Thread: Nickel allergy question

Question Nickel allergy question

Hi...

So heres my story...

I had my nipple pierced about 9 months ago. Its still not healed. Its swollen and itchy. No matter how much I clean it and soak it, it just won't heal. So I did some research online and started reading about nickel allergy. I also went to a tattoo/piercing shop and asked them about my problem and they said its likely Nickel allergy. So they gave me a bar with a plastic shaft. So far, it seems to be doing better. Its only been 2 days so I don't expect a drastic difference yet... but the itching/stinging has almost completely stopped and the swelling has gone down just a tiny little bit.

Btw, yes I know that it can take a year or more for a nipple to heal... but its been slowly getting worse (in terms of swelling) rather than better. Thats why I became concerned.

Anyway, I decided to start shopping around for a piece of jewelry that would be compatible with my Nickel allergy. I found out that titanium has no nickel in it so I started shopping for a good titanium piece. I found a cool pincher and ordered it. Its on the way right now.

The thing is, I didn't read closely. Its actually titanium PLATED over 316L Surgical Steel. Is it gonna be ok if its only plated?
    Last edited by Contraband; 04-23-2012 at 07:17 PM.

Wow, thanks for all the help! You guys are awesome.

Posting in the Ask a Professional thread may help you, chances are you've got no replies because people don't know the answer.

Personally I would just stick with actual titanium or ptfe/bioplast as they are biocompatible and don't contain nickel.

Link to the item you're buying?

Also a pincher in a nipple piercing? Or do you mean a circular barbell?

for the best chance of healing and getting it to settle you need a titanium barbell in there really.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 95 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Alright I'll get a titanium barbell.

Still like the pincher though. I hope I can use it without it triggering an allergic reaction.

I'll give it a try once my nipple is all healed up and if it starts to swell again, I'll know that plated won't work.

Btw, people don't use pinchers for nipple piercings??

Anyway I would've posted the link already but I don't have enough posts.

If you need to see the item's page, just go to piercinglife.com/items_1077907html (put a dot before the html).

I don't think I've ever seen one in a nipple piercing, they're mainly used for septums and sometimes lobes too. If it's official Blackline stuff then it should be fine but I'd worry about the pointy ends digging into me personally!

You may want to use more trusted sites like bodyartforms.com so you know you're getting good quality.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Ok, thanks for the info, raven.

No problem, I'd get a good quality barbell as back up just in case, maybe even go to a piercer and get them to fit you if unsure of length or anything but you'll find it will probably settle with that in there

Good luck!