Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: airport worries

Quote Originally Posted by xBenji View Post
    Hi Danni,
    To answer your original question, I would certainly notice if a child on their own seemed in distress and especially if they had such a noticable lanyard.
    I don't post here often anymore but this thread caught my eye. I work doing IBI therapy with children on the spectrum. Recently a child I work with was traveling a very, very long distance (multiple flights, long lay overs, long car/taxi rides etc) to visit a sick relative. We spent about 2 weeks preparing the client with a customized social story (not sure if this is a method used in the UK), really focusing on things like "I stay close to my mom and dad", "I keep my hands to myself", "I sit nicely in the waiting lounge and do my activities" etc. We did a lot of exposure for them, showing pictures of the specific airports, talking about things like toilets and luggage carousels, showing them Youtube videos etc. Discuss the trip in great detail. It might also be helpful to create a calendar and have Josh cross off days leading up to the trip.
    I mention these options as you say that Josh is on the 'higher functioning' end of the spectrum- these sorts of things could help him a great deal when coping with the unpredictable nature of a new, busy airport. Again, I'm not sure what Josh's age is but if he is receiving services you might even earmark this as a parental concern and see if they can help any. Good luck!

wonderfull idea to create a social story!! he already has 1 for hitting and 1 for kicking. we will spend some time after school making him 1
    i have managed to find a few pics of the airport online and have shown him what its like, we travelled from australia to here when he was 4 and he did ok. i think i just worry way too much. im trying to cover every potential thing that could happen and driving myself nuts with worrying.
    thanks for the great advice
    *Danni*
    Current
    left lobe, 6mm + 2 at 1.6, rook, 2 x helix, conch
    right lobe, 6mm + 2 at 1.6, rook, tragus
    septum, 4mm
    eyebrow, nose, tongue (3.2mm), both nipples, navel, vch,
    cherry blossom leg branding
    Retired
    surface navel, sternum skin diver, 3x wrist MDs

Great, I'm glad my suggestion was of use. I forgot to mention earlier but it occured to me that if Josh was quite young the last time he traveled he may not have experience airport security in the same way that he now may have to. I would certainly talk a lot about this and hopefully also include it in the airport social story.. having to wait in a queu that may be very long, keeping our hands to ourselves, taking off shoes/clothing, puting belongings on the moving belt, walking through a gate, that it may beep, etc etc. Lots of potential room for anxiety in this scenario alone.
    Anyways- I hope everything goes well and please feel free to PM me if I can be helpful in any way.
    Benji
    Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt.

I would definatly phone the number on the tag if i saw your child on his own!

Also if i saw a child in ditress or alone in a corner with no potential parents around & they didnt have a tag like that then i would take them to a member off staff straight away to make sure his parents got found

The Tag is an extremely good idea by the way its brilliant, i hope everything goes brilliantly for you & he has an amazing trip
    -C
    Welcome To My World...

Bring Cake ...

Yeahh

Piercings

Face - Lip, Nose
    Body -
    Stomach, Navel x2, Left Nipple
    Left Ear -
    Helix x2, Lobe x3, Antitragus, Forward Helix
    Right Ear -
    Scaffold, Tragus, Rook, Snug, Lobe x3
    Ink -
    Frog Between Shoulder Blades, Fake on Right Hip, Carpe Diem Swirls on Left Wrist
    http://theworldofagray.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by danni View Post
    wonderfull idea to create a social story!! he already has 1 for hitting and 1 for kicking. we will spend some time after school making him 1
    i have managed to find a few pics of the airport online and have shown him what its like, we travelled from australia to here when he was 4 and he did ok. i think i just worry way too much. im trying to cover every potential thing that could happen and driving myself nuts with worrying.
    thanks for the great advice
    I am a huge fan of social stories & I used them a lot when My son was younger. It helped both of us cope. Jake has high functioning autism & is 9. I hope it all goes well.
    Jo

Will the day be bright or cloudy?
    Sweetly has its dawn begun
    But the heaven may shake with thunder
    Ere the setting of the sun
    Emily Bronte 1836

I have: First lobes, single Right nostril, left tragus, naval, left Conch and new Right 14 gauge conch
    Retired 2nd lobes, daith, rook and helix8

If you need somewhere quiet during the 9 hour wait, the Transit hotels at Singapore airport are good. They're on the 'airside' of each terminal, so you don't need to go through security. I normally have a 6-12 hour wait when flying between the UK and NZ and always use the Transit Hotel in terminal 3, apart from being able to get some sleep and have a shower, it's just nice to get away from the hustle and bustle of the rest of the airport in a cool dark room!
    Just a thought.
    http://www.harilelahospitality.com/t...locations.html

I think there's a free cinema in terminal 3 as well.
    10mm PA, 5mm septum, baby rook, double nostril, outer conch, loads retired | *gold star*

oh that sounds like a good plan if things get too bad for him. i wonder if they'll let both of us into a single room.

we've had a good time making a social story, josh is a bit worried about the security part of things and walking through the scanner on his own. we've decided we will try and wait till most people have gone through so as it wont be as busy. but overall he seems to be ok with most things.

thanks for all your help and suggestions
    *Danni*
    Current
    septum, 4mm
    Retired

Oh a room sounds like a great idea. Can't imagine they'd refuse a mother with her child for a 1 bedroom?
    Hm, it might be useful to put a bit of focus on security if he is worried. Maybe something like "I am a big boy, all big boys go through scanner's on their own. I can take a deep breath and try my best. Mommy will be so proud when I go through the scanner!" ?
    Last edited by xBenji; 07-10-2012 at 12:05 AM.
    Benji
    Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt.

we've been pretending one of the doorways is a scanner and making a game of it hes a bit more relaxed now he knows its only a few seconds without me.
    *Danni*
    Current
    septum, 4mm
    Retired

just thought i'd come and update. josh did amazingly well!! i did speak to someone at security to tell them about his worries and they actually stopped the line while me and josh went through!! so i had time to collect all our things without him getting upset.
    he was very excited when he got on the plane

singapore airport was wonderfull!! we had a good walk around, he played in the play area for rather a long time too.

and just as i was thinking it was time to go find the hotel this happened

he then slept for 5 hours! it was a quiet corner on the 2nd floor and he was in the middle of 4 chairs so he wasnt in the way, and yet i still got looks of disaproval!
    *Danni*
    Current
    septum, 4mm
    Retired

Glad it went so well

Now
    : 11mm lobes. 6mm septum.
    helix. tongue. rook. 5mm conch punches L & R.
    central labret. industrial. double nostrils.
    philtrum. tattoos.

Retired: snakebites. nostril x 2. 2nd & 3rd lobes.
    helix. outer conch. nipple.

Next: tattoos.

Tumblr. Facebook.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast