Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I dislike when people say that certain tattoos have no meaning!

They have as much meaning as you give them. They may gain and/or lose meaning with time, and can possibly lose all of it. That's how I see it.
    Have (16):
    Right ear: 1st 2g, 2nd 14g, tragus 16g, conch 14g, 2 helices 16g
    Left ear: 1st 0g, tragus
    16g
    Snakebites 14g
    Philtrum 16g
    Cheeks
    14g
    2x diagonal nipple 14g
    Navel 14g

Retired:
    3 lobe piercings
    Left helix

Considering (for now): 1st lobes at 1/2", more helices,
    tongue, triangle or VCH, MDs

Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Freaku View Post
    They have as much meaning as you give them. They may gain and/or lose meaning with time, and can possibly lose all of it. That's how I see it.
    Agree with this totally!
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 95 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Most people I know with tattoos seem to have given some deep meaning to them; "this is in memory of my grandma" or "this reminds me of when I went travelling". I've wanted a tattoo since I was 18 but just couldn't decide on one because I was under the impression that they had to have some story behind them. It's only now, seven years later, that I'm booking my first tattoo because I finally decided on a design simply because I thought it was pretty. It holds no deeper meaning for me except that I think it looks good. I have to be honest, it's partly because of reading comments on this forum that I've felt able to get one done just for aesthetics. After all, none of my piercings have meanings - I just got them because I think they look nice!! That's not to say I think tattoos with meanings are gimmicky - just that you don't always need a reason to decorate your body

loadsapiercings

sorry to disagree with you. i am multi tattooed, and NONE of them mean anything. i got them because i liked the design/picture and regret none of them. when i watch miami ink, everyone says their tattoo reminds them of something????? why???? i just don't get it. apart from that i think the minimum legal age for getting a tattoo should be at least 25. too many young people are getting them nowadays, many underage. a lifetime of regret is ahead for a lot of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Freaku View Post
    I really like how you put that.
    Now:
    left ear: lobes x2, tragus, helix, rook
    right ear: lobes x2, upper helix kinda thing
    left nostril, navel, septummmm!

Later:
    right forward helix or tragus, conch, maybe another lobe
    another helix on left ear
    tongue

Tattoos:

heart on my right foot <3

Thats what my ex boyfriend said to me once when I told him what I wanted to get this design as a tattoo(that was a year ago and can't remember the design anymore)
    Although, I think every tattoo has meaning even if the other person wouldn't understand.
    I think the meaning should only matter more to the person getting the tattoo.
    Thats just my opinion.

"Hold me like you held on to life
    When all fears came alive and entombed me
    Love me like you loved the sun
    Scorching the blood in my vampire heart..
    ." ~'Vampire Heart'
    Piercings:
    3 piercings on my left ear.
    3 piercings on my right ear.
    Septum piercing.
    1 piercings on the bottom lip.
    Navel piercings.
    Tattoos:
    A tribal flaming dragon between my spine and shoulder blade.
    A tribal symbol from an anime on my left arm.

RedRaven you are so right. I think it's totally ok for ME to tell someone who asks that one of my tatts doesn't really have a meaning. On the other hand, it's downright rude for anyone to dare tell me that one of my tatts has no meaning. How in hell could anyone presume what my ink means to me. I can tell you if that ever happens to me, there's gonna be some drama!!

Quote Originally Posted by loadsapiercings View Post
    sorry to disagree with you. i am multi tattooed, and NONE of them mean anything. i got them because i liked the design/picture and regret none of them. when i watch miami ink, everyone says their tattoo reminds them of something????? why???? i just don't get it. apart from that i think the minimum legal age for getting a tattoo should be at least 25. too many young people are getting them nowadays, many underage. a lifetime of regret is ahead for a lot of them.
    I totally agree with what you say, I also got mine because they are designs i wanted not because they have any meaning. Too many people have been influenced by the various bullshit "wank ink" programmes on TV.........thats TV folks .....these people are interviewed before being chosen for those programmes & if they don't have a story to tell thats boring TV & you don't get chosen. They also give a false impression of how long a tattoo takes.....for example I was getting tattooed a few weeks ago & some bloke came in around lunchtime, said he wanted a sleeve.....fair enough...but then went on to say "I know you wouldn't be able to finish today but I'm free until lunchtime tomorrow" !!! When the receptionist explained how long it took for a sleeve & he would need to book in & the next free appointment was in August he went mad & actually said " It doesnt take them that long on Miami Ink so you cant be that good at tattooing can you" & walked out of the shop......unbelieveable.
    Current 2 x standard lobes - tragus (right ear) - horizontal nipples (barbells) - septum - right nostril- daith

Tattoos - 2 Japanese sleeves - Japanese chestpiece - full lower leg pieces Japanese - Day of the Dead Geisha on right thigh - Japanese tiger on left thigh

Scarred_pierced

I don't think tattoos have to have meaning but the pure fact that it is something you like or are interested in, it has some form of meaning, but it's not like you went "today I had a sad day, this tattoo will be my reminder" or "wow I'm at a really different part of my life, let me get a tattoo to document it" because in that case everyone would have tattoos and we all know that not everyone does have tattoos.
    I think it's cool if people want to apply meaning to a bit of ink, I could apply meaning to every scar on my body such as the ones from last years gnat bites, or chicken pox. I don't think tattoos have to have that sort of meaning though.
    If you like it, get it. Your likes might change over time, but as Freaku already said, any meaning you apply to a tattoo may also change over time.
    If I want to cover my body in bright, bold pieces of art work, then that should be fine, regardless of meaning.

my friend is getting a tatto of a rose and the number 64 underneath it and it's because her sister past away recently and she had cystic fibrosis but she couldn't say it properly so she used say sixty four roses. don't you think that's lovely? tattoo with meaning

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast