Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: 12 year old daughter wants tongue pierced...ADVICE?

Default 12 year old daughter wants tongue pierced...ADVICE?

My daughter wanted her belly button done and i let her as i think its pretty, she then asked for extra ears and tragus and smiley (i think) to be done i said no as she was caught piercing herself and after telling her how unsafe it was to do it herself she was then caught in school piercing another child!!! i told her not to ask for more as i let her get something and she took the *BEEEEP* recently she has asked for her tongue to be pierced i try to be fair but with her and i have no real reason to say no other than the previous escapade i thought i didnt like it but its not too bad, i am worried about her teeth tho and i have said no to the others and she seems to have forgot she wanted them so i think it was good to say no, plus she always has to push it despite being a good kid she can be unreasonable,

Can any one advise on tongue piercings and/or 12 year olds!!

I think 12 years old is too young to get anything besides the ears pierced. The body still needs to do a lot of developing and her piercing would "grow out" too fast (don't know how to translate that decently, lol) since she's growing. I'd say let the ears be pierced but the rest has to wait till she's 16. There's a reason why there's an age limit.
    But all this is just my opinion.

I'd say no way on a child that young, then again I would have said that for the navel too as she's still growing but that's just me. My step-daughters waited til they were 16 for anything other than their ears and respected that. Do school not have any kind of policy with piercings?

If she's throwing tantrums over it then you'll have to explain to her that it's your decision and you're concerned for her health and wellbeing and it's best to wait until her mouth and teeth are fully formed.

If she's childish enough to try and self pierce and pierce others and put herself and other kids in danger then she's not mature enough to look after piercings.

Educate yourself massively and pass the knowledge on to her and hopefully in a few years she'll know a lot more and also how to look after herself and her piercings.

There are no age limits as such on piercings in the UK aside from genital piercings which have to be 16+ (yes it's 16 not 18), however some piercers will impose their own restrictions, mine for example will not pierce anyone under 16 (over 18 for genital).
    Last edited by Boo; 07-19-2012 at 10:26 PM.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 95 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Thank you, i was ok with her belly as it is just skin although truthfully i was unaware of high risk of infections in that area even so she did keep it clean and had no problems, i was told it may grow out especially as shes super skinny. thanks for putting it so clearly redraven i tried to talk to her and she was extremely childish however i think it is her hormones as she has been quite down the past few days. She does do silly things and its dissapointing as she is top of all her classes and extremely intelligent but lacks common sense which makes her infuriating lol. i will research and stick to original plan of when shes 16 she can do it.

Honestly, good piercers won't pierce the tongue of a 12-year-old even with parental consent. She can wait... it won't be the end of the world even if it seems like it to her now.
    I'm Lindsay.
    Piercings:
    Ears: Right conch, left conch, left double helix, 1/2" lobes.
    Other: Both nostrils, septum, VCH, navel
    RIP: Left eyebrow, right double tragus
    7 tattoos!

I got my tongue done at 17. I wouldn't allow my children to have anything done until 16. Young kids these days see it as a fad. Like a new pair if shoes its something you need to research first
    When I was under 16 I was only allowed ears and I talked my parents into a nose piecing because everyone else had one... I ended up removing it as I got older anyway

If she wanted ears then decided tongue she obviously hasn't got her mind set. Like me now I leave it a while to see if I still want it and research loads

Few months ago I wanted dimple piercings. But now I don't so I'm glad I didn't jump into something.

I think with my children if they said they wanted a certain piercing I'd make them wait and see if they can prove it like how long will the nagging be. If its months then they must be serious and let them research themselfs on the dangers.

Let her educate and research it herself and see how she reacts then.
    A shiney stud in the tongue might look cool to show off to friends but I was in pain afterwards with all the swelling.

I don't think 12 is a good age for a tongue piercing. I would make her wait until she is older.

Personally I don't think a tongue piercing is a suitable piercing for a young girl, as it has sexual connotations.
    Other piercings I would't be as concerned about, depending on the level of maturity of the 12 yr old. I would much rather my daughter was pierced correctly with my full knowledge than pierce herself behind my back with god only knows what.
    Maybe you could come to an arrangement and let her get a piercing you both agree on at a certain age, eg a tragus or helix piercing for her 13th birthday, if she agrees to not pierce her smiley/tongue until she is 16, whatever you are happy with.
    Current piercings:
    Left ear: 7 x lobes, right ear: 2 x lobes, auricle, inner conch. Central labret, left nostril, right nostril x 2

Past piercings:
    Navel, right tragus, 2 x right helix

Future piercings:
    Right ear: Tragus, triple forward helix

Considering:
    VCH, tongue frenulum

I agree 12 is definitely too young in my opinion. I was 14 when I got my tongue pierced and still a lot of people think that's too young. But my relationship with my mother is quite strong and she felt I was mature enough to get it. I'm not unreasonable and haven't been for quite some time. If she's still acting that way towards your rules I think she should wait.
    ~Gabby~

Current - lobes, forward helix, outer conch, rook, surface tragus, tongue, nose, navel, and wrist dermal
    Want - anti tragus and conch
    Retired - snakebites, tragus, helix and bottom navel

Quote Originally Posted by *Stella* View Post
    Personally I don't think a tongue piercing is a suitable piercing for a young girl, as it has sexual connotations.
    Sorry but that's complete and utter nonsense. It only has sexual connotations if that's your view of the piercing. It bugs me when people say that, the tongue's primary use is to assist with speech, swallowing and eating etc. Just because it can be used during sexual acts doesn't mean that anything pertaining to it is sexual.

If that were true then those who like having their ears nibbled are stuffed seeing as having their ears pierced would therefore have sexual connotations.

It's it reminds me of people who think breastfeeding is a shameful act and should be done in private because breasts are primarily sexual, they're not, their main function is to feed a child, after that they can be used as several other areas of the body (such as the neck, stomach, inner thighs, feet and so on) as erogenous zones.

Sorry for the rant but it's something that really really winds me up. It's a tongue piercing, nothing more.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 95 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast