Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wanting a traguspiercing for half a year now but my parents hate piercings!

Default Wanting a traguspiercing for half a year now but my parents hate piercings!

Hiya
    Let me start by saying that I'm 22, but I still live at home because I go to Uni so I can't afford living on my own just yet.
    Half a year ago I saw a traguspiercing and since then it's kinda all I can think about, haha, I really want one! I know my parents hate them and they were mad at me when I got my helix pierced without them knowing and they kinda forced me to take it out.
    So my parents are people who like to ignore me when I do something wrong or don't do something I have to do, they ignore me for a week and then they magically forget the issue and start talking to me again.

I asked my parents about their opinion on traguspiercings and they said they don't like it, I asked my dad if he would be mad if I got one and he'd be like: it's not like we're gonna kick you out of the house or anything. That was a month ago.

Thoughts of getting it done started to fade for like a week or two but now it's all up on my mind again.

I don't mind the ignoring part, I'm used to that, but if I would get it done and they would give me comments on it or be mad, I just don't really know how to deal with that. The only things I know I can say is: I really like it, I paid it myself, I can take care of it myself, I'm old enough, it's not a spur-of-the-moment decision since I've been wanting one for over half a year now...

Anybody who has advice on this case and what would you guys do if you were me? Cuz I kinda feel bad about doing it when I still live under their roof...
    Thanks!

Well, like you said, you're an adult and should be allowed to make your own decisions, especially about your own body. That being said, your parents are doing you a huge favor for letting you live in their house so you don't want to be disrespectful to them.
    Your dad said they wouldnt kick you out or anything though...it sounds like they'd just give you the ignoring treatment, and you just said yourself you dont mind it so... if I were you I'd go ahead and get it. It sounds like you don't have much to lose by getting it and its something you want and have wanted for a while. Its not harming anyone. (well other than a needle being shoved through you :p)

Also, its just on your ear and I dont feel like its that big of a deal or in your face kind of piercing... would they really notice it right away and everything if you didn't show them? Unless you have really short hair or wear it up a lot...I would just get it and not tell them and just let them notice on their own if they even do.

How old were you when you got your helix, and how did they "force" you to take it out?
    Now:
    left ear: lobes x2, tragus, helix, rook
    right ear: lobes x2, upper helix kinda thing
    left nostril, navel, septummmm!

Later:
    right forward helix or tragus, conch, maybe another lobe
    another helix on left ear
    tongue

Tattoos:

heart on my right foot <3

If you feel bad about it then don't do it....
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 95 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

I know, I don't think I should listen to what mommy and daddy want all the time, I'm almost 23 :/ there are people 5 years younger than me who do what they want..
    I was 17 when I got the helix done, when I came home my dad said: you better take it out. And because I was afraid of them (emotional blackmailing is effective on me) I took it out.
    It's not like I would feel guilty for doing it, I mean, I'm a grown up and I can take care of myself. If it wasn't for uni I would be living by myself now and have a job. I would feel bad if they found out and they would ignore me again...

Eh.. I got a similar reaction from my mum over my rook, I was in the same situation you're in, 20 and at uni (living at home in holidays). I did it without telling her, and she spotted it eventually, asked what it was, then ignored me for an hour or so, then things went back to normal and she hasn't mentioned it since.

Only you can make the decision if it's worth it to you, from my experience you won't change what your parents think about it, and you know best how they'll react. I'd suggest telling them what you're doing though and not going behind their backs, it just makes things worse when they do find out, heh.. Hopefully they'll respect that it's your decision as an adult
    0g lobes, 8g conch, rook, daith, double helix
    indecisive septum is indecisive

Well, they know I want it since I asked their opinion, so it's not that I'm doing it behind their back.
    (yes, I'm trying to convince myself and grow some balls and do it, haha)

In my honest opinion, it's not doing it behind their back. Yes, you may live in their home or whatnot, but you are 22. At this point, I don't think anyone can tell you what to do with your body -- you're old enough to know any consequences and make a proper decision.

My father is the same way. He wouldn't kick me out, but he's not exactly "Oh, that's neat, daughter!" I showed him my tattoo and I got the "Why would you wreck your body, do you know what that'll look like when you're 60?" *eyeroll* And when I got my second lobes done he said take them out(He wasn't serious but It's that tone of I-Dont-Really-Approve-But-This-Could-Be-Worse), and when I got my eyebrow done he had another whitty remark, and now that he's seen my Daith he just laughs to himself and shakes his head. Ultimately, it's my body, my decision if I want a piercing here or there, even if he doesn't approve. It makes me happy, so I do it.
    tumblr// facebook

have;
    10g first + 14g second lobes, right helix,
    left daith, right conch, paired nostrils,
    vertical labret.
    horizontal nipples.
    want;
    industrial, septum, rook,
    third lobe, outer conch.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonface View Post

My father is the same way. He wouldn't kick me out, but he's not exactly "Oh, that's neat, daughter!" I showed him my tattoo and I got the "Why would you wreck your body, do you know what that'll look like when you're 60?" *eyeroll*
    I think if I got a tattoo (and know it, cuz I'm planning on getting one, this I won't tell them, lol) they would actually kick me out :')

If you ask their permission you will keep doing this for many years. Get it done but don't make a big fuss about it. I left home at 18 & I returned on a uni break with my lobes pierced. I ahad been wanting them done for 10 years & they had refused permission. I was shocked when my father said they looked nice. I am sure they will be aware that at 22 years old you are an Adult & are capable of making decisions for yourself but its untested. Good luck. Currently I now have a nose piercing 2nd lobes & a helix & when they next see me they will freak. I am in my early 40's. I doubt it will ever be any different no matter what age I am.
    Jo

Will the day be bright or cloudy?
    Sweetly has its dawn begun
    But the heaven may shake with thunder
    Ere the setting of the sun
    Emily Bronte 1836

I have: First lobes, single Right nostril, left tragus, naval, left Conch and new Right 14 gauge conch
    Retired 2nd lobes, daith, rook and helix8

Quote Originally Posted by Bimbielf View Post
    If you ask their permission you will keep doing this for many years. Get it done but don't make a big fuss about it.
    I just ask it because I still live under their roof. They said they wouldn't like it but hey, I don't like it when they ignore me for days/weeks and it's not like they stop doing it cuz of that.
    If I would get it done and they would make some comments about it, I just don't really know what to say to them about it.

Maybe he reacted because he realised you're old enough to make your own decision? If you weren't back then, but you are now, so now he shouldn't say nothing much about your piercings in my opinion..

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast