Thread: First tattoo and questions!

Default First tattoo and questions!

I finally got my first tattoo yesterday! I've wanted it since I was about 15, and having had henna tattoos done in the position since, I knew how much I wanted it. So I now have 2 magpies flying on my foot! I went to Eternal Tattoos in Dorking, they were so friendly and informative :-) I drew it all up myself before hand and took it along, and the artist Robb added in all the extra detailing. I have to say, that despite only taking 15 minutes, it KILLED! I salute anyone with tattoos!
    I'll try and upload pictures ASAP, but in the meantime, I've got a couple of questions that would be great to have an answer to soon.

1) I know that over the first few days that I'm keeping it covered with cling film, that when I take the film off to clean it, it's normal to be quite 'gooey', but is it normal that some of this goo that I dab off with cotton wool is tinged black and blue? I'm assuming that it's just excess ink (or something like that) but I'm just concerned that it's due to me doing something wrong!

2) How many times a day should you apply bepanthen? I was told 3 at even intervals, should this be right?

3) How do I know when I should stop applying bepanthen and it be fine to leave it/wear covered shoes etc?

Thanks!

You should take the cling film off the same day/morning after. Any longer isn't needed. I wash and bep mine twice a day in the first week or so until it starts to peel, then switch to a regular moisturiser. The colour coming off will be excess ink yeah, its fine just don't dab when you don't need to (only when drying it). I would try and avoid covered shoes for as long as possible (although I wore vans the same day!), you will know when you can leave it, when its all peeled and looks good Usually around 2 weeks! And where are the pics!

Edit: Oh and I would use kitchen towel to dry with rather than cotton wool, otherwise you'll get all the fibres stuck to it!

Now
    : 11mm lobes. 6mm septum.
    helix. tongue. rook. 5mm conch punches L & R.
    central labret. industrial. double nostrils.
    philtrum. tattoos.

Retired: snakebites. nostril x 2. 2nd & 3rd lobes.
    helix. outer conch. nipple.

Next: tattoos.

Tumblr. Facebook.

Hi Belle, congrats on your first tattoo

During the first 24hrs after getting a tattoo your body reacts to what it considers "a wound" by producing a clearish fluid called Plasma. This is what you refer to as goo & will be mixed with excess ink & is perfectly normal. This should be washed off using either an unscented soap of ideally antibacterial soap. Don't cover it all day with cling film as this will produce the ideal breeding ground for infection.
    If you wash it first thing in the morning, lunchtime & before bed with soap & water applying a thin smear of bepanthen after each wash, no need to rub it in just cover the surface & leave it. As SleepyHollow says dry it with paper towels rather than a regular towel. For the lunchime wash if you dont have proper facilities at work get a pack of unscented baby wipes & a pack of Bepanthen wipes that will solve that problem. If you have a desk job leave your shoes off as much as possible so the tattoo doesnt get rubbed & the air can get to it.
    After 4 or 5 days it will start to peel then you can start applying unscented moisturiser & after approx 2 weeks you should be healed ........major no no's keep it out of the sun, dont swim in a chlorinated pool or the sea & dont soak it in the bath for 2 weeks or until it heals.......happy healing
    Last edited by undertaker; 08-13-2012 at 02:49 PM.
    Current 2 x standard lobes - tragus (right ear) - horizontal nipples (barbells) - septum - right nostril- daith

Tattoos - 2 Japanese sleeves - Japanese chestpiece - full lower leg pieces Japanese - Day of the Dead Geisha on right thigh - Japanese tiger on left thigh

Thanks guys! I'm going to leave it uncovered now and wash/bepanthen three times a day, when it peels it would E45 be ok?

Yea E45 is fine
    Current 2 x standard lobes - tragus (right ear) - horizontal nipples (barbells) - septum - right nostril- daith

Tattoos - 2 Japanese sleeves - Japanese chestpiece - full lower leg pieces Japanese - Day of the Dead Geisha on right thigh - Japanese tiger on left thigh

We need photos! I'm getting my first tat tomorrow!

Can you please upload pic of your tattoo....i want to see tattoo of magpies....:-))

Magnificent Moderator Kaitey (:'s Avatar

^ You've just commented on a picture of it in her other thread
    I'm Katie, one of the mods on here.
    Please read the forum rules!

How does it feel after a month?