Thread: Snug piercing - and using different jewellery

Default Snug piercing - and using different jewellery

So I got my snug done about 5 months ago (give or take a few weeks). The piercer said he usually prefered to do this piercing with a ring/hoop of some sort but after looking at my ear thought a bar would be better. He reccomended a curved one but only had straight ones in and gave me the choice of coming back or getting it done with a straight one.

I got the straight bar and after 5 months its still very swollen and painful to lie on. My piercer said once healed it might be a good idea to change to a curved bar but im wondering if changing now would help or worsen the healing process? Im thinking that it might help (ive read from research they heal better with curved bars - less resistance from the natural shape of the ear?) however im wondering if the shape of the piercing now (having used a straight bar) might cause a problem when trying to put a curved bar in.

My next question is about sizing of a curved bar if i was to use one? Should it be longer than a straight bar to allow for the shape? Or should it be the same size?

Ouch. I don't know a great deal about snugs specifically, but a straight bar is going to be putting a lot of pressure on the piercing site. I'd get a curved bar in there ASAP, the size will depend on your ear, amount of swelling, etc. Best bet is go back to your piercer and get them to fit an appropriate size curved bar. I'm sure someone with more knowledge on snugs could be a bit more helpful but these are just my initial thoughts. Good luck
    I'm Sam Come & say hi!
    Twitter Facebook

Nipple Cross. Tongue. Conch. Nostrils. 10mm Lobes. Nipple.

Go back to a competent piercer who has a range of curved barbells in stock. They will know what length to allow, and will hopefully be able to change it quickly for you. Straight bars aren't suitable for snug piercings, they're one of the most anatomy dependent piercings.
    Current: Double nostrils, philtrum, nipple. Various cartilage, 9/16'' lobes.
    Retired: Nipple, navel x4, wrist, nape, MD, tongue web x2, lower lip piercings x4, nostril, helix, lobe piercings, septum, cheek piercings.
    4 tattoos.

What is my life for and what am I going to do with it? I don't know and I'm afraid. I can never read all the books I want; I can never be all the people I want and live all the lives I want.
    Facebook

Yes, don't go back to that piercer, they seem pretty incompetent!
    Go to someone who actually knows what they're doing and they will be able to help you with all of that and your poor ear will be able to feel better!
    Now:
    left ear: lobes x2, tragus, helix, rook
    right ear: lobes x2, upper helix kinda thing
    left nostril, navel, septummmm!

Later:
    right forward helix or tragus, conch, maybe another lobe
    another helix on left ear
    tongue

Tattoos:

heart on my right foot <3

definatly a curved bar in a snug! mine took a while to settle down fully even with a curved bar in it.

3 x helix (1.6mm, 8mm), rook, snug, 2 x tragus (1.2mm, 4mm), 2 x daith, anti tragus, 2 x 16mm lobes, 6mm conch punch, 8mm helix punch

double nostrils, philtrum, double septum (2mm, 10mm)

3.2mm + 2.4mm navel, 2 x horizontal nipple, R vertical 2.4mm nipple, 2 x inner labia

want:6mm tragus

Thanks for the advice! Didnt realise a straight one was going to be quite so bad for it otherwise i would have waited.
    I have got a curved bar put in now and it feels better already, much less pressure

i had straight bars in my old almost snug (they went out the rim but were a snug position?) and both rejected out. i now have a lovely scar going across one ear becuase of it :/

3 x helix (1.6mm, 8mm), rook, snug, 2 x tragus (1.2mm, 4mm), 2 x daith, anti tragus, 2 x 16mm lobes, 6mm conch punch, 8mm helix punch

double nostrils, philtrum, double septum (2mm, 10mm)

3.2mm + 2.4mm navel, 2 x horizontal nipple, R vertical 2.4mm nipple, 2 x inner labia

want:6mm tragus

I got mine done about 6 months ago, he put in a curved barbell, and i haven't had too many problems with it *knock on wood* well i kinda take that back, at first when i was doing SSS it got really swollen and red and i could feel my pulse in it.. then after i realized what was causing that i've since stoped. all i do now is when i get in the shower i just rinse it off really well with just water and don't touch it.. ever.. if i see crusties on it, i will get a q-tip and dip it in alcohol and let it dry for a bit then somehwat clean around it... gooooodluck!

Quote Originally Posted by payyden View Post
    I got mine done about 6 months ago, he put in a curved barbell, and i haven't had too many problems with it *knock on wood* well i kinda take that back, at first when i was doing SSS it got really swollen and red and i could feel my pulse in it.. then after i realized what was causing that i've since stoped. all i do now is when i get in the shower i just rinse it off really well with just water and don't touch it.. ever.. if i see crusties on it, i will get a q-tip and dip it in alcohol and let it dry for a bit then somehwat clean around it... gooooodluck!
    Ooo I really wouldn't put alcohol on a healing piercing...its very harsh and drying.
    Now:
    left ear: lobes x2, tragus, helix, rook
    right ear: lobes x2, upper helix kinda thing
    left nostril, navel, septummmm!

Later:
    right forward helix or tragus, conch, maybe another lobe
    another helix on left ear
    tongue

Tattoos:

heart on my right foot <3