Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: airport worries

Default airport worries

i am having huge worries about josh coping well in the airports when we fly to australia in 2 weeks. we have a 9hour layover in singapore!! what i would like to know is if you saw a lost child wearing this would you help him?? he could be screaming, hitting, kicking. or he could just be sitting in a corner not wanting to look at you or speak to you.

*Danni*
    Current
    left lobe, 6mm + 2 at 1.6, rook, 2 x helix, conch
    right lobe, 6mm + 2 at 1.6, rook, tragus
    septum, 4mm
    eyebrow, nose, tongue (3.2mm), both nipples, navel, vch,
    cherry blossom leg branding
    Retired
    surface navel, sternum skin diver, 3x wrist MDs

Yep I would and I would have answered the same before being a parent let alone a parent and aunty of ASD children.

Have you contacted the airport to see if they do tours for kids with disabilities or extra needs? Manchester used to do one for kids with ASD etc but not sure they do it now but they may still do basic tours for those worried about airports/flying/travelling, might be a little soon to get him on one though.

Do you worry he'll run off? Are wriststraps an option? Am sure you've probably thought of that already though. Hope it all goes well xx
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 95 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

in singapore i can have use of the lounge for a fee, but i only want to do that as a last resort as the closed in space could upset him more. the airports didnt mention anything like that, just that they'd make a note on the system.
    i do worry that he'll run off, if something upsets him or even if he sees something he wants to go look at he'll just run off without me. i have body rains for him because he wont wear anthing around his wrists, but again if he pulls hard enough the strap can come out of my hand and he'll be gone
    *Danni*
    Current
    septum, 4mm
    Retired

Very true, I used to use reins on my son but like you say they can go, especially in a new/busy environment!
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 95 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Senior Member misstress_malice_mizer's Avatar

I might be entirely wrong as I know ASD varies from person to person but speaking from personal experience (I have high functioning autism and used to hate being in airports or any busy travel place because there was just too much stuff going on around me, large crowds and unfamiliar situations were a couple of the things that would usually send me into an anxiety attack) the best thing my parents did for me when ever we went travelling was remaining calm they discovered quite early on that calming techniques such as deep breathing helped as well as making sure I had a singular thing to focus on which meant i could block out most of the activity around me (in my case it was books which allowed me that respite)

and in answer to the question if I saw a child with a tag like that yes I would definitely call the number on the tag assuming that said child would allow me to get close enough to read the number...
    http://maliceinunderderland.tumblr.com/ (nsfw)
    1.2mm lobes, 1.6mm septum
    retired nostril piercing
    two tattoos
    wish list as long as my arm
    available on
    facebook
    tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by misstress_malice_mizer View Post
    I might be entirely wrong as I know ASD varies from person to person but speaking from personal experience (I have high functioning autism and used to hate being in airports or any busy travel place because there was just too much stuff going on around me, large crowds and unfamiliar situations were a couple of the things that would usually send me into an anxiety attack) the best thing my parents did for me when ever we went travelling was remaining calm they discovered quite early on that calming techniques such as deep breathing helped as well as making sure I had a singular thing to focus on which meant i could block out most of the activity around me (in my case it was books which allowed me that respite)

and in answer to the question if I saw a child with a tag like that yes I would definitely call the number on the tag assuming that said child would allow me to get close enough to read the number...
    josh is on the high functioning side, although everyone refuses to say it officially. its the crowds and noise that upset him, and having too much to look at. he will have an mp3 player with ear phones to help him block out the noise, and when we are sitting down he'll have his ds and my laptop.

would you say the tag is clear enough, without getting right up close to it would you know it ment autism??
    *Danni*
    Current
    septum, 4mm
    Retired

Senior Member misstress_malice_mizer's Avatar

I would say its clear enough to read without getting right up into his personal space bubble yes I suppose the best thing to would be to establish how close he'll allow complete strangers to get to him without freaking out unless you have some idea already?
    http://maliceinunderderland.tumblr.com/ (nsfw)
    1.2mm lobes, 1.6mm septum
    retired nostril piercing
    two tattoos
    wish list as long as my arm
    available on
    facebook
    tumblr

he has a huge problem with hugging everyone!! lol something we are trying to work on. but thats when hes in a good mood, when hes upset he kicks out at people or he just curls up and refuses to talk to anyone.
    im sure he'll be fine and im just working myself up worrying over nothing.
    *Danni*
    Current
    septum, 4mm
    Retired

Hi Danni,
    To answer your original question, I would certainly notice if a child on their own seemed in distress and especially if they had such a noticable lanyard.
    I don't post here often anymore but this thread caught my eye. I work doing IBI therapy with children on the spectrum. Recently a child I work with was traveling a very, very long distance (multiple flights, long lay overs, long car/taxi rides etc) to visit a sick relative. We spent about 2 weeks preparing the client with a customized social story (not sure if this is a method used in the UK), really focusing on things like "I stay close to my mom and dad", "I keep my hands to myself", "I sit nicely in the waiting lounge and do my activities" etc. We did a lot of exposure for them, showing pictures of the specific airports, talking about things like toilets and luggage carousels, showing them Youtube videos etc. Discuss the trip in great detail. It might also be helpful to create a calendar and have Josh cross off days leading up to the trip.
    I mention these options as you say that Josh is on the 'higher functioning' end of the spectrum- these sorts of things could help him a great deal when coping with the unpredictable nature of a new, busy airport. Again, I'm not sure what Josh's age is but if he is receiving services you might even earmark this as a parental concern and see if they can help any. Good luck!
    Benji
    Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt.

I know I would definitely notice that and call the number and I think almost anyone else would. Good luck with everything!
    I'm Lindsay.
    Piercings:
    Ears: Right conch, left conch, left double helix, 1/2" lobes.
    Other: Both nostrils, septum, VCH, navel
    RIP: Left eyebrow, right double tragus
    7 tattoos!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast