Thread: Full Face Helmets and Ear piercings

Default Full Face Helmets and Ear piercings

I have a motorcycle (of sorts) in my home country and I can't really ride it without a helmet, but I have a relatively new industrial piercing that'll be about two months by the time I go back.
    I'm just not entirely sure how I'd slip the helmet on without tearing or otherwise putting pressure on it. I did think about it before getting the piercing, I was thinking maybe having the barbell changed for two labrets with the flatback on the outside of my helix rim.
    I was just wondering if maybe there's a certain method I could use instead and figured this was the place to ask

Quote Originally Posted by Bluehope View Post
    I have a motorcycle (of sorts) in my home country and I can't really ride it without a helmet, but I have a relatively new industrial piercing that'll be about two months by the time I go back.
    I'm just not entirely sure how I'd slip the helmet on without tearing or otherwise putting pressure on it. I did think about it before getting the piercing, I was thinking maybe having the barbell changed for two labrets with the flatback on the outside of my helix rim.
    I was just wondering if maybe there's a certain method I could use instead and figured this was the place to ask
    I have quite a few ear piercings and ride a motorbike with a full face helmet, I tend to find it isn't too bad. I get the straps and pull them to the sides which helps keep the helmet off my ears whilst putting it on and the same when taking it off, I'm just very careful when taking it off. By that I mean I usually pull it up the side of my head where the new piercing or the piercing which is playing up isn't on and then gently take it off the other side.

You might find it better to put labret bars in but generally I've found that as long as I'm careful with my helmet it isn't a problem. Maybe try putting a bio past or ptfe bar in so it can bend a little whilst putting your helmet on, that way it will or should bend with your ear rather than staying straight and possibly doing harm. You can get ptfe or bio plast bars from many places including here and crazy factory, all you need to do is buy a long length, cut it down and thread it yourself.

Hope this helps.

Xx
    Hi, I'm Zara xx

Piercings
    2 x 16mm Lobes, 2 2.4mm Lobes, Various 1.2mm lobe and helix piercings, 2 Vertical Helix, 1 Tragus, 1 6mm Conch, 1 Outer conch, 1 Antitragus, 1 Medusa, Right and Left Nipple, Left and Right Nostril, 3.2mm Tongue.
    2 Septum piercings and Both Cheeks
    16? Tattoos
    Gallery

Facebook
    Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by HanjyFilms View Post
    I have quite a few ear piercings and ride a motorbike with a full face helmet, I tend to find it isn't too bad. I get the straps and pull them to the sides which helps keep the helmet off my ears whilst putting it on and the same when taking it off, I'm just very careful when taking it off. By that I mean I usually pull it up the side of my head where the new piercing or the piercing which is playing up isn't on and then gently take it off the other side.

You might find it better to put labret bars in but generally I've found that as long as I'm careful with my helmet it isn't a problem. Maybe try putting a bio past or ptfe bar in so it can bend a little whilst putting your helmet on, that way it will or should bend with your ear rather than staying straight and possibly doing harm. You can get ptfe or bio plast bars from many places including here and crazy factory, all you need to do is buy a long length, cut it down and thread it yourself.

Hope this helps.

Xx
    Thank you! That definitely helps, a lot!
    I don't want to be changing it too much as it's still new, so I think I'll take your advice and get a PTFE or bioplast bar that I can wear for the rest of the healing period. My current barbell is somewhat longer than my ear, and a fitted bioplast/pfte bar would definitely minimize the risk of the helmet snagging or tearing the piercing

Hey, I had terrible trouble with my industrial when I had it done. I'm forever sleeping on it so have since changed to two barbells, which are pretty cheap here and include the balls in various sizes. I wouldn't recommend labrets (I popped some in before my barbells arrived and they were a nightmare! Forever getting caught in my hair, catching on everything else and annoying to clean).
    Just another option for you to consider incase you aren't too fussed on the look of the ptfe/bioplast

Quote Originally Posted by Muffins^ View Post
    Hey, I had terrible trouble with my industrial when I had it done. I'm forever sleeping on it so have since changed to two barbells, which are pretty cheap here and include the balls in various sizes. I wouldn't recommend labrets (I popped some in before my barbells arrived and they were a nightmare! Forever getting caught in my hair, catching on everything else and annoying to clean).
    Just another option for you to consider incase you aren't too fussed on the look of the ptfe/bioplast
    Hey! So far I haven't had much trouble with my industrial, besides worrying a little about when it'll stop migrating. Do you find that the barbells are easier to heal with than the bar? Thanks for the advice on the labret, that definitely helps. Getting things caught in the piercing is exactly what I'm trying to avoid. I think I might change to a ptfe/bioplast bar prior to going back to my home country so I can do some riding What would be ideal, I think, is a long bioplast/ptfe internally threaded labret that I could wear as a barbell so there would be even less chance of snagging or getting caught while wearing a helmet.

Sorry for the late reply, I found mine much easier once I changed to two small barbells. All the problems I had with lumps and bumps disappeared and they've stayed happy I always sleep on that side too and other than the odd morning where I have a ball imprint on the inside of my ear... they've been amazing.
    I suppose you'll have to see what works for you. Could always do a long bar through both to keep it looking like the industrial but pick up some extra balls and trim down some pfte stuff and make smaller ones (to have one in each hole) if you find you're catching the bar. Not sure how it works for internally threaded bars but I've made some of my own bars with the pfte with my standard internally threaded balls.

Quote Originally Posted by Muffins^ View Post
    Sorry for the late reply, I found mine much easier once I changed to two small barbells. All the problems I had with lumps and bumps disappeared and they've stayed happy I always sleep on that side too and other than the odd morning where I have a ball imprint on the inside of my ear... they've been amazing.
    I suppose you'll have to see what works for you. Could always do a long bar through both to keep it looking like the industrial but pick up some extra balls and trim down some pfte stuff and make smaller ones (to have one in each hole) if you find you're catching the bar. Not sure how it works for internally threaded bars but I've made some of my own bars with the pfte with my standard internally threaded balls.
    I haven't had that many problems so far, minus a rejection scare because it seems to have migrated quite a bit. How long have you had yours? I've heard bumps can just randomly appear pretty much whenever, even long after the healing period.
    I'm thinking about just getting it switched now and then when it's healed go back to the barbell, because I really love the way it looks on my ear. My piercer never seems to be in the area though and I really don't think it's a good idea for me to change it by myself yet. I really hope the studio I go to carries PTFE, most of the studios in the city where I live don't seem particularly reliable

I've had mine just over a year now, but I changed to two barbells within a couple of months. TBH I don't think mine were lined up correctly in the first place... they aren't too far off but I still don't think it would sit right even when they are fully healed :(
    From what I've read on here about industrials, they don't recommend putting the long bar in for healing. I suppose it's true because your ear does flex alot which can cause irritation.

I guess you'll just have to see what you can get hold of, be it barbells or ptfe can always ring around first and see if the shops carry it

Good luck and let me know what happens x

Well it's definitely been a while!
    I ended up retiring my (beloved) industrial because of it migrating to a point where I could feel a bump on the side of my lower helix from where the bar ran through. It began settling pretty shallowly and when I did try to put on a helmet, I felt a sharp pain and later discovered it bleeding. Out of fear of accidentally ripping clean out of my ear, I took it out and let it heal. Prior to that I did check for PTFE at the shop I usually go to, only to find that they weren't carrying it. I should have opted for barbells, I don't know why I didn't. The other shops in my area aren't exactly the most trustworthy, so...
    I don't think I'll get it repierced, my helix is probably just not large enough for it :(