Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I dislike when people say that certain tattoos have no meaning!

Default I dislike when people say that certain tattoos have no meaning!

All tattoos have a meaning behind them...in that any tattoo at the very least captures a particular moment in your life at the time you get it...whatever you may be going through at the time...you'll always remember it through that tattoo!:-)

Agreed totally. Even if it's a silly design, it's meaningful. How can YOU dictate whether a tattoo is meaningful or not?

Tbh I've said it about one I got and there sort of was no meaning for it really, I just fancied getting it done whilst walking past a tattoo shop, I didn't really put any thought into it, yes it reminds me of the situation I was in at the time. What I mean by it is that if someone said why did you get it done I'd have no answer for them but yeah it reminds me of living in a certain area and a certain time of life but it held little significance for me, one of the reasons I was happy to have it covered up.

I don't think it's wrong for someone to say it's not got a particular meaning for their own tattoo but it's not for someone else to dictate. Tbh I don't care less what someone thinks of my or their own tattoos it's what does or doesn't matter to me that's important. Life's too short to go worrying about such things!
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 95 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Quote Originally Posted by gprophe7 View Post
    All tattoos have a meaning behind them...in that any tattoo at the very least captures a particular moment in your life at the time you get it...whatever you may be going through at the time...you'll always remember it through that tattoo!:-)
    I totally agree. It bothers me when people say that too.
    If it really meant NOTHING, they wouldnt have it because it wouldnt exist.
    Now:
    left ear: lobes x2, tragus, helix, rook
    right ear: lobes x2, upper helix kinda thing
    left nostril, navel, septummmm!

Later:
    right forward helix or tragus, conch, maybe another lobe
    another helix on left ear
    tongue

Tattoos:

heart on my right foot <3

In this respect then every single action, reaction, word spoken, item, person, thought, home, job etc in your possession, past, present and future will have meaning, life has meaning/memory because it's how we view/live it. And that includes tattoos.

But if someone asked me what the 2 tattoos I got as a kid "means" I would reply nothing, in the respect that they do not physically or literally represent anything, that's usually what people mean. Just like asking what does that picture on your wall mean? Well nothing, I just like it. What's wrong with that?

I sense people may be overthinking this a little, after all isn't modification a personal thing, why be so bothered about what someone else thinks of their own body modification?
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Quote Originally Posted by redraven View Post
    In this respect then every single action, reaction, word spoken, item, person, thought, home, job etc in your possession, past, present and future will have meaning, life has meaning/memory because it's how we view/live it. And that includes tattoos.
    Exactly.

But really, I think you're overthinking our answers maybe. Or maybe we're just both overthinking our own side. :p

Yes, modification is a personal thing but I dont see the answer of "nothing" bothering me being any different than people being annoyed at people using the wrong terminology or names or something for it.
    Just like if someone is calling their stretched ears "gauges." A lot of people get pissed off by that but its their body, they can call it what they want, right?

It just bothers me when people say they mean nothing when it has to mean something. Even if the picture on your wall means "nothing," the fact that you like it is the reason you hang it up. So "I just like the picture" would be the meaning. "I just wanted a tattoo" would (to me) be a meaning.
    Thats just how I see it.

Some things annoy some people and others just cant be bothered with it. Its all just opinions and I dont think anyone was saying anything in a negative light. Especially not against the people who respond with "nothing."
    Now:

Later:
    tongue

Tattoos:

Hmm good point, therefore the word nothing shouldn't exist nor be used if everything and anything has some meaning (cept in this thread ofc where it has to be used)! lol

My stance on overthinking is more a personal one, I don't worry over what other people think of their own mods, I appreciate their opinion and move on, if they are grammatically incorrect about something however (ie where there's a right/wrong answer) then yeah that bugs me but to me that's entirely different

Do people who think all tattoos have meaning think all piercings and other mods have meanings too? Genuine question!

And yup, tis my opinion, hence why I posted it, we can't all agree, great thing about forums!

Oh I know its your opinion, I was just making sure you knew I meant no harm because some things can get so misconstrued over the internet. I didnt want you to think I was trying to start a fight or unnecessary drama.

Good question. I think they usually have some meaning just like the "oh I like how they look" kind, if not more.
    But I think they don't generally have as much meaning as a tattoo. Of course there are exceptions. To me personally, tattoos would be more meaningful because I feel like you have to put a lot more effort into getting one. Its not just a stab and a process taking maybe all of 5min like a piercing. You have to actually invest a little time to sit there and have it put on you. Maybe thats why it bothers me a little when people say their tattoos dont mean anything. Because it seems like a piercing would be very easy to get just spur of the moment without any thought, but a tattoo, even a little one can take some time and you have to pick a place on your body, have a stencil made, etc. (well assuming its being done properly...which I know is not always the case either haha.) So if it means nothing, why do they have it? If its just because they wanted a tattoo or liked the design- well that makes enough sense and is enough reason for me. But then I think that actually qualifies as a reason instead of it having "none" even if the person doesnt see that as really being a meaning.

I know tattoos can be spur of the moment. It just seems like there's a lot of effort going into it to just be on a whim.

Ultimately though I dont really care about anyone's meaning behind their mods. I mean I dont lose sleep or anything if someone doesnt have a meaning for their tattoo.
    I just read what the post was about and said what my immediate thought was. I didnt think deep down about it like we're doing now haha
    Now:

Later:
    tongue

Tattoos:

I got my first tattoo when I was 15 I'm 32 now...it was a tribal arm band...I got it jus cuz I thought it was cool and I got it at a time when tribals were trending...I believe we all have a tattoo we kinda regret although me personally I regret nothing at the same time I believe we make the tattoos the tattoos don't make us...I was acctualy thinkin 'bout covering it up but I eventually grew into it and the tattoo itself eventually spawned a meaning...bottom line it was a mistake...live and learn I guess...that's a meaning within its self...I will say this...every tattoo I got after that has a meaning behind it and as for the tribal...I will never get it covered up because ultimatley it was the key that opend the door to the wonderful world of tattoos!:-)

funny you say that my uncle has sleeves his neck hands & knuckles tattooed & he's says none of his tattoo's have any meaning.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast