Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Starting Your Own Studio

dpack_1

Lightbulb Starting Your Own Studio

So some of you may have figured out that Notorious Ink has closed. And in turn I no longer work there.

I wont go into too many details but basically the owner had a lot of bad luck in taking the place on from the previous owners and things only went down hill from there.

It closed some time last week and even if it hadn't I probably wouldn't have stayed around there much longer. I never liked Camden and still don't to this day. The tourists I could deal with, but the locals, urgh, when we know we are the cheapest in town don't try telling us that you can go next door and get a belly piercing for 10, we know you're lying!

Anyways, I was managing the studio for quite some time and learned a fair deal more about what is involved in the operations of a studio than what I did when working in Bexleyheath. I've taken this knowledge and have decided the way forward will be to open, run and manage my own studio.

I have found and made an offer and a decent shop front at an amazing location on a High Street in a town out in the South East, still accessible by train from most central London train depots. I've just instructed some lawyers to go ahead with change of use applications and reviewing of a lease contract between myself and the landlord.

It will be 2-3 months before all that is finished and then there will be a renovation period while I get the shop in order, but I will use this thread as diary that should hopefully answer any questions people have had about the process of doing this.

The first question to answer will be 'How much does it cost?'. I absolutely will NOT go into details about how much things cost, I will however give ball park figures and from the outset, you will need at LEAST 10-15k to start a project like this, if you have the capital to hand it's a lot better than going to a bank as it means once you're running you're making more profit from day one rather than paying back expensive bank loans. It also means you dont need to get a financial advisor to write up a business plan for you which you then take to a bank and act like you're applying for a job in the hopes they'll throw some money at you. Note: Tattoo Studios still have that social stigma attached to them so a bank will be reluctant to help from the get go.

With that said, it is most definitely worth doing a business plan for yourself, and most importantly is a cost analysis, work out how much money you're starting with, budget for EVERYTHING, over estimate your outgoings and understate your income, always add in Misc purchases and monthly expenses as this is not a perfect world and things WILL crop up that will catch you unaware if you're not budgeting for them. Do not expect to make much money in your first few months, and you may well make a loss at times, but stick with it, commit and most of all ACT! This is where things went wrong at Notorious Ink, things were too slow in moving to resolve what issues arose and over time we lost more and more clientele as we were not visible from the street due to lack of signage. If you see something not working right, focus on that problem, fix it and then move on to the next.

That's about all I can say for now, I thank everyone for continually recommending me, but I obviously have no studio to pierce from at the moment and my weekends are going to be filled with legal jargon and renovation for the next few months anyway. Once I have keys in my hand I will reveal the location. I already have a shop name in mind as well as a whole 'theme' for the studio, it's slow going and required a lot of energy so far but I sure do hope this will be worth it.

Watch. This. Space...

Interesting post and all the best with it Darren, please do keep us informed!
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 95 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Quote Originally Posted by dpack_1 View Post
    in the South East

Best of luck with this, and seconding Hazel on keeping us informed
    0g lobes, 8g conch, rook, daith, double helix
    indecisive septum is indecisive

Good luck to you.
    Labret, Nostril, 6 x Lobes, 3 x Helix (2 X stretching), Tragus, Daith & Inner Conch
    ~ I'm Faye ~

Good luck with everything! I'm looking forward to reading this diary
    I'm Sam Come & say hi!
    Twitter Facebook

Nipple Cross. Tongue. Conch. Nostrils. 10mm Lobes. Nipple.

Good luck, will be following this thread!

xx
    Current Piercings: tragus, rook, daith, conch, lobes x 2, VCH, right nipple

Previous Piercings : nose x 2, lip x 2, tounge, helix, left nipple, smiley, 3 x chest md's, anti-tragus, high HCH

Want: lots more holes in my ears!!

I will definitely watch this thread. I have some vague plans of having my own studio one day, but that is the distant future because first off, I need a GREAT professional to apprentice with for a longer time than before, because I definitely don't feel confident enough yet. And yeah, starting your own business is a big deal. (I'm sticking to just selling jewelry online for now)

Good luck to you, and thank you for doing this thread, it'll be a great read

26mm both lobes, 6mm second lobes, 6mm left inner conch, 8mm septum, 2.4mm inner labia, 1.6mm nipples, 1.2mm nostril
    18x18cm mandala scarification on thigh

tumblr

I'm very curious as to what decorative style you're going for.
    Labret, Nostril, 6 x Lobes, 3 x Helix (2 X stretching), Tragus, Daith & Inner Conch
    ~ I'm Faye ~

dpack_1

Quote Originally Posted by redribbon View Post
    I'm very curious as to what decorative style you're going for.
    For anyone here that knows me personally this isn't a big secret. But I'm reluctant to talk too much about things like that until I have keys and can actually start doing some serious refurbishment and fit out just in case I cant really afford to get it looking how i want pre-open day.

Oh, I can be patient
    ~ I'm Faye ~

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast