Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tongue piercing and tooth/gum damage

Question Tongue piercing and tooth/gum damage

Hi! I'm hoping to get a new piercing in a month or so and I was thinking of getting a tongue piercing. However, I'm worried about damage to teeth and gum recession. I already have some gum recession from past surgery so I wouldn't want it to get worse (no point having a pretty tongue if I'm missing teeth ).

I have heard that's it's possible for teeth and gums to be damaged, but how common/likely is it? Is it inevitable? Is there anyone here who has had that problem even with good placement, appropriate jewellery, bioplast/acrylic balls, etc.?

I looked into this on these forums for a long time before getting mine done and the general consensus is that as long as it's placed well and your anatomy is suitable enough for it to be placed well also then you'll find the only way you're going to damage your teeth is by messing with it or accidentally biting down on it. I can't see how it would rub against gums unless very poorly placed or again you're partial to running the bottom ball along your lower inside gumline.

I have very weak tooth enamel despite having good oral hyigene so had to make sure a tongue piercing wouldn't be an issue and I would say the split second I put my tongue back into my mouth after having it done I knew it was as far away from my teeth as possible, it doesn't hit them when I talk, yawn or anything really. Only time it's hit my teeth is if I've messed with it or when I've been eating recently because the bar is too long (only got it done a week ago, going for a downsize tomorrow).

Hope that helps
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 95 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Ok. Thank you very much. That was my primary concern with this piercing!

I was also wondering though about cleaning it. Do you need to use non-alcoholic mouthwash or SSS after you eat? Or can you just rinse your mouth with water after you eat and use mouthwash or SSS twice a day?

You can just rinse after eating/drinking/smoking and then do rinses 1-2 times a day. Personally I just maintained my usual hyigene and used none alcohol mouthwash in the evening, I always find less is more for me. My swelling was going around day 4 and pretty much all gone by day 6, it's day 9 and I'm off to get the bar downsized
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

I'm glad your tongue is doing well Now I just need to book a few days off work and get the courage follow through with it!

ive never had a problem with mine and ive had it 11 years, although i wear the shortest bar i could find that feels comfy and theres some room, i have 2 friends who had problems one always bit his when he ate and the other chipped a tooth, so id say it depends on the bar length plus if you mess with it, a girl i knew always scraped hers across her teeth, so annoying too

Quote Originally Posted by Eightstar View Post
    I'm glad your tongue is doing well Now I just need to book a few days off work and get the courage follow through with it!
    Thanks, it's super awesome now it has a shorter bar in it haha!

Least painful piercing I've ever had if I'm honest but healing it was really rubbish for a few days, totally worth it though!

It's definitely possible, but there are ways to minimize risk. Using acrylic balls, not metal ones, is one way. Another is to not fiddle with it.

As said already, central tongue piercings rarely if at all come into contact with your teeth & gums.

Venoms however, depending on placement, are a lot worse. Mine are frequently in contact with my lower teeth and gums, I do wear plastic balls to minimise damage but I don't think I'll keep them for life. My dentist would prefer I take out all 3 but to that
    what's a few seconds of pain for a lifetime of shiny?

Both lobes 1/2", 5mm, 1.6mm
    Left rook & 5mm helix punch
    Right helix x2 & forward helix
    VCH, 5mm tongue

Ok. I'll keep that in mind. I was considering venoms but I didn't want to risk it since I already have dental issues (but they look so awesome ). I am a little scared to hear what my dentist will say, but sometimes you just need to do something for yourself and no one else.

I booked a few days off at the beginning of July so now I just need to go and do it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast