to use in my lobes as the tiny balls look so cute, but I'm having trouble actually handling the balls. My hands get warm and I keep dropping them (this is without getting the bar into my ear!) and I'm worried about losing them. Can anybody who regularly uses tiny screw fit balls offer advice? I used to try gloves (like what you dye hair with) to give me more friction, but it didn't work as they fitted too poorly... I was thinking maybe talc. Would work? But we don't have any in at the moment. Anyway I'll stop rambling and hope somebody takes pity on me soon!
    Hannah; 21

2 unstretched lobes,
    Right scaffold,
    Left triple helix,
    Navel
    Tattoo, right ribcage-
    memento mori, memento vivere

Be who you are, and say what you feel because those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter

A plate of quite peculiar on a dish all of my own

Proper fitting latex gloves will help (not the flimsy big ones you get with box dyes). Best thing to do is know it's fiddly and have patience, sit on a bed so if you drop anything it lands near you and you can find it. Practice screwing them together in front of you but not looking at it as you have to do it by feel. Just takes time really, get the bar in your ear, hold the back of the bar with one hand, then get the ball positioned correctly between your thumb and forefinger, twirl it so the hole or post faces the right way (depending on if it's internally or externally threaded) and then bring it up to the end of the bar.

Then slide it around until you hear/feel contact with the thread, twist your fingers/hand round so you're then in a position to give it a good turn, enough so it's going to stay on the bar if you let go, once it's like that grip it again and twist until you it's tightened up nicely.

That's how I do it anyway, don't bother with mirrors because you'll just confuse yourself and your fingers and hands will be in the way anyway.
    Last edited by Boo; 09-06-2012 at 04:25 PM. Reason: epic typos
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 95 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

I tend to put the plug in the sink mirror on the back between the taps then if I drop it......which happens a lot!! The ball is caught!
    pierced....nape, Tragus, conch, 2 lobe piercings each side, dermal on butterfly tat

Retired ....belly button (grew out) and now my washboard stomach is a thing of the past :fronose
    got nose piercing even with hay fever

Love dermals cos they are so versatile

Quote Originally Posted by Inlovewithpiercing:-) View Post
    I tend to put the plug in the sink mirror on the back between the taps then if I drop it......which happens a lot!! The ball is caught!
    They do sometime bounce out of sinks though!

There are two things you need when changing tiny fiddly jewellery: PRACTICE and PATIENCE

.. seriously though, I've heard gloves help, but personally I don't use them. I usually end up washing my hands with cold water a lot between attempts, which helps a bit with the warm hands problem/grip, and keeping some paper towel on hand to wipe any sweat off the jewellery too also helps. Besides that, practice, mirrors and good lighting all help. I'm able to change my own rook jewellery (5mm bar with 3mm balls), and I recently put 2.5mm(ish) ends on my helices. It's fiddly and takes time, but you'll get there!
    0g lobes, 8g conch, rook, daith, double helix
    indecisive septum is indecisive

Quote Originally Posted by starliight View Post
    There are two things you need when changing tiny fiddly jewellery: PRACTICE and PATIENCE

.. seriously though, I've heard gloves help, but personally I don't use them. I usually end up washing my hands with cold water a lot between attempts, which helps a bit with the warm hands problem/grip, and keeping some paper towel on hand to wipe any sweat off the jewellery too also helps. Besides that, practice, mirrors and good lighting all help. I'm able to change my own rook jewellery (5mm bar with 3mm balls), and I recently put 2.5mm(ish) ends on my helices. It's fiddly and takes time, but you'll get there!
    I agree with the above aside from mirrors as it doesn't help me personally but I know some like it, gloves I use at the end to tighten up and can say in 20 years of jewellery wear I've only had balls fall off/out of jewellery a few times, one of which was when a piercer hadn't screwed it on properly lol! Deffo practice, patience and finding what works best for you. Also try not to get worked up, if it's proving hard, take a break and try again later. It took me over half an hour on and off to change my daith from a ring to a bar but I kept calm!
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 95 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Thanks :-) sink doesn't work- one of my balls on my helix fell off and I thought I'd be clever and use the sink, but our plug is raised so it got wedged under the lip and I had to flick it out! Tend to sit on the floor or bed and go by feel not using a mirror, but I do find I literally drop my 2mm balls before I got them anywhere near my ear! And I was intending to put them in well healed lobes, so not exactly a tricky locale!!!
    Hannah; 21

2 unstretched lobes,
    Right scaffold,
    Left triple helix,
    Navel
    Tattoo, right ribcage-
    memento mori, memento vivere

Be who you are, and say what you feel because those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter

A plate of quite peculiar on a dish all of my own