Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Having a "piercingtalk" with my parents or just get it over with and let them notice?

Default Having a "piercingtalk" with my parents or just get it over with and let them notice?

A while ago I posted a topic on here about me really wanting a traguspiercing. Since I'm still saving up to go on holiday, I haven't had it done yet, but I made the decision that I'm gonna get it done when I come back from holiday and when I have some money left.
    So recap from the previous question: my parents are really strict, don't mind ignoring me if I did something wrong or something they don't like, so they could ignore me for a week (sometimes more). They absolutely hate piercings and tattoos. I asked them about a traguspiercing and my dad laughed and said: you might as well pierce your face, it's not like we're gonna kick you out. My mom just said that I know they don't like it.

I still live at home, I'm 22 but I go to uni so most of the time I'm gone, though I come home every weekend.

How did you approach your piercingplans? Did you just get them without letting your parents know (if you still live at home) or did you have "the piercingtalk" with them and how did it go?
    Sorry for all these questions, lol, I'm just such a wuss :')

Personally, I told my parents that I had arranged an appointment at the piercing studio and was getting a piercing. I don't think my parents always approved, but they never actively tried to stop me or lecture me. I am 21 years old though, so I think they respect the fact that I'm an adult and allowed to make my own decisions.
    Have: lobes (1.2mm, 1.6mm), helix, conch, rook, nostril

Retired: 2nd lobes

Recently, I decided to have a VCH piercing done. My plan was to inform them I was getting "something" pierced, but not tell them what (because my genital piercings are none of their business). However, my mom was eventually able to guess that I was doing my genitals, and it didn't seem right to me to lie. She then proceeded to tell my dad, which infuriated me, because that's not something I wanted him to know about me (nor did he need to know; again, none of his business whatsoever). Total violation of trust and privacy.

After that debacle I decided I'm not telling my parents when I'm getting pierced, period. I'm an adult, and it's my decision.

So, I say just do it and let them notice, just based on my own experiences.
    Have: 2g lobes (11/11/12); L 16g conch (07/27/12); 14g VCH (09/01/12) | Next: stretch ALL the things! (lobes: 1g; VCH: 12g)
    Also Want: 8g septum, outer labia, nipples; too many tattoo ideas for my own good; goal size for lobes = 1/2" - 5/8"
    Is it weird that I love piercing crusties...?

Same as your other thread, just get it done, if they see it they see it, if they react badly pass it off as an experience, they'll no doubt calm down at some point.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 95 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

I was in a similar position to you it seems, at home in my late teens/early 20s into the whole body modding thing. My dad is of the old generation who believes anything other than a single stud/ring piercing in the left ear is gay lol. However having a mind of my own and being as defiant as any kid should be I went ahead and got both ears pierced and around a year later started the stretching process. My dad of course would look at me and then my ears and realized nothing had changed and just shook his head. Anyways fast forward 15 years in that time and guess what? My parents didn't disown me and 5 years ago at the age of 52 my dad got his first tattoo ( I was so proud xD ). Parents worry, that's what we do and we'd be crappy parents If we didn't.
    If speaking with your parents seems somewhat counterproductive, just go ahead and get the piercing anyways. Good parents wont change their opinion of you
    after 30,000 years of humans modifying their bodies i\'m still loving it!:-)

I think was fourteen when I had two helix piercings done on both of my ears. In pairs that is. I didn't discuss it with my dad or stepmum. My dad didn't notice until I was sixteen... Ensue questions of when I had them done and him not believing me. I think he told me to take them out. I wouldn't. End of. I think he was more pissed at the fact he couldn't believe I had them done for so long without him noticing them. -shrugs-

I think I had my navel done at seventeen, and more ear piercings followed. I left home when I was just over eighteen. I got more piercings after that, obviously.

Never discussed them with my dad because, well, it's my body and the one and only thing I have control over.

I'm thirty five now, and I do discuss my piercings with my thirteen year old son, but that's it really. No one else seems interested besides him.
    ------
    Current: 6xpinna (2mm L&R/2x1.2mm L 2x1.6mm R), 2xauricle (1.6/2mm R), 3rd lobes (2mm), nostril (2mm R), navel (1.6mm), inv. navel (1.6mm), tongue (1.6mm), eyebrow (1.2mm R), 1st lobes (10mm), tragus (1.2mm L), septum (3.5mm).

Future: Eyebrow (L), 1st lobes (1/2"), scaffold (L), nape, nips, nostril (L), outer conch punch (6/8mm), VCH.

Retired: Navel (1.6mm L/R) 8/1/14&2012, Misplaced 2nd lobe (1.2mm R) 10/3/13, 2nd lobes (1.6mm L&R) 11/9/13.

Tattoos: 4.

You're right, I'm old enough to make my own decisions, I mean, I turn 23 this year and I still listen to what mommy and daddy want :/ hm
    I just feel it's like a sign of disrespect if I do it when they don't want me to, but I've never been a bit rebellious so it has to start once, right, lol.
    I just don't want them to be disappointed, I can deal with them being angry, they'll just ignore me again. Been there, done that.

Hahaaa, wish my dad would get a tattoo!

Yes you are old enough to make your own decisions, but there's nothing wrong with deciding not to get a piercing out of respect for your parents and their wishes. Not to mention avoiding fallout.
    what's a few seconds of pain for a lifetime of shiny?

Both lobes 1/2", 5mm, 1.6mm
    Left rook & 5mm helix punch
    Right helix x2 & forward helix
    VCH, 5mm tongue

Well, it's partly out of respect, but mostly because I don't want an argument -_-

I'm 32 and my parents still don't approve.....they'll get over it x

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast