Thread: A few questions about (mostly) bioflex/bioplast and ptfe

Default A few questions about (mostly) bioflex/bioplast and ptfe

Ok, I've been reading through "The Bump" sticky and there were a few questions I had that hadn't been addressed, it seemed. So, here goes.

First of all, here's a summary of the piercing in question:

It is a helix and will be a year old next month. I've always had sensitive skin and a history of slow piercing recovery, making this the second piercing to have bothered me enough to consider giving up on it. Both of these have been cartilage piercings, both pierced at the same parlour (yes, I realise now what an idiot I am), and both with surgical steel. The difference this second time is, of course, that I was wiser and changed the jewelry to a gold-plated ring as soon as it became significantly irritated (the bump had grown so large that the labret disc was squishing into it and causing quite a bit of pain).

That was about three months in... It did give me some relief, and through the swelling definitely went down it still remained very tender. It was only about three months ago that I admitted to myself that it wasn't improving at all, and that it was getting more and more sore. I blamed this on pillow irritation, since it would hurt the most when I woke up in the morning. I started doing my SSS more religiously - every night for 10 minutes - and tried to avoid sleeping on my left side. Though the soaks helped a little, I would still wake up sore every morning; it occurred to me that I kept rolling back on my left side while asleep.

1. After reading so much good feedback about this Bioflex stuff, I'm considering getting one as a last resort before I stop trying and let go of the piercing. My question is, how do I know which stores sell the real stuff and not knockoffs? According to (what I presume is) their official site, these imitations are everywhere, yet they don't even have a section that lists which stores carry their products. Now I would just go ahead and buy straight from them, but they're just so darn expensive. I've found Bioflex items on a few other sites (including here), but noticed that they're almost a quarter of the price. Why? This brings us back to my initial question of whether they're genuine, seeing as how the official site makes a point of saying that fakes are usually sold for very cheap.

2. Would a labret really be ok use, or should I try something else? I you recall the main reason I switched when it was still new was because the bump was being crushed by the jewelry (the bar length was about 8mm, if it matters). Would another style give me more relief? Or should I just choose a bigger length?

3. I'm having some difficulty finding the gauge I need, which is 0.8mm. Any shops that carry this? Or would it not matter too much if I went 2mm bigger? I just don't want to make it more irritated than it already is...

4. And what of this PTFE stuff? Any better, worse? I understand it's totally different from Bioplast/flex, but same idea, right? Is it the same results for cheaper?

5. Kind of branching out of topic here, but... I just watched a video of some plastic surgeon giving advice on healing hypertrophic scars. Among his list of instructions he recommended massaging the scar... Wtf?! Is this for real? Aren't you supposed to, you know... Never play with it?! Lol.

Also any thoughts at all on Bioplast/Bioflex or PTFE from anyone who's used them with problem piercings would be greatly appreciated. <3

THANK YOU FOR READING, and thank you for any help in advance. :]

Ok first off a year isn't a long time for a helix piercing to heal, it can take a good 12-18 months so it's not uncommon for it to still be flaring up.
    Steel not good, gold plated anything not good, a ring not good. All those things will have helped to cause the bump. As for your questions:

1. Buy from a good website, here, BAF, Crazy-Factory, JoBananas etc. As for prices, I'm not sure, if you can give some examples it would help.
    2. A Labret is fine, just go longer.
    3. I think you may struggle there, why on earth was it done so thin? Was it done with a needle or a gun? You could go up to 1mm but stretching cartilage especially when it's not healed can be awkward and painful. So I'm not too sure on that one, may want to ask on the Ask a Professional thread.
    4. PTFE is more flexible than bioplast/bioflex, as for price again not sure but think it works out cheaper and you can buy long lengths of it and thread it yourself.
    5. Massaging scarring can help reduce it just like breaking down any scar tissue.

Biocompatible plastics can really help some people but you may want to also consider other factors such as placement, the fact it's done so thin that it may be irritated from that as well, at 0.8 the cheesewire effect may be coming into play, does it look like it could have migrated?

I personally would go to a good piercer, get them to have a look at it, see if they can assess the placement/angle and if all is ok get them to fit appropriate jewellery if able to stretch up. Either that or hope plastics work or retire and repierce preferably at 1.2mm at least.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 95 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Quote Originally Posted by redraven View Post
    Ok first off a year isn't a long time for a helix piercing to heal, it can take a good 12-18 months so it's not uncommon for it to still be flaring up.
    Steel not good, gold plated anything not good, a ring not good. All those things will have helped to cause the bump.
    3. I think you may struggle there, why on earth was it done so thin? Was it done with a needle or a gun? You could go up to 1mm but stretching cartilage especially when it's not healed can be awkward and painful. So I'm not too sure on that one, may want to ask on the Ask a Professional thread.
    Biocompatible plastics can really help some people but you may want to also consider other factors such as placement, the fact it's done so thin that it may be irritated from that as well, at 0.8 the cheesewire effect may be coming into play, does it look like it could have migrated?
    Yes, I do realise helixes have a long healing time, but I'm just being cautious and trying to prevent things from getting worse. Like I mentioned my last experience with a cartilage piercing wasn't a happy one - my bump got so big I ended up having to get it surgically removed.

It was indeed done with needle, and it was done at 1.2mm... I went down to a 0.8mm when I switched the jewelry that time I mentioned. The only reason I went ahead with that is because the brand I was looking at didn't have labrets any longer than the one that was hurting me to begin with, and the only ring they offered was that 0.8mm one. I had no idea it would make that much of a difference. D:

I know far better than to use steel. I'm pretty much convinced by now that what I have is a nickel allergy (or at least some kind of intolerance) and I know that there's a chance that even jewelry that labels itself as "surgical steel" may contain nickel. As for gold, I've never had a problem with it, and in fact my ears seem to love it. My two helixes on my other ear never had this much complication, and I always assumed the reason for this was that they were done with gold to begin with. But I suppose there's no use crying over spilled milk...

As for migration, I haven't noticed any at all. I'd post a pic but of course my post count won't let me...

1. Buy from a good website, here, BAF, Crazy-Factory, JoBananas etc. As for prices, I'm not sure, if you can give some examples it would help.
    Well, assuming bioflexbodyjewelry.ca is their official site...

Quote Originally Posted by bioflexbodyjewelry.ca
    We sell geniune Bioflex. There are many cheaply manufactured rip offs calling themselves Bioflex on the market. If these websites are selling this stuff for cheap, then it's probably not Bioflex!
    This is confusing me... On their own site their labrets are $20-$35, yet on here the most expensive one is around $6.50.

I will go ahead and ask one of the pros about increasing the gauge. Thanks for your help so far~
    Last edited by Vyo; 05-18-2012 at 05:12 AM.

You've really f***ed up with it tbh. You should have put a longer TITANIUM LABRET in at 1.2mm. You've not helped it at all my putting a ring int that will irritate it, thats also the complete wrong size and material! The only options are really to retire and start again or see if a better piercer and can stretch it back up to the 1.2mm. Good luck with it!
    Current piercings-

Right ear-
    Tragus
    Lobe x3
    industrial

Left ear-
    Conch
    Lobe x3

Nostril

Retired-
    Helix
    Forward helix
    Septum
    Rook
    Navel

3 tattoos

Ok, so can anyone tell me if going from 0.8mm to 1mm jewelry is ok at this point? I know it's possible, but can my piercing handle it considering it is still within the one year bracket? Keep in mind it was originally 1.2mm, but this 0.8 ring has been in it for a few months now. Does cartilage shrink considerably?

Also, any responses to my bioflex question in my last post? Is that really their official site?

No idea, maybe contact the company directly, however if you order from a good site like the ones I mention you'll be getting the real deal or just go for PTFE seeing as it's basically just teflon.

As for your ear no one can predict what will happen to it, it may well be best for you to go and be physically assessed by a piercer, at 12 months it may well be ok to stretch up but the usual rule is 6 months added on to when it's healed so you may well want to wait a few months yet.

Reason you've probably not got any answers is because there's no strict rule as such when it comes to things like it, may well be a case of try it and find out or go see a good professional but stretching itself is usually best done by the individual as you can feel what's right for you. If 1mm goes in ok then try it and see how it goes, if it become problematic then downsize, wait another 3 months or so and try again although stretching even well healed cartilage can be uncomfortable.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Alright... I think what I'll do is wait another few months like you said, in the meanwhile I'll stick to my sss + camomile. You're right though, I do understand these things tend to be unpredictable and give different results with each individual...

You've been so helpful, thank you.

You're more than welcome and I really hope it works out for you!

Good luck

best of luck!
    Sarah
    Left ear: 2x Lobe, Rook
    Right ear: 2x Lobe
    Other: Left Nose
    Future: Double Helix (RE), 0g Lobes, Monroe
    Retired: Left Helix